Have you ever hit someone with a ball during a round.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
yep makes me sick just thinking about it.... double crossed and thinned a hybrid approach (if the target was 12 o clock on a clock face the trajectory of the shot went hurtling towards 10pm) headed straight toward a group that were walking to a tee.. hit the lads driver shaft then back... driver shaft snapped but luckily took the majority of the brunt of the impact

rushed over and apologised profusely ... offered to pay for a new driver shaft (wouldn't accept) and got him a drink after the round.

the victim was absolutely sound and i now go on an annual golf trip with him he never lets me forget it mind.

i still get a bit antsy on that approach shot especially if someones on that tee

babylonsinger

Visit site
Saw a lad hit on the head by a drive on a blind hole a few years back. No shout from the tee as the ball was actually on a shared portion of fairway but both parties unable to see one another. He spent a few seconds down on the floor and as we began to rush over he got up and started screaming towards the tee. Luckily he appeared no worse for wear after that and continued his round

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Years ago I was playing at a local municipal with someone who stupidly brought along his 70 year old father-in-law for a game despite the fact he had never held a club in his life.

As we approached the fifth I looked back to see dozens of impatient golfers stacked up behind us and as we left the green I had a word about our pace with the other guy. He said he'd have a word and turning around to do so imagine our astonishment when we found him standing on the green having a pee.

Playing the 16th I had a 50/60 yard chip to the green, I looked up, surveyed my shot, head down and concentrate, execute, and look up to find he had continued walking straight on to my line. I caught him smack on the back of the head. He wobbled but didn't go down.

I don't play golf with the son-in-law any more, in fact I don't have anything to do with him.

SimonC

Head Pro
Visit site
Fortunately not, I have been hit myself though. Standing on the 18th tee at my old club in a junior competition & I took a duck hook to the chest from the group behind. They did shout fore but I was in my own world not paying any attention, my partner ducked just in front of me & the ball caught me right in the chest on the muscle. It didn't actually hurt though, I ended up with a large bruise but that was all so no harm done.

I once came very very close to hitting my dad. He was in the group in front of me & way up the fairway, somewhere I'd never hit the ball before so I though it was safe to play but this wasn't the case. I caught one right out of the middle & missed my dads head by inches. The ball bounced just in front of him. I had just bought a new driver a Callaway ERC & it was ridiculous how much further it went than my previous driver, safe to say I never made the same mistake again.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
[QUOTE="we found him standing on the green having a pee.

???[/QUOTE]
I've thought about it often and still can't find anyway to justify it. I don't care how old he was or if he hadn't been on a course before, I find it hard to believe that anyone can be that stupid that they would think it would be ok. The same goes for the bloke who brought him along.

As for hitting someone, I did once, off our second, bone dry and a tailwind. I hit a wooden driver with steel shaft 350 yards, I've just measured it on Google Earth. It gently hit a bloke on the calf, I was mortified and couldn't apologies quickly enough. He on the other hand only wanted to praise my (once in a lifetime) driving ability.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Not me but at our club we no longer use the very back blue tees on the first due to someone taking a low hooked drive to the face whilst they were on the putting green.

Made an absolute mess of the bloke who was hit - shattered his jaw, took out about 5 or 6 teeth and needed a facial reconstruction.

I hear various number bandied about as to how much it ended up costing the players insurance but it seems its comfortably into the 5 figure range.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Many years ago I went up to the club one evening after work. There was a guy sat in the bar with a bandage on his head. He was part of a society that were there to play 36 holes. Back then our first tee was much further back and the landing area was not visible from the tee as the fairway goes down into a dip. The usual routine was to wait before teeing off until you could see all the previous group walking up the other side of the dip. Well, this guy was in the dip on his morning round waiting for the green to clear when one of the following group hit from the tee. Apparently the ball hit him full toss on the back of the head and laid him out. His head was cut and he was taken off to hospital for repairs. He hit one shot all day.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Apart from Paul's shocking pictures and story about getting hit on the eye, one of the worst places to get hit is on the temple, on the side of the head just behind and above the eye. The bone there is quite thin compared to some other places in the skull, even the frontal bone is much thicker, and there is an artery which runs behind the temple which can be easily damaged by trauma. If someone gets hit on the head by a ball moving at any decent speed, even if they feel OK they should probably get checked out in the A&E Dept.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I’m guessing due to course design & hole layout, connecting paths, side by side fairways, proximity to range etc etc, the likelihood of getting hit by a poorly struck ball will be much higher at some courses than others

How would folks rate where they play/played? (low, med, high)