Have you ever played with a known handicap cheat?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No...and tbh I don't think that in all my years I've even known of one. In current club - nothing - in a previous a couple of lads were talked about...but just suspicions and quite possibly just malicious gossip.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We have a guy at ours who I know submits cards way better than he scores. I know this because quite recently we played a fun format on a Saturday morning - full handicap team event, best 2 from 4, from the white, yellow and red tees in rotation. I marked the card and he returned 24 points off a 7 handicap. I saw on EG the following day he’d submitted a card a full eleven strokes better than he’d played, claiming to have done so from the whites.

Neither me nor the other two in our team had verified his score via the app. It turns out his mate, who played in another group, did it for him and he reciprocated. This despite them having not even played together.

Similar happened the next week and our handicap secretary was informed. I don’t get why anyone would want an artificially low handicap other than either vanity, or wanting to represent the club in matches.

Either way it’s cheating, and he’s been rumbled.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
There are various degrees of "cheating" with regards to handicap.
eg: Not playing the the last 4 holes to the best of your ability.
Hard one to prove, but I see blokes doing it when they know they won't be in the prizes and turn a mediocre score into a very bad one, knowing it will keep the handicap high.
Some seem to get far more kicks winning £2 in social golf and bragging about who they beat than doing well in club competitions. :rolleyes:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In my role as the handicap chairman we looked at on chap quite carefully. He had a low enough handicap to get in to prestigious championship events but never scored anywhere near the handicap he had in any of them and he never played in any other comps. He got a fairly large increase in his handicap as a result which precluded him from entering any more.

AliMc

Visit site
I played a club 4bbb tie recently, pp and I were both off about 5 at the time, one of our opponents was off 1.1, I didn't know him but one of the guys I regularly play with said he's never a 1 h'cap, admittedly I played really well, was 1 under for the 16 holes played, but it's obvious that he isn't a genuine 1 h'cap and unlikely ever will be but he has achieved that under whs, never seen his name in medals among the regular scratch contenders so I assume he's a gp fair weather player, I think his partner was a bit pissed off with him tbh as be basically gave up half way round

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know... The committee are looking at it for next year - plans to insert some sort of "must have 5 scores made within comps" entrance criteria or something to try and eradicate guys like these entering and then walking over the competition.

Makes a joke of one of the most sought after comps at the club. Theyre in the Semi-finals with ease
That's always been possible. Remember the 'short game wizard' from the Trilby Tour?
Golf and golf handicaps has/have a knack of reflecting a player's personality quite well at times - both those who 'cheat' and those with 'vanity handicaps'.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
We have a guy at ours who I know submits cards way better than he scores. I know this because quite recently we played a fun format on a Saturday morning - full handicap team event, best 2 from 4, from the white, yellow and red tees in rotation. I marked the card and he returned 24 points off a 7 handicap. I saw on EG the following day he’d submitted a card a full eleven strokes better than he’d played, claiming to have done so from the whites.

Neither me nor the other two in our team had verified his score via the app. It turns out his mate, who played in another group, did it for him and he reciprocated. This despite them having not even played together.

Similar happened the next week and our handicap secretary was informed. I don’t get why anyone would want an artificially low handicap other than either vanity, or wanting to represent the club in matches.

Either way it’s cheating, and he’s been rumbled.
I'll be interested to hear the outcome :)

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can a club disable the option on MyEG and the ISV to stop players submitting scores from their course?

If they can, then they made a mistake in not doing so. If they can't, it would be a useful feature.
Yes that feature is available on both IG and the England Golf WHS platform, we enabled them last winter when the white tees were removed from play and the yellow and red tees moved forward to winter tee positions. No General Play cards could be submitted although it didn’t stop some members trying !

TigerTime

Visit site
Well someone thought they worked out who he was... so I just occasionally pop on to his home clubs results and scroll through to see how hes got on..

Not many competitive rounds played it seems.... but his handicap has dropped from 26 (his I won post) to now being 13.4 so I expect some general play score entries...

That is a bit weird

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
That is a bit weird

The man himself suggested someone here had emailed his club. In the unlikely event that’s actually true, I suppose it’s always possible his behaviour has been subject to scrutiny. Losing the best part of 13/14 shots in a very short period of time is extreme without some sort of human intervention.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
There are various degrees of "cheating" with regards to handicap.
eg: Not playing the the last 4 holes to the best of your ability.
Hard one to prove, but I see blokes doing it when they know they won't be in the prizes and turn a mediocre score into a very bad one, knowing it will keep the handicap high.
Some seem to get far more kicks winning £2 in social golf and bragging about who they beat than doing well in club competitions. :rolleyes:
My bil used to do this and openly admitted it to me. I stopped playing with him.