Groups you haven’t seen but wish you had.

Grizzly

Visit site
Prog bands, by their very definition are mostly pretentious and/or self indulgent, so I get why some people wouldn’t like them. But yes, Jordan Rudess and his keys solos in DT do come across as a bit OTT. John Petrucci’s guitar work around that time, however, was absolutely sublime.

A BIT OTT? :)

We're talking rather more than that - I mean, I have no significant issue with the majority of progressive tropes, I just object when playing actual music takes second fiddle behind showing off how fast your fingers can move. I also think its an act of monumental hubris to have ALL of the solos back to back, rather than using them to pace your set!

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
A BIT OTT? :)

We're talking rather more than that - I mean, I have no significant issue with the majority of progressive tropes, I just object when playing actual music takes second fiddle behind showing off how fast your fingers can move. I also think its an act of monumental hubris to have ALL of the solos back to back, rather than using them to pace your set!

😂😂😂

I know exactly what you’re referring to…I still maintain Scenes from a Memory is one of the best albums of all time…perhaps just skip track 9; The Dance of Eternity.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Led Zep - had a chance to see them at Knebworth, but had a summer job I needed, so I thought I'd see them the next time - Bonham died the year after. Saw Page and Plant at the NEC though which was pretty special.

ELP - saw Greg Lake on a solo tour at uni and had a chat with him on the bus.

Queen, Sabbath and Deep Purple would be up at the top too.

On the plus side, I've seen several of the other 'supergroups' of that era several times - Floyd, Yes and Genesis at least twice each. The biggest solo star I have seen was Bowie at Maine Road.

I saw ELP at Free Trade Hall Manchester, they were superb, did Pictures, before the album had been released,

i also saw Bowie at Maine Rd, supported by James, who were very good

sunshine

Visit site
Guns n roses. I was too young and skint when they came up to the northeast back in the day.got close to seeing them in Glasgow about 20year ago but they cancelled the tour. I think it was due to Axel going to jail to be fair. They’re coming back to the UK but Axel just can’t do it anymore, looking at YouTube videos.

Yeah I saw them about 20 years ago and they were awesome. Axel had such stage presence.

Wish I’d seen AC/DC (popular choice on here) and INXS.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
I saw a lot of old bands i loved when they went on revival tours, so not many I really regret not seeing, would have loved to have seen the Doors

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
I saw ELP at Free Trade Hall Manchester, they were superb, did Pictures, before the album had been released,

i also saw Bowie at Maine Rd, supported by James, who were very good

I was at a different Maine Road concert - Alison Moyet was the support act, and she was very good too.

Last edited:

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Now, I am not a huge Dream Theater fan. But around 2001, I went to see them with a mate. They were being talked up everywhere as one of the best live acts around.

They came on stage, and I walked out an hour later...during which time they played three songs, one of which was more or less an intro track, alongside each member of the band taking a lengthy solo. This included the keyboardist, who - pretentious tosser alert - had got a keyboard made up to carry like a guitar for the purpose.
Technically brilliant musicians but there's a lot of fretboard w**kery going on

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
So many....

Led Zeppelin being the biggie. Saw Robert Plant a few times and Plant and Page together but not old enough to have seen Led Zep.

Others..... Sabbath, Deep Purple, Blue Oyster Cult, AC/DC (with Bon), SAHB (with Alex), Celtic Frost, Vardis, Creedence..... lol could probably go on forever

I've seen Hawkwind more times than I care to recall but never with Bob Calvert. Would love to have seen the classic line up from Space Ritual era.

They were the first proper band I ever saw and that was the Space Ritual tour which included both Calvert and Lemmy.
They were so good that I went back and saw them the following evening, too!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The Proclaimers. However Mrs 30TT say a couple of tickets a@ The Opera House Blackpool for mid May. Booked.
Downside was she wanted to stay in Blackpool on a Saturday Night. Could not think of much worse. However I have arranged an Open Comp. On the way down so great weekend planned.