Handicap?

Marko77

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Post your 3 scores and the SSS of the course and someone will reply advising what it is. Also, discount anything over double bogey when counting your score.

haplesshacker

Money List Winner
mid-life-crisis-man.blogspot.co.uk
I understood it to be, no more than a net double bogey for each hole, ie. par 4 shoot a gross 7, therefore net score is a 6. However is you shoot a par 4 in 6 or less then that stays as your net score.

Add up the net score total for 3 cards, ideally on the same course, divide by 3 and voila, your h'cap. Don't forget to take off the par for the course times 3 though.

I could of course be wrong, but that was how the boss told me.

Sam

Head Pro
Visit site
minus Par from total number of strokes over 18 holes x3 and get the average.
Parmo
Think it should be SSS not Par but from a much earlier thread, I am confused:

This is a direct quote from CONGU website

Any score of 2 over par for men and 3 over par for ladies shall be amended to 2 [3] over par respectively. After these adjustments have been made an Exact Handicap (whole number) should be allotted equivalent to the number of strokes by which the best of the submitted cards differs from the Standard Scratch Score.

Please note that it says BEST card not the average of the three submitted - is this a recent change or a mistake?

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please note that it says BEST card not the average of the three submitted - is this a recent change or a mistake?

Sadly, I feel this is the current trend (selecting the BEST card of the 3) and the accepted method.

I got caught out by this. When I was playing for my card, my average score for h'cap (i.e. taking off the treble bogeys etc.) from the THREE cards was about 14.5.....not bad for many years off, and a fair assessment.
BUT, I had a lucky 9 holes on one of my cards and that card was 12 over with no adjustments necessary because my worst gross score was a 6. That, coupled with the my last h'cap being 10 meant I was given 11.5.
So, my average was 14.5, my best was 12 and I got given 11.5.....

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yup - it is the best of the three these days. CONGU say your handicap should be a measure of what you are capable of, not what you normally achieve.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yup - it is the best of the three these days. CONGU say your handicap should be a measure of what you are capable of, not what you normally achieve.

Crikey....if that's the case, I should be off less than 12.

I'm averaging about 82-83 (SSS 68) a.t.m. I could be "capable" of 79/80 (?) on a good day....trouble is, I don't have good days yet, I'm still re-learning how to keep pesky doubles off my card. If congu want it to be a real guide of "capability" then the guys who get 42 points or shoot 5 over off 12 need to get cut quicker. Personaly, I think h'caps should be able to fluctuate more. I worked out it will take me about a year to go up a shot (given the buffer) and cost me nearly half my yearly sub in comp money!
(Darn expensive this business "sponsoring" the bandits).

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Crikey....if that's the case, I should be off less than 12.

I'm averaging about 82-83 (SSS 68) a.t.m. I could be "capable" of 79/80 (?) on a good day....trouble is, I don't have good days yet, I'm still re-learning how to keep pesky doubles off my card. If congu want it to be a real guide of "capability" then the guys who get 42 points or shoot 5 over off 12 need to get cut quicker. Personaly, I think h'caps should be able to fluctuate more. I worked out it will take me about a year to go up a shot (given the buffer) and cost me nearly half my yearly sub in comp money!
(Darn expensive this business "sponsoring" the bandits).
I claim no expertise on this but the way I read it was that your h/c reflects your "best" days and not your average days. Also, not sure if I read it on the congu site, but recall reading somewhere that you should only play to your handicap about 25% of the time. So if you're averaging 14 over sss with your 82s, then 12 is a better reflection of what you are capable of. (And the brilliant 77-78s when they come (they will :)) are the "exceptions" - and I guess are why one only gets cut in 0.1s