Groups you wish you hadn’t seen

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Following on from the groups you wish you had seen what group do you wish you hadn’t seen.

Mines got to be Jeff Beck the biggest disappointment to me.

It wasn’t because he was bad but there was no buzz about the concert.

Coupled with the fact I was really expecting a lot and hoping he would play a few tracks from ‘Truth’

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I quoted this one on the other thread, Prince. No interaction with the crowd, too far away to see him clearly. May as well have just watched videos of him at home.

Texas. Bored rigid, left after 40 minutes. They tried hard, the lead singer bounced all over the stage, but I just didn't click with them. (tickets were free, in laws dropped out at the last minute)

Slightly controversial, Paul McCartney. A past girlfriend was a big fan and so I went with her. I just didn't get it, I found him bland. When I went to get a snack during Sgt Peppers, it went on for ever :sleep:, the mood did go a little cold :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Dire Straits - thought statues were playing
Sabbath at Hammy O with Dio...must have been an off night as they were bloody awful...but not as awful as they were with Gillan on vocals.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Sham 69 at The Rainbow.

I'd seen Sham a few times in Glasgow and liked them. This was different. Loads of skinheads.The venue was standing only. We were down near the front, and I noticed that just before Sham came on, the crowd had thinned out a good bit. The reason became clear when they played the walk on music which was The Flight of the Valkyries. All the skins had gone to the back of the hall, and as Wagner boomed out, they ran thru the crowd kicking and punching anyone in their way.

They invaded the stage several times, the band gave up after 20 minutes and the gig was abandoned. Easily the worst gig I've been at.

In terms of bands who were just bad, I saw the Lightning Seeds at a small festival 7 or 8 years ago. Without the magic of the studio, Broudie's voice was appalling, so weak and out of tune. Was glad when they finished and The Bunnymen came on.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The Slits.

Seen them a few times, really enjoyed them. Cut is a great album, i still listen to it.

I did meet them once and they were a bit obnoxious. That had something to do with me and my mate helping ourselves to a few beers in the dressing room - to be fair, we were on the guest list and had been invited back by the singer of the headline band.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Seen them a few times, really enjoyed them. Cut is a great album, i still listen to it.

I did meet them once and they were a bit obnoxious. That had something to do with me and my mate helping ourselves to a few beers in the dressing room - to be fair, we were on the guest list and had been invited back by the singer of the headline band.
I saw them early in their group-career. Ari was probably 16 or 17 at the time. I think they were all too drunk and couldn't perform properly.
This was at Leicester DeMontfort Hall - I think they should have taken it a bit more seriously. Perhaps managers and other bands had words with them after that and they got better.

RichA

Visit site
The Amazing Screaming Willies. The only gig I've left before the end. They didn't make the big time.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m lucky in as much as I don’t think I’ve ever come away from a live gig disappointed, so can’t really comment from personal experience.

I always remember a woman I used to work with went to see Madonna and she said she was absolutely dreadful. Couldn’t sing a single note. And the event didn’t come cheap.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Paul Young, dear lord it was purgatory.
I like beautiful South, Ut Missis T thought they were rammel.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I saw them early in their group-career. Ari was probably 16 or 17 at the time. I think they were all too drunk and couldn't perform properly.
This was at Leicester DeMontfort Hall - I think they should have taken it a bit more seriously. Perhaps managers and other bands had words with them after that and they got better.

Viv Albertine's autobiography is a good read if you liked their music.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was band (I am glad I do not remember their name) playing at the Wooden Bridge (pub in Guildford). They were so bad that Eric Clapton (one of Creams very early performances ) just started to play over the top of them.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So many bad gigs 😂 I remember going to see Lou Reed at Hammersmith with my brother and a friend, mix up with the timings and we were late I rushed in and just sat halfway down in the isle.

Only had time to hear 4 classics off Transformer he was brilliant although he had some girls helping with the vocals.

Only saw my brother and friend after the concert and brother thought he was crap and couldn’t sing and said he would never see him again😂

Fromtherough

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The Charlatans. Love their albums (early to mid 90’s only) and they were brutal live. Twice. Although the second viewing was accidental as they played a festival I was at. Tim Burgess is just weird.