Handicap & Covid 19

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Has there been any directive re potentially not getting the required number of cards in to keep an active handicap/index this year?

I appreciate I may be a tad premature with this question and hopefully by June/July we'll all be back in full swing with competition golf. Just wondering if any contingency has been discussed anywhere.

I'm personally not prepared to play golf at present in a large scale competition where there is a greater risk to people's health.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Has there been any directive re potentially not getting the required number of cards in to keep an active handicap/index this year?

I appreciate I may be a tad premature with this question and hopefully by June/July we'll all be back in full swing with competition golf. Just wondering if any contingency has been discussed anywhere.

I'm personally not prepared to play golf at present in a large scale competition where there is a greater risk to people's health.

There is no competition status of handicap in WHS - just a Handicap Index.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't see this being an issue. Our course was busy today, and the only difference was that there were no rakes in the bunkers. Apart from that, and the clubhouse being closed, it was business as usual.

PS I think there is a directive that you can mark your own card.

D

Deleted member 1147

Our club is having one person mark one card for the whole group, with no counter signature

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Non issue - the formulae for calculating the handicap to be applied covers all eventualities ie if no one was able to play a single Q round between now and the implementation everyone's new WHS handicap could be calculated. The argument that the more rounds you record the more accurate your handicap will be is, to some degree, countered by this formulae already.

There's also an argument that for many any handicap based of them last playing a year ago (could happen) is likely to be a little flaky....but some regularily stop for 6 months every year!

From the point people start playing Q rounds (or equivilent) handicap index will be adjusted in almost exactly the same way for rounds subsequently played as it would have been for rounds played prior to that point for anyone who plays much in comps - and if they don't it doesn't much matter, and it will tune in over time (like all handicapping) anyway - you are going to have people with handicaps based on play over many years going forwards.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't see this being an issue. Our course was busy today, and the only difference was that there were no rakes in the bunkers. Apart from that, and the clubhouse being closed, it was business as usual.

PS I think there is a directive that you can mark your own card.

Irrespective re how casual you and your pals/fellow members may be I am not prepared to play golf at this time hence why I was asking. I am perfectly aware that people will defy advice from experts and continue to play while standing in 4 balls in close proximity to each other on the tee waiting for the hole to clear. I am just not prepared to golf at this time.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Non issue - the formulae for calculating the handicap to be applied covers all eventualities ie if no one was able to play a single Q round between now and the implementation everyone's new WHS handicap could be calculated. The argument that the more rounds you record the more accurate your handicap will be is, to some degree, countered by this formulae already.

There's also an argument that for many any handicap based of them last playing a year ago (could happen) is likely to be a little flaky....but some regularily stop for 6 months every year!

From the point people start playing Q rounds (or equivilent) handicap index will be adjusted in almost exactly the same way for rounds subsequently played as it would have been for rounds played prior to that point for anyone who plays much in comps - and if they don't it doesn't much matter, and it will tune in over time (like all handicapping) anyway - you are going to have people with handicaps based on play over many years going forwards.

So in theory if I don't manage a medal at all this year I will still get an index calculated on previous results?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you have at least 3 qualifying scores since January 2018 you will be guaranteed to get a WHS handicap.

if less than 8 it is a simple formula. If more than 8 average of the best 8 from the last 20 or less than 20.

D

Deleted member 3432

So in theory if I don't manage a medal at all this year I will still get an index calculated on previous results?

In the current climate having an active handicap or whatever its going to be called is the least of our worries.

I'm not going to be playing any comps till normality resumes, may play a few 2 ball games with a mate who I know will follow the proximity guidelines etc.

Only played 4 comps last year, 3 of which were NR's so who knows what I will be playing off in future, could be anywhere between my current 5 or 28 :ROFLMAO:

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm fortunate enough to have played 7 qualifiers this year , but now the club is closed and they've cancelled all comps for the foreseeable future. But my 2nd club we are still out playing and have very stringent rules which everyone has stuck to , its about common sense and not being stupid , stay safe lads

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I would have thought it all depends on how long this goes on. No point issuing a directive as no one knows what will happen this year.

All our comps have been deemed non qualifiers until further notice.... we don’t have qualifiers in the winter and would have only have started them about now.

In the scheme of things, who cares about handicaps right now? (I hear the rules dudes combusting right now!) It will all come out in the wash when the world returns to normal, we‘ll sort out the WHS at some point.

We’re still playing, but non qualifiers... and a raft of safety changes. Some are staying away, many are not.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yes have to agree.... going forwards H/cap is a minor issue... staying safe is the main thing. Having played 43 Q-Comps last year I'm not concerned how many I get in this. As I play away a lot in Opens & other opportunities, I expect this to be a very different year of golf but I'll make the most of it & hope I get through it, to again enjoy rich & varied golfing opportunities. Take care everyone & be patient.

User20204

Visit site
Conversely, golf is allowing me to take my mind of what is probably about to be a catastrophe both health and financially, I'll continue to play.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
We only need to limp to November for when WHS comes into play, then it’s all change anyway.

I think in these exceptional circumstances we’ll just have to wing it dependent on how long this crap situation lingers.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Irrespective re how casual you and your pals/fellow members may be I am not prepared to play golf at this time hence why I was asking. I am perfectly aware that people will defy advice from experts and continue to play while standing in 4 balls in close proximity to each other on the tee waiting for the hole to clear. I am just not prepared to golf at this time.

Which experts are advising against continuing to play golf? We are always aware of the two metre advice and adhere to it.

https://scottishgolf.org/covid-19-update-grassroots-golf/

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Which experts are advising against continuing to play golf? We are always aware of the two metre advice and adhere to it.

https://scottishgolf.org/covid-19-update-grassroots-golf/

How about every health organisation that is telling you to socially isolate. Standing on a tee in close proximity is not doing that. There is no scientific proof that 2m is safe it's only a recommendation.

Stay in. Stay safe. Reduce exposure and contamination is key.