Have you ever hit someone with a ball during a round.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I’m guessing due to course design & hole layout, connecting paths, side by side fairways, proximity to range etc etc, the likelihood of getting hit by a poorly struck ball will be much higher at some courses than others

How would folks rate where they play/played? (low, med, high)

Fairly high at our place - open with little tree cover for the majority of the course and with 4 public footpaths running across or along/behind holes 1,2,3,4,6,10,12,16 and 18.

I've had a couple of near misses myself.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Worst place on our course is the 6th tee - right next to the 5th green and ripe for a hook/pull to have the group in front ducking and running for cover. Luckily the approach shot to the 5th gives you a good view so shouts of Fore should be made and heard. Ironically, they have removed a safety fence on a different hole as it was not required (previous tee position on later hole no longer in use) but don't think i fence is required around the 6th. I appreciate they don't look good but safety is much more important.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a couple of near misses, Once whern a group were off hunting for a ball in the trees and do not leave any bags or trolleys on the fairway and so no idea they were there. Other was when the group in front decided to stand out of site behind a large tree to wait for the next tee to clear. Again, out of site

D

Deleted member 21258

Hit a lady at the Abbotsley golf club on a weekend away. I shouted etc, but hit her leg.

Nasty bump came up, by the time I got down the fairway. Son got hit by a ball and spent one night in hospital, as he was knocked out, couldnt put up with bright lights for a while etc, after a few weeks was pretty much back to normal thankfully.

I now always make sure I shout loudly.

PWok, yeek.

Last edited by a moderator:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Fairly high at our place - open with little tree cover for the majority of the course and with 4 public footpaths running across or along/behind holes 1,2,3,4,6,10,12,16 and 18.

I've had a couple of near misses myself.

I remember playing a muni in Fife that had had a public footpath across a par 4 tee shot. It also side by side 'open' fairways and the direction of play meant any slice on both these consecutive holes was gonna land on the opposite fairway, always thought it was a recipe for ball-strike
I don't think there was anything dramatic stopping them changing the order of play which would've helped

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Played in a fourball betterball knockout at Crowborough one year. Playing two old boys in the quarter final.
My ball had gone down a grassy hollow on our 6th hole, (par 3), and I went down to play a wedge out to the green. Couldn't see anybody above, as it was quite a deep hole.
Shouted out that I was playing, hit what I thought was the "perfect" shot and shortly afterwards heard a clatter.
When I climbed out to see where I had ended up, one of the old boys was down on the deck, my ball had smacked him right in the back of the neck.
They were two up at the time, and despite being quite badly dazed he said that he felt good enough to continue.
We pulled the match back by the 10th and went two up ourselves around the 14th. His neck mysteriously started hurting again then.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Itching to quote Jethro's joke about the Lady Captain being hit with a stray ball on the second fairway but it really would be infraction material
?

sunshine

Visit site
Did an appalling drive which went practically sideways and caught my wife flush on the cheeks of one of her buttocks. She ended up with a bruise that looked like a tattoo of the planet Jupiter. It was about the size of a grapefruit, with a deeper red golf-ball sized section, bottom - right where the ball actually struck. I was mortified! She forgave me though (I think!), bless her!

Sounds fascinating. Do you have photographic evidence? (asking for a friend)