Groups you wish you hadn’t seen

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m lucky in as much as I don’t think I’ve ever come away from a live gig disappointed, so can’t really comment from personal experience.

Same for me, seen some truly horrific support bands though. Black Veil Brides were laugably bad, and Him were (unsurprisingly) bottled off the stage when they opened for Metallica at wembley:oops:

sunshine

Visit site
In terms of bands who were just bad, I saw the Lightning Seeds at a small festival 7 or 8 years ago. Without the magic of the studio, Broudie's voice was appalling, so weak and out of tune. Was glad when they finished and The Bunnymen came on.

I saw the Lightning Seeds in 1998 and they were great. It was during the World Cup and the atmosphere when they played Three Lions at the end was incredible. At that time it was still fresh.

Skytot

Visit site
Agree with Lord Tryian about Prince. Saw him at Maine Road , very self indulgent, I was bored. Also didn’t enjoy The Stranglers.

sunshine

Visit site
Amy Winehouse - totally wasted and incapable of performing.
Supergrass - just loud noise and not much discernible music. Most people drifted off after a couple of songs.
JayZee - not a very talented musician, couldn’t perform his songs live. Acted like a tool as well.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Judas Priest, Lancaster Uni 1977. Was really looking forward to seeing them… very poor. If I hadn’t been a passenger in someone else’s car I would have left well before the end.

Still listen to the odd studio recorded piece but wild horses could drag me into a JP concert again.

Also, think I fell asleep in the Be Bop Deluxe concert, again at Lancaster Uni Another band I wouldn’t wish to see again.

Thank god the next artist was Rory Gallagher!

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Saw Siouxie & The Banshees at Aylesbury Friars sometime around 79 with my college chums

There was so much gob and drink being thrown around and such a hostile atmosphere that we left after about 4 songs

Also saw Gary Glitter , so bad he was good, but leaves a nasty taste in ones mouth looking back on it with hindsight ( I know how it reads)

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Anything in a large stadium, always seem to be rubbish, so much so I won't go to one now.
I have only been to one big stadium event. Simple Minds at Gateshead in about 1992. I only went because my favourite band, the Stranglers, were playing. OMD and Roachford were also playing and good.
But OMG, Simple Mind were so dull.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Biggest disappointment for me was Tyrannosaurus Rex, I loved Marc Bolan and acoustic early albums and so when they came to my home town, I bought tickets, they came out as a full band and played electric, so disappointing, went off them and never liked T Rex

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Ashton Gardner & Dyke - the only song they could do was their big hit Resurrection Shuffle so they did it about 4 times

Amy Winehouse - great voice but so off her head she was disgraceful

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Krokus at Keele University student bar. Must have been about 1980.
They were a Swiss heavy metal band and brought what looked like their full PA system to a small bar that held about 150 people.
It was so loud I feared for my life, not just my hearing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Kings of Leon, at Isle of Wight festival, must be a decade ago now. They were headlining but they seemed so disinterested, almost bored and seemed to have disdain for the people watching them. Looked like a band on the verge of breaking up, yet they're still going all this time later. I stopped listening to them after that anyway.

Mogwai is a band I really love, but I saw them once at Hammersmith Apollo many years ago, and it was so loud I had to physically stick my fingers in my ears, and I had ringing in my ears for a full week after. Thought I had permanent hearing damage, and I still might have done (just not as bad as feared). I have no idea why it was so loud, never been to any other gig that was even close to as loud as that.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Etta James at The Town and Country Club in Camden....early/mid 90's

Had tickets to see her on two previous occasions and both times the gig was cancelled for various reasons, so hoping third time was going to be lucky.

Fat chance, she was pissed and/or drugged up and managed to slur her way through maybe four songs before she walked off stage at the booing.

Percy Sledge was also bad but that was simply because he could no longer sing.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I used to do some casual work around Wolverhampton when my roadie/event/ents pals were short staffed. Just silly things like running errands and getting band riders sorted.

To set the scene. I got to see quite a lot of really good gigs and that period around the mid 90’s was a pretty good time in the west midlands; metal to rave, the Stourbridge indie sound and the birth of D&B, felt like a lot was going on with a lot of really great diverse music from unknowns to stadium bands appearing at Wolves civic each week.

Anyway. Absolutely no question the worst gig (and vying for most awful person in music award) was Jools Holland.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I went to see the Chieftains in Newcastle many years ago. They played the shortest set I've ever experienced, including a stage full of Scottish bagpipers, which I hated. They were getting on a bit at the time & I think they just wanted an early night with a cup of cocoa. I had a letter about this published in the Newcastle Journal "Disgusted, South Shields". A complete rip off.