Handicap & Covid 19

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
It seems that golf is going to 'get by' as an outdoor pursuit although I would not be surprised if there is an order that everything closes within the next few days.

I guess in theory golf could still exist with it being 100% outdoors and min 2M distance between people. Small chance of contamination with retrieving the ball from the hole, and the difference that in social golf you might only 'hole out' on 25% of the holes. But surely this risk is minimal if you use hand sanitiser.

Bunkers another problem and I think, given the times we are in, it would entirely reasonable for a local rule to be put in place that people can lift, smooth and place their ball in a bunker. I'm sure there isn't a rule in golf that would allow this - but I say 'so what!?'. Possibly they could order all bunkers GUR which would be within the scope of the rules.

Greenstaff as well would be risking infection, although I guess that could be managed / minimised as well but I'm sure would add to the workload cleaning down vehicles and equipment and not being able to gather / shelter indoors.

Competition golf requires that bit more admin, but I believe it would be entirely possible for this admin to be done in such a way that risk was virtually zero, again with a few relaxations of the rules. For example, people not swapping cards and score entry to the computer system being done my one person with people sending in a photo of their card for entry. Sign in could also be done remotely via whatsapp or similar.

But the big problem in all of this is people. People are creatures of habit and generally stupid and we are already hearing stories of roll up groups turning up as normal. All meeting on the putting green and shaking hands etc. Putting 12 balls in someone's hat, tending flags etc etc. Also heard of green staff being hounded because they hadn't put pins and rakes out, as per the order of the club.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
SGU now recommending that locker rooms now be closed for those that haven't already. https://scottishgolf.org/covid-19-update-locker-rooms/

Was meant to be having a meeting at the club tonight, but have taken the decision to give it a miss. I'm guessing that we will be cancelling all comps going forward, but at the moment I don't plan on playing with anyone and may just go up for the occasional game myself when it is quite. Might just start getting up at 6 at the weekends and getting an early game in when no on else will be there.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
As has been said, it isn't really important...but discussing does pass the time.

Played my last qualifier in September 2019. Course then unexpectedly closed. It hadn't been slope rated.
I had a 'winter membership', but with the weather didn't manage any qualifiers.
Was all set to join somewhere when the challenges arrived.
No idea what the situation will be come Nov 2020.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No idea what the situation will be come Nov 2020.
CONGU Decision 23/3/20
Flagsticks/Holes: If clubs have made the decision to modify the depth of the hole to allow players to remove the ball without touching the flagstick, scores will be acceptable for either competition or supplementary score purposes.
Bunkers: If clubs introduce a Local Rule to allow preferred lies in bunkers, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes. (Using Model Local Rule E-3) Please note: The distance for preferred lies in the bunker is limited to 6 inches and the area cannot be smoothed before placing. Alternatively, if the condition of bunkers is so poor that it interferes with the proper playing of the game, a club Committee may declare all bunkers to be Ground Under Repair, scores will be acceptable for competition or supplementary score purposes.
Note: These temporary provisions are applicable until further notice.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
So the question comes- if all locker rooms are closed where are you going to wash your hands in accordance with government guidance?
I'd say under H&S then the course is closed. However if you've got out of your car and touching nothing but your own equipment where would the risk be in that you had to wash your hands after playing ?

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
So the question comes- if all locker rooms are closed where are you going to wash your hands in accordance with government guidance?
I'd take it as you dont go in the clubhouse you dont touch anybody or anything you dont need to so risk will be minimal, wash your hands when you get home

AdamC28

Visit site
Latest email from my club has now informed us that locker room, pro shop etc will be shut.
Course is staying open, they’ve said someone will be monitoring the course so in date bag tag must be displayed.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'd take it as you dont go in the clubhouse you dont touch anybody or anything you dont need to so risk will be minimal, wash your hands when you get home

No I do not go straight home. I usually do my shopping after playing golf.

I have been handling my golf ball which will be dirty and the towel use for cleaning clubs and would always wash my hands anyway after playing. I also have to put my buggy away in the buggy and trolley shed all the locks and handles will have been touched by many players.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

I have been handling my golf ball which will be dirty and the towel use for cleaning clubs and would always wash my hands anyway after playing. I also have to put my buggy away in the buggy and trolley shed all the locks and handles will have been touched by many players.
So yu won't be playing then?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So yu won't be playing then?

As I said in another thread if a decision to close our changing rooms is taken the course will probably be closed anyway because of the lack of toilet facilities as we currently do when they are closed for other reasons.

PS I am in England not Scotland but was just making a general comment

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site

Surely common sense prevails and instead of using the shed you take your trolley home or even just carry your bag and also go home to wash before going to the shops. It's a very small adjustment to make IMO

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Does the announcement mean no golf or only in twos?
It's not particularly clear as you could class golf as exercise, I think most clubs will probably advise members against playing though if you were to play by yourself I'm not sure youd be breaking any of the restrictions.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't see how you can argue that green keepers are critical workers. There are many more businesses other than golf clubs going to be severely impacted by their staff not being allowed to work.

Courses will have to/should close IMO.