Groups you haven’t seen but wish you had.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
Led Zep - had a chance to see them at Knebworth, but had a summer job I needed, so I thought I'd see them the next time - Bonham died the year after. Saw Page and Plant at the NEC though which was pretty special.

ELP - saw Greg Lake on a solo tour at uni and had a chat with him on the bus.

Queen, Sabbath and Deep Purple would be up at the top too.

On the plus side, I've seen several of the other 'supergroups' of that era several times - Floyd, Yes and Genesis at least twice each. The biggest solo star I have seen was Bowie at Maine Road.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Never saw Genesis in the 70s or 80s.
James Brown.
Gary Moore.
David Bowie.
How long have you got?
Saw Gary Moore when he was support for BB King.
God he was a miserable sod. Never smiled once and gave the impression that he just didn't want to be there.

As for who I wish I'd seen:
- Hendrix (of course)
- The Who before demise of Keith Moon
- King Crimson mk3 (Fripp/Bruford/Wetton/Cross/Muir)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Saw Gary Moore when he was support for BB King.
God he was a miserable sod. Never smiled once and gave the impression that he just didn't want to be there.
I saw him 3 or 4 times and agree entirely. Despite the audience asking, he rarely would do Parisienne Walkways, if I remember rightly he only did it once when I saw him - absolute arse but brilliant musician!

Grizzly

Visit site
I've been lucky enough to see a good proportion of the bands I have loved over the years - or at least to have most of the ones I haven't managed to catch still touring. Though like anyone, I have regrets - turning down the chance to see Nirvana in Leeds pre-Nevermind being one, only getting to see Queen in the abomination of their collab with Paul Rodgers another. The biggest though is never seeing Johnny Cash live.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
For me
Hendrix & Lynyrd Skynyrd are the 2 stand out ones missing from my catalogue of memories

Groups I have seen:-
Thin Lizzy, Motörhead, Queen with Freddie, Status Quo, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, Genesis, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin after JB, Def Leppard, Elton John, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Big Country, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Peter Frampton, 10cc, Tom Robinson Band, Tears For Fears, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Wings, U2, Simply Red, Pet Shop Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, Boston, Blackfoot, Dire Straits, Cliff Richard & The Shadows, The Osmonds, Scorpions,Black Sabbath, ZZ Top,Sex Pissed Dolls, Happy Mondays, The Fratelli’s,AC/DC Whitesnake, From The Jam, Razorlight. there are more I’m sure 😎

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Floyd, Bowie, Bolan and The Jam jump out at first thought.

I would have added Gabriel-era Genesis, but having now seen twice the tribute/re-enactment band The Musical Box I can put that aside, they were so good and true to Genesis (…and for Genesis fans of that era…next year they are doing the show of the SEbtP tour).

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
For me
Hendrix & Lynyrd Skynyrd are the 2 stand out ones missing from my catalogue of memories

Groups I have seen:-
Thin Lizzy, Motörhead, Queen with Freddie, Status Quo, Blue Oyster Cult, Rush, Genesis, Eric Clapton, Led Zeppelin after JB, Def Leppard, Elton John, David Bowie, Fleetwood Mac, Iron Maiden, Saxon, Peter Frampton, 10cc, Tom Robinson Band, Tears For Fears, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Wings, U2, Simply Red, Pet Shop Boys, Simon & Garfunkel, Boston, Blackfoot, Dire Straits, Cliff Richard & The Shadows, The Osmonds, Scorpions, there are more I’m sure 😎

brilliant list spoiled by The Osmonds 😂😂😂👍

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The 2 acts I really regret never seeing are Bowie and Prince.

Best I've seen would be The Clash (by a distance, saw them 8 times, the most exciting band I've ever seen), Springsteen & The ESB (Etihad and Glastonbury), The Pogues (6 or 7 times), The Specials (3 or 4 times), The Jam (x4). Seen Weller quite a few times solo, sometimes great, sometimes not so great.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The 2 acts I really regret never seeing are Bowie and Prince.

Best I've seen would be The Clash (by a distance, saw them 8 times, the most exciting band I've ever seen), Springsteen & The ESB (Etihad and Glastonbury), The Pogues (6 or 7 times), The Specials (3 or 4 times), The Jam (x4). Seen Weller quite a few times solo, sometimes great, sometimes not so great.
I saw Prince back in the late 80's, very early 90's perhaps. Most disappointing concert I've ever been to. 2nd back row of the Birmingham NEC, he was just a dot. You ended up watching the video screens, not the stage ☹. He didn't interact with the audience, it was soulless, like watching a series of videos on a big screen.

Regret not seeing Bowie, forget about Prince 😄

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I saw Prince back in the late 80's, very early 90's perhaps. Most disappointing concert I've ever been to. 2nd back row of the Birmingham NEC, he was just a dot. You ended up watching the video screens, not the stage ☹. He didn't interact with the audience, it was soulless, like watching a series of videos on a big screen.
I found Dire Staits to be the same...brilliant musicianship but they just stood there and played....

Grizzly

Visit site
I found Dire Staits to be the same...brilliant musicianship but they just stood there and played....

You get some bands like that - more modern, but I love all six Interpol albums. Would never go and see them live again mind - they just walk on and stand there. The sound is good, but its note for note the record.

Mind you, you can go too far t'other way...Dream Theater, for example!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
You get some bands like that - more modern, but I love all six Interpol albums. Would never go and see them live again mind - they just walk on and stand there. The sound is good, but its note for note the record.

Mind you, you can go too far t'other way...Dream Theater, for example!
Oh yeah........

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tbh it would have to be with the aid of a time machine.
60s bands so would all need to be before 69.
Beatles.
Stones, with Brian Jones
Velvet Underground.
I did see the velvets when they briefly reformed and came here in 90 I think it was, what a disappointment 😂

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

Regret not seeing Bowie, forget about Prince 😄

Venue makes a massive difference. I hate sitting down at gigs, even now when I’m an old fart. Big arenas make it doubly bad.