Have you ever played with a known handicap cheat?

sunshine

Visit site
I know... The committee are looking at it for next year - plans to insert some sort of "must have 5 scores made within comps" entrance criteria or something to try and eradicate guys like these entering and then walking over the competition.

Makes a joke of one of the most sought after comps at the club. Theyre in the Semi-finals with ease

My club has announced that members will need 8 scores in the last 12 months to enter competitions next year, including the knock outs. Announced now to give people time to get their scores in.

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
My club has announced that members will need 8 scores in the last 12 months to enter competitions next year, including the knock outs. Announced now to give people time to get their scores in.
Trouble is the people who this is designed to target are the same people that will just card 8 bad rounds

sunshine

Visit site
But that is exactly what I am telling you is happening in this specific case.?‍♂️

I know loads of people who have general play rounds much lower than competition rounds.

I don't bother submitting general play rounds, but my casual golf is often significantly better than comps. I can look like a scratch player or complete beginner from one day to the next.

sunshine

Visit site
Trouble is the people who this is designed to target are the same people that will just card 8 bad rounds

I think it's very hard to eliminate the "active cheats", they will always find a way. But I believe the intention is to reduce the number of "passive cheats", many of who aren't deliberately trying to diddle the system, but instead have a laissez faire approach.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I know loads of people who have general play rounds much lower than competition rounds.

I don't bother submitting general play rounds, but my casual golf is often significantly better than comps. I can look like a scratch player or complete beginner from one day to the next.
I also know plenty of people who play better in casual golf. I also know they don’t perform every time they step out onto the course in a casual round, I can accept they might on average return better than they do in a comp but not exclusively return good scores.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site

I think we’ve remained at three counting scores in the rolling 12 month period. I think eight is a little excessive if I’m honest - for all sorts of reasons there are a number of people who won’t achieve that many, unless of course you include general play and 9-hole returns.

D-S

Visit site
5 in the last 12 months is the common number around here. Although this doesn’t stop anybody who is set on manipulating their index upwards, in fact you could say the higher the number the more the opportunity especially if it includes General Play scores.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Id be strongly in favour of that!

Match is next week and their handicaps remain totally unchanged. Pure bandits and they need dealing with. Going to walk away with the third most prestigious (and #1 pairs) event at our club :ROFLMAO: Unless of course a miracle happens

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours did the same, but there was no grace period, they just sprung it on us. My mate had to put like three cards in in two weeks so avoid us being kicked out of a pairs betterball competition. :LOL: But yeah it's 8 cards required, at least 4 of them have to be competition ones. We didn't play many comps in our first year due to Covid and other factors, so I had to top up, but now I'm there I should never fall below that really.

D

Deleted member 3432

Sounds to me like these clubs don't think WHS is working properly.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Sounds to me like these clubs don't think WHS is working properly.

Its not WHS's fault that we have members who have literally only ever submitted 3 cards for their initial handicaps, have never submitted one again - and over 12 months after this initial handicap allocation are still entering pairs comps (which wont effect handicaps).

Playing the system to a tee.

As previously stated - im my case the next round of a matchplay pairs, both lads play of 20+ index's and both shot in the 70's in their last pairs match :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just outright cheating

D

Deleted member 3432

Its not WHS's fault that we have members who have literally only ever submitted 3 cards for their initial handicaps, have never submitted one again - and over 12 months after this initial handicap allocation are still entering pairs comps (which wont effect handicaps).

Playing the system to a tee.

As previously stated - im my case the next round of a matchplay pairs, both lads play of 20+ index's and both shot in the 70's in their last pairs match :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Just outright cheating

That's always been the case unfortunately.

Doesn't matter what is put in place these golfers who think winning is all that matters when playing golf will continue to prosper as they have no respect for the ethos of golf.

Best thing to do is avoid this type of comp altogether or have no expectation of winning.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
That's always been the case unfortunately.

Doesn't matter what is put in place these golfers who think winning is all that matters when playing golf will continue to prosper as they have no respect for the ethos of golf.

Best thing to do is avoid this type of comp altogether or have no expectation of winning.

Or set entrance criteria of a certain amount of scores within a time frame

Visit site
Being put in a weird spot by someone who frequently asks to play with me.

He is messaging me to boast that his handicap is coming down quickly and that he’ll catch me up soon.

However, he has come down due to supplementary cards - ultimately not my concern, but one of those cards was on a day that he played with me in 3 ball.
I know that he wasn’t “handing in a card” and has only done it as he obviously added up the score afterwards and realised it was better than his worst qualifying score.
I can’t verify his score or if there were any gimmies given to him (a few of my putts were sent back to me) but regardless, I’m not too pleased about it because it’s not how it’s meant to be done.
The 3rd player on the day, did mention they might put a score in beforehand, but after a poor start said they weren’t going to… Which also made me rather uncomfortable.

So here we have someone who hasn’t played to his handicap in 2022 in 9 competitions (best score: 35 points off 10) and yet has been cut from 10 to 7 and is telling the whole world about his gains…

Starting to see more and more handicap records being littered with great supplementary scores. My genuine competition generated handicap doesn’t look so good, when so many have the same handicap but haven’t broken 80 in a comp for 3 years?

Are members meant to police this? Supp cards are allowed to be used, sure, but I honestly think they shouldn’t be allowed at all. Too much misuse by people who don’t see that they’re abusing the system. I’ve heard of a few times where people have made a mess of the back 9 and just put the front 9 score instead as a 9 hole record…

I’m not really seeing anyone use the system legitimately tbh.

One friend tells me I care too much?

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Being put in a weird spot by someone who frequently asks to play with me.

He is messaging me to boast that his handicap is coming down quickly and that he’ll catch me up soon.

However, he has come down due to supplementary cards - ultimately not my concern, but one of those cards was on a day that he played with me in 3 ball.
I know that he wasn’t “handing in a card” and has only done it as he obviously added up the score afterwards and realised it was better than his worst qualifying score.
I can’t verify his score or if there were any gimmies given to him (a few of my putts were sent back to me) but regardless, I’m not too pleased about it because it’s not how it’s meant to be done.
The 3rd player on the day, did mention they might put a score in beforehand, but after a poor start said they weren’t going to… Which also made me rather uncomfortable.

So here we have someone who hasn’t played to his handicap in 2022 in 9 competitions (best score: 35 points off 10) and yet has been cut from 10 to 7 and is telling the whole world about his gains…

Starting to see more and more handicap records being littered with great supplementary scores. My genuine competition generated handicap doesn’t look so good, when so many have the same handicap but haven’t broken 80 in a comp for 3 years?

Are members meant to police this? Supp cards are allowed to be used, sure, but I honestly think they shouldn’t be allowed at all. Too much misuse by people who don’t see that they’re abusing the system. I’ve heard of a few times where people have made a mess of the back 9 and just put the front 9 score instead as a 9 hole record…

I’m not really seeing anyone use the system legitimately tbh.

One friend tells me I care too much?

Ultimately theyre cheating themselves out of shots and will become irrelevant in competitive play.. Vanity caps will never go away.

However, If I was off 3.8 and saw people cheating the system to bring down their handicap to single digits it would probably annoy me too... You worked hard to get there scoring in comps - theyre just cherry picking great social rounds...

Visit site
Ultimately theyre cheating themselves out of shots and will become irrelevant in competitive play.. Vanity caps will never go away.

However, If I was off 3.8 and saw people cheating the system to bring down their handicap to single digits it would probably annoy me too... You worked hard to get there scoring in comps - theyre just cherry picking great social rounds...

You’re very right, it’s only gonna hurt them in competitions and ultimately he’s doing himself no favours.

What next? Handing in a scorecard at Mr Pirate’s 9 hole adventure course?