Have you ever played with a known handicap cheat?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought general play rounds had to be pre-registered (either in the app or pro-shop)? So if you don't put a score in afterwards you'd automatically get given net double bogey (or somesuch) for each hole?
They do but with the My England Golf app there are ways round it. From the point of registering your intent, you only need to wait two hours before you're allowed to submit the final scores. Therefore someone could in theory play most of their round, register in the app around the 14th hole or something, then having stayed for a couple of drinks after the round, enter the card just before they leave the car park.

_MH_

Visit site
They do but with the My England Golf app there are ways round it. From the point of registering your intent, you only need to wait two hours before you're allowed to submit the final scores. Therefore someone could in theory play most of their round, register in the app around the 14th hole or something, then having stayed for a couple of drinks after the round, enter the card just before they leave the car park.

Nice work England Golf! I guess no system is completely fraud proof but I can't help think they could do a little more to discourage this sort of thing. QR code in the pro-shop or on the now ubiquitous slope tables maybe - have to be scanned before a general play round?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice work England Golf! I guess no system is completely fraud proof but I can't help think they could do a little more to discourage this sort of thing. QR code in the pro-shop or on the now ubiquitous slope tables maybe - have to be scanned before a general play round?
Whatever you do there will be a way around it, unless there's a human being verifying the start and finish I guess.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I dont understand people who manipulate their handicaps. Golf is supposed to be one of the most honest sports there is, not playing in that way is just wrong.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I thought general play rounds had to be pre-registered (either in the app or pro-shop)? So if you don't put a score in afterwards you'd automatically get given net double bogey (or somesuch) for each hole?
In the case of this individual they are known to get to 9 holes and register if they have a great front 9.

Swango1980

Visit site
I dont understand people who manipulate their handicaps. Golf is supposed to be one of the most honest sports there is, not playing in that way is just wrong.
I've a mate who is not submitting cards at the moment, as he doesn't want his handicap to go up, and he is playing badly. He played with another mate last week, and they all registered for a round. On the 18th, he just said "I'm not submitting this, I'll just say I'm injured". That is his general attitude at the moment. His handicap is 18, so he can't even be a vanity handicapper.

I know another guy, off 1, who will only submit good scores. He gets around this by pre-registering at the end of or following the round, and entering the score when permitted.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think he is. Some people find it much easier to post better scores in general play rounds because the don't have the "pressure" of being in a competition.
So you don’t get it either. When you look at look at their General Play scores they are all good scores, I would call that statistically unlikely. Maybe I am unusual in that I can be ? on any day regardless of it being a comp.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm not at all. The point is you cannot prove 'suspicious scoring' when the player will just argue he's gone to pieces in the competitions.
So you think someone can always submit a good score outside a comp? Doesn’t seem like common sense to me.

Besides you don’t need to prove anything or make any sanctions. The club should be able to run a report and make people aware of anything being flagged for unlikely trends, and remind them of their responsibilities.

Swango1980

Visit site
So you think someone can always submit a good score outside a comp? Doesn’t seem like common sense to me.

Besides you don’t need to prove anything or make any sanctions. The club should be able to run a report and make people aware of anything being flagged for unlikely trends, and remind them of their responsibilities.
I don't think there is anyone saying a player would ALWAYS score better outside competitions. Just that is can be statistically much more likely their best scores would often be scores outside competitions, as they can't handle the pressure of a competition. I know several people like that, who often play really well socially, but terrible in virtually every comp they play.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I don't think there is anyone saying a player would ALWAYS score better outside competitions. Just that is can be statistically much more likely their best scores would often be scores outside competitions, as they can't handle the pressure of a competition. I know several people like that, who often play really well socially, but terrible in virtually every comp they play.
But that is exactly what I am telling you is happening in this specific case.?‍♂️

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Putting in General Play scores that suit a players intended handicap trajectory is only going to get more common IMHO, people see someone else doing it, realise how easy it is, etc, etc.

You only have to look at America to see how WHS will play out as the years pass.

We're already seeing a noticeable drop off in club competition entries as people "can't see the point of wasting money when I can do it all on an App" and that trend will continue.

Visit site
I never knew what to make of this scenario:

Someone I know got into a spot of bother at the club with the members, because he essentially openly admitted to duffing a chip on the 18th on purpose to avoid a handicap cut.

It was the day before he had a knockout match, he entered a supplementary card and as it was on WHS, he knew his handicap could not go up.

However, he played so well that he calculated walking up the 18th that he would end up getting cut 2 shots. He effectively made a 6 instead of a 5, to avoid that happening.
his argument was that basically he wasn’t required to enter a supp score, he did so voluntarily and he could not receive an increase for the match the next day, only a cut. However, he wanted his handicap to come down a shot at a time, and he can’t be accused of manipulating his handicap because if he was, he’d be submitting general play scores to do that (his general play scores were generally good).
my advice; don’t admit anything like that to the members ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Putting in General Play scores that suit a players intended handicap trajectory is only going to get more common IMHO, people see someone else doing it, realise how easy it is, etc, etc.

You only have to look at America to see how WHS will play out as the years pass.

We're already seeing a noticeable drop off in club competition entries as people "can't see the point of wasting money when I can do it all on an App" and that trend will continue.

We've got a group of low handicappers who no longer play in the Saturday comps as they don't see any value in handing over a fiver for a comp they can't win! Our Div 1 in comps goes up to 10, this doesn't help! They put their fivers in the hat and play for that between themselves for it.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
We've got a group of low handicappers who no longer play in the Saturday comps as they don't see any value in handing over a fiver for a comp they can't win! Our Div 1 in comps goes up to 10, this doesn't help! They put their fivers in the hat and play for that between themselves for it.

Can see this becoming more common

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

I am one of these people....