Have you ever played with a known handicap cheat?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
This is very true, I have got my handicap down to 3.4 and I have no chance in our stableford or swindle comps. Last Sunday I had a pretty decent knock of 36 points, and came last out of our 4ball. There was a 12,19 and 25 handicapper in our group, i just play for fun and enjoy the company of those around me. What it does help me to do is play in some decent open comps, I am hoping to play in open comp at Royal Dornoch in Sept.

I don't think that's anything to do with the WHS though, stablefords are always far more difficult for low handicappers to win. For you to play 3 shots under your handicap you would have to shoot level par which would probably be considered an excellent round for you. A mid or high handicapper 3 under is nothing, especially in stableford where you can chalk off the disaster hole as a double bogey

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I just did a check and of we’ll over 600 registered Handicaps barely 100 had more than 10% of their scores as General Play rounds, this excludes around 20 who had only between 1 and 3 scores on their record all of which were General Play, clearly people just gaining initial h/c.
So General Play scores are not exactly becoming much of a thing here at least.
We're not a competition heavy club..the usual monthly and midweek comps but certainly not every day..in fact this week there isn't a comp I could enter at all..Next one is the Medal on 31st....
We get approximately 400-500 general play cards a week....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've a mate who is not submitting cards at the moment, as he doesn't want his handicap to go up, and he is playing badly. He played with another mate last week, and they all registered for a round. On the 18th, he just said "I'm not submitting this, I'll just say I'm injured".

If they registered via the EG app he will get a penalty score automatically similarly if the registered via the PSI screen the club should be doing the same.

If he says injury he will still have to submit a card with the scores entered for holes played.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We've got a group of low handicappers who no longer play in the Saturday comps as they don't see any value in handing over a fiver for a comp they can't win! Our Div 1 in comps goes up to 10, this doesn't help! They put their fivers in the hat and play for that between themselves for it.

Where I play when it is a Saturday comp day you can only book in advance if you play in the comp. You can only book the spare spaces on the day of the comp via the Pro shop and not online. There is now one whole regular Saturday group who now play on our 9 hole so as not to go into comps.

Our group has often discussed not going in to Seniors comps because the allocation of prize money is so much in favour of high handicap layers it hardly worth the low handicap ones going in to the comp because the prize money has become so poor.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did put a couple of general play cards in this year as I wanted to get my handicap down, but it didn't really work as even a score of 83 is deemed score differential of 16 at my place. Then I won a competition with 40 points and my handicap didn't even come down from that either. In the old system I'd have come down at least a shot if not two from that, in this system it was about 0.3 and the next day I played again and it just went back up 0.3 again. I've just about given up on it now, no more dicking about with general play cards, I'll just enter the comps when there is one and let my handicap be whatever it is. I've wasted too much energy worrying about it.

Without telling us what the course rating v par is that does not make much sense.

Under the old system where I play 40 points would have only got a 0.3 decrease in handicap in some comps or 0.2 for me.

Mandofred

Visit site
There are various degrees of "cheating" with regards to handicap.
eg: Not playing the the last 4 holes to the best of your ability.
Hard one to prove, but I see blokes doing it when they know they won't be in the prizes and turn a mediocre score into a very bad one, knowing it will keep the handicap high.
Some seem to get far more kicks winning £2 in social golf and bragging about who they beat than doing well in club competitions. :rolleyes:
I usually turn in a couple of casual plays a week. I tend to stay away from the weekend comps at my new club.....way too many comps and visiting parties. Turned in a good one today.....+5 with a triple bogie on 13....two hooks (the first out of bounds) off the tee that came out of nowhere. I've got a new driver coming.....so I can blame the hooks on my current club (bad club!!)

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well after all that the guy was a no show ?
I asked the assistant pro about him, he sort of confirmed what I’d heard last week. He’s been pulled by EG for submitting dodgy general play cards and quite often puts his name down for comps but doesn’t turn up.
He missed a treat though, both me and my mate played a truly awful brand of golf ?

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Well, well, well. Does Cam Smith now hold all the Aces? if he was considering LIV, hes just probably put 250 million onto his signing fee, he’s exempt for all majors for the next 5 years, and there ain’t nothing the PGA tour, DP tour can do about it. Oh, and he does have to have ‘missing out on the Ryder cup’ threat hanging over him. Presidents cup ain’t worth Jack. If he goes, I believe pga/Dp house of cards could start tumbling. Just a thought, and also now major season is over, will some of the young guns make the jump?

Wrong thread!

(EDIT: Unless of course the suggestion is Cam Smith won The Open off a dodgy handicap).

Last edited:

Jensen

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I asked the assistant pro about him, he sort of confirmed what I’d heard last week. He’s been pulled by EG for submitting dodgy general play cards and quite often puts his name down for comps but doesn’t turn up.
He missed a treat though, both me and my mate played a truly awful brand of golf ?

Sounds like a lovely member. Bet he’s a real

Sounds like a lovely guy. Bet he’s a real asset to the club ?

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I had one at my old club, played off 2 but put in the minimum medal cards a year.
We contested a scratch KO semi and I was never up in the match on the 18th tee
He had a 2 footer to win, normally I would concede but something made me make him putt it.
He missed then messed up the 19th. I quite enjoyed that.;)

I lost the 36 hole final on the 36th hole after a great match.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
His home club is somewhere past your place, I'll give you a massive hint, it's near Souter Lighthouse but it isn't Whitburn :LOL:
Sounds like I’d need to go up the John Reid Road to access it ?
Man In Black may well have encountered him ??
I don't think anyone up here will need Bletchley Park to work this one out :LOL:. Even I got it and it's south of the river.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's the way I was brought up.
Friendly game played in good spirit I would always concede a 2 footer.
Playing against a numpty.......nae quarter given.
I get that, but not to actually win the match! It's literally your last hope of not losing at that point that he misses it and you'd just be giving him the win! I think in order to get the win he should at least have to knock a little knee-trembler into the hole, it's not too much to ask.