Have you ever hit someone with a ball during a round.

Leftitshort

Visit site
Nearly been hit twice. Once at la Manga, someone insisted on firing balls into us on 3 consecutive long holes. My friend asked to go stop, and was abused. He did it once more so i trousered his ball….he didn’t come and get it.

The previous time. At a decent Surrey course. Someone fired into the green, second shot in a par 4, fully visible. We had been greenside looking for a ball, found it & returned to the putting surface. The incoming ball bounced at the front of the green and rolled up to 5 feet. It wasn’t really dangerous, just rude. Waited for the apology, I’d be still waiting now!!

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One put me in hospital and having a brain scan.
Full drive no shout ,I was on my own hole .
Bell went off in my head and I woke up in an ambulance.
Belive me there is nothing funny about it.

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
As a novice, I hit and knocked out cold the guy who was supposed to be teaching me how to play.
He suddenly appeared up out from a deep gully about 50 yards directly infront of me, just as I hit my best 5 iron ever.
I'm sure I would've caught the green if wasn't for his big head.
Took him to Kilmarnock infirmary to get checked , thankfully he was alright .:sneaky:

Bamberdele21

Visit site
As a novice, I hit and knocked out cold the guy who was supposed to be teaching me how to play.
He suddenly appeared up out from a deep gully about 50 yards directly infront of me, just as I hit my best 5 iron ever.
I'm sure I would've caught the green if wasn't for his big head.
Took him to Kilmarnock infirmary to get checked , thankfully he was alright .:sneaky:

Oh my days. Sorry but the timing of this from previous post has had me in tears

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Oh my days. Sorry but the timing of this from previous post has had me in tears
Indeed, it wasn't funny at the time, but besides injuring someone you could be sued/claimed for negligence and damages, for lots of dosh.
A fellow member was awarded £10,000 at my club after being hit by a wayward drive.
Another golfer in East Lothian got awarded about £300,000 after losing an eye. Even though a FOUR warning was shouted.
Get insured.

Last edited:

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Indeed, but besides injuring someone you could be sued/claimed for negligence and damages, for lots of dosh.
A member was awarded £10,000 at my club after being hit.
Another golfer in East Lothian got awarded about £300,000 after losing an eye.
Get insured.

Yeah was the first thing I did once I bought my clubs. For a small fee a year I’ve already replaced my g425 driver along with many free rounds of golf around the country. That alone has already paid it off for the next 10 years.

£300k for an eye doesn’t seem like a great deal? I know he’s got another one but i wouldn’t want to look like a pirate for the rest of my life.

Roctar

Visit site
Yep, my dad. Playing A team match at Market Rasen on 2nd hole. I was 20yds from the big tree on left of the fairway, tried to hit a lowish 7i but pulled it, smacked the tree, winged it’s way back towards us at supersonic speed and twated him on the temple and he keeled over……..he saw stars and birds for 5 mins, he got up walked to his car and drove home. Needless to say I didn’t play well after that, and ever since then if he’s watching he stands behind me.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah was the first thing I did once I bought my clubs. For a small fee a year I’ve already replaced my g425 driver along with many free rounds of golf around the country. That alone has already paid it off for the next 10 years.

£300k for an eye doesn’t seem like a great deal? I know he’s got another one but i wouldn’t want to look like a pirate for the rest of my life.
Plenty of 'one-eyed' folk on here - myself included of course!;):rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

RichA

Visit site
Golf insurance should be a must. I've had cover for decades but fortunately not had the need to use it for hitting someone and hope never to do so
Out of interest, do people take out insurance in addition to the £10M personal liability cover that EG provide through Club membership?
I thought about it, but never considered it necessary.
One of my PPs has extra cover for Hole In One bar tab insurance. His ace last week in a Saturday comp only cost him £30 for drinks! I'm willing to take that risk on my own.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Does hitting yourself count :unsure::censored::oops: don't recommend it:ROFLMAO:. A few stories....

A few years back was playing in a pairs comp. Ball had come to rest in the tree line on our 4th where there's a lot of tree roots. In hindsight, should have taken a drop, but I didn't. Played my shot, trying to play a low punch, hit a root immediately and ricocheted straight up into my face. Somehow I reacted and moved as it hit me, smacked straight into my eye socket about 5mm from my eyeball :eek:, if I hadn't moved, I would have lost my eye for sure. Went down like I'd been shot, split skull and blood pouring everywhere, people running over from fairways either side. Got up, stopped the blood, and finished the last 14 holes covered in blood, not really with it and not helping my partner much....

Got hit by someone else back in the 80's. They were on the adjacent hole teeing off about 140 yards in front of us. I was on the tee of a par three playing up beside them. Guy hits his driver with a big slice hit me in the right chest rather hard. Don't remember much about the interaction.

Mate got hit whilst we were playing in the Pro-am at Leighton. We were in the last group out and were on our 5th waiting for our pro to play his second shot. The course was closed, but some members had decided they would play behind the comp. Second shot on 5 is blind and needs a bell, we hadn't reached the bell and were standing middle of the fairway in a group waiting for the green to clear, knowing there was no one behind us. I was facing backwards and actually saw the ball coming towards us, shouted, but not quick enough, hit my mat square in the back of the head and knocked him unconscious for a minute or so. He got up and started to after the perpetrator, who didn't have the balls to even come and apologize, he ran off and hid in the trees. My mate dusted down and carried on with the comp, but fair to say it affected our young pro a little. We complained to the club after but I hadn't been at the club long and to this day still don't know who it was.

My son was in the practice nets at Leighton, two of them side by side. He was about 12 or 13, went into his net to pick up balls. As he turned back to come out, his mate was using the net next to him, and shanked his ball straight into my lads rib cage. He had a lovely round ball mark on his stomach, complete with full dimple pattern....

Moral of the stories, don't play golf with me if want to stay away from stray balls....:LOL::LOL: In reality though, I've been hit twice in 30 years, had a few close calls too, but in terms of rounds payed vs times hit, the percentage chance of being hit must be something like 0.000067%

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Out of interest, do people take out insurance in addition to the £10M personal liability cover that EG provide through Club membership?
One of my PPs has extra cover for Hole In One bar tab insurance. His ace last week in a Saturday comp only cost him £30 for drinks! I'm willing to take that risk on my own.
Mine is through the RAF Golf Association, £10 a year to join and you must be a member to play in RAFGA event - Individual, Inter Stations, etc. Kept up my membership as it means I can still play in a few pairs events as a retired member

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I have used Carrick Neill for many years, primarily as I got a good deal on cover for my club locker in case it's broken into - didn't fancy trying to argue the toss with the club. We have had the odd locker broken into and the contents taken. I get £5m liability cover as part of the policy so happy. Also offer new for old

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Has anybody with their own insurance ever had need to use it for a third party claim, and if so, how did the insurance company deal with it?

Fabia999

Visit site
Nothing serious but I have a pp that I can guarantee will nearly hit me once a round. thinned shot out the bunker into the chest or a off shot towards my ankles, I need to invest in shin pads.