Handicaps....what changes would you make?

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With the current handicap system being reviewed, what changes would you make?
Personally I would make it so that every card is submitted regardless of whether it's a qualifier or social game.
That to me would mean handicaps are more reflective of your game and also take away that fear that grips many as soon as a qualifier card is in their hand.
What do you think?

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep all rounds should be recorded and handed in

So many people hand in less than 10 cards a year while playing 10x as much golf...

Just do not believe their handicap can keep up with their actual ability when such a small fraction is taken into account for handicap purposes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No to all cards at all times for me. There are times when I want to play purely for fun, take on the daft shot, try something new. Always having a card in your hand would take away these moments.

Don't forget most of us play purely for fun. I play way more games where a card is not marked than where a card is marked. I'm pretty sure I am not alone in this.

D

Deleted member 15344

Only change I would make is that instead of 3 cards to keep C status but make it 10

Other than that in my role I 99% of the Handicaps are reflected of people's abilities

Making every round count opens it up for people to manipulate their HC even more as well as you then need people to actually administer all these cards when in most clubs it's a voluntary role

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Its easy to manipulate the system as it is, throwing in poor cards on qualifiers yet cutting the course up on board comps and such, especially since "observation " was no longer taken into consideration.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think scoring has been much more controlled since the introduction of ESR a few years ago. It keeps up with those improving quickly and snips people on form.

Our scores used to be silly. As low as 38 points has won this year. In the past this score has no chance no matter what the conditions was like on the day.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Only change I would make is that instead of 3 cards to keep C status but make it 10

I would find that very harsh. There are many clubs that only offer one weekend comp a month. So there would be lots of players at those clubs unable to fulfil that sort of commitment.

I do understand that they could meet the requirement with supplementary scores, however is it right that a handicap should be based largely upon supplementary cards rather than actual comps.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Yeah, I am with Tyrion here. I would appreciate an easy way to hand in extra cards and a playing culture that encourages it, but I don't want it to be mandatory. I don't want to give up the freedom to grant gimmies or decide on an illegal drop with my oponent to save time or even skip a hole when the course is crowded.

But actually, I would love for players to stop obsessing about handicaps so much. I think each of the systems in place works relatively well and I really don't see the need to come up with a world-wide unified system, because the number of occasions where the average handicap player competes internationally is rather limited.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think the current handicap system is not dynamic enough. I would like to see plus 0.1 increases put up to 0.2 and I would like to see bigger cuts on a progressive scale for scores well under the CSS eg 0.3 for first shot, 0.4 for second, 0.5 for third etc.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the current handicap system is not dynamic enough. I would like to see plus 0.1 increases put up to 0.2 and I would like to see bigger cuts on a progressive scale for scores well under the CSS eg 0.3 for first shot, 0.4 for second, 0.5 for third etc.
The problem you will always have with handicaps is that it needs to work across all abilities. in your example i would have been cut from 2.8 to .7 on Sunday. effectively a 75% handicap cut.

That just wouldnt work.

Personally i think the handicap system works fine as it is, its the same for everyone.

I'm not a fan of all rounds counting at all. When i play comps, i dramatically approach rounds differently than i do socially. I wouldn't want that to change as i enjoy both types of golf for different reasons.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I would
1. Integrate the existing ESR calculations into the automated system
2. Increase the reduction factors by 1 category in the first calendar year after allocation of a new handicap - ie a cat 3 allocation scoring -4 would have a 1.6 reduction etc
3. Create a formulae based on age, period of non membership and previous handicap for the reallocation of a handicap.
4. Bring in a proper cat 5 at 28 - 36 excluded from CSS.

All the above assumes the retention of CONGU handicapping ie handicapping to potential. As we seem to be on a road to handicapping on form little of this is relevant and a brave new world awaits most!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The problem you will always have with handicaps is that it needs to work across all abilities. in your example i would have been cut from 2.8 to .7 on Sunday. effectively a 75% handicap cut.

That just wouldnt work.

Personally i think the handicap system works fine as it is, its the same for everyone.

It is not the same for every one. Handicap cuts are currently on a progressive scale depending you handicap. They could still keep this arrangement.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't see why you couldn't just put a card in for all rounds. Doesn't mean you have to play differently in practice rounds or not have gimmies. Just put the card in. I think that's how the US does it? You hear of mulligans and the like, but this doesn't stop them putting a card in. Obviously the comp cards will be played properly but if we just put all or most cards in it will soon become the norm.

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm strongly against the idea of have to put cards in from social/practice rounds. I have a very different mindset in these than comps and wouldn't want to lose that.

I'd have two css calculated, with cat 1 and 2 players having a separate one. Failing that I'd do away with it altogether.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site

Other than that in my role I 99% of the Handicaps are reflected of people's abilities

Making every round count opens it up for people to manipulate their HC even more as well as you then need people to actually administer all these cards when in most clubs it's a voluntary role

THIS ! I would imagine that most clubs have a few players that play in the minimum of three comps to keep their H/C live. Having it set at 10 would improve every clubs take up of comps and therefore prize fund !!!!

D

Deleted member 18588

THIS ! I would imagine that most clubs have a few players that play in the minimum of three comps to keep their H/C live. Having it set at 10 would improve every clubs take up of comps and therefore prize fund !!!!

What relevance ìs there to the size of the prize fund?

Many of those who currently play in only three qualifiers would not play ten just to maintain a Competition handicap.

To those people golf ìs a social game and would continue to be so. They would make their own handicap arrangements.

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site

I have a 5 day membership and usually play after work. There are no comps during this time. I can take a few afternoon/mornings off and play 3 comps a year but playing 10 would seriously eat into my annual leave entitlement

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a 5 day membership and usually play after work. There are no comps during this time. I can take a few afternoon/mornings off and play 3 comps a year but playing 10 would seriously eat into my annual leave entitlement

Just curious rather than having a go but do you think this is sufficient to allow your handicap to match your ability?

I can only guess what my handicap would be if I'd only been playing 3 comps a year, much higher I suspect!

D

Deleted member 1147

I would find that very harsh. There are many clubs that only offer one weekend comp a month. So there would be lots of players at those clubs unable to fulfil that sort of commitment.

I do understand that they could meet the requirement with supplementary scores, however is it right that a handicap should be based largely upon supplementary cards rather than actual comps.

I would have thought that if the rules went to 10 cards to keep the C status those clubs would be forced to increase number of competitions, or risk losing members who want to have relevant handicaps.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think if you went to 10 cards to keep your h/c you would halve the number with active handicaps. If you think most golfers play April-Sept, at best 1 comp round per weekend. Take off holidays, family events and bad weather then 10 comp rounds is really pushing it. Only the hardy and committed would remain active. At that point others would simply not bother playing in comps and you would have 20 players on a Saturday / Sunday medal. Not much of a pot to play for there.

I doubt I will play 10 comps this year and I have played quite a bit. I'd have no issue with going to 4 or 5 comps but more that that and you are pushing it.