Groups you haven’t seen but wish you had.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I saw Prince back in the late 80's, very early 90's perhaps. Most disappointing concert I've ever been to. 2nd back row of the Birmingham NEC, he was just a dot. You ended up watching the video screens, not the stage ☹. He didn't interact with the audience, it was soulless, like watching a series of videos on a big screen.

Regret not seeing Bowie, forget about Prince 😄
I saw Prince at Wembley the night England beat Belgium when David Platt scored a very last minute winner. Was looking forward to it, as I'd heard hd was a great live act. He came on so late that somd peopld had to leave for last trains half way through. Was decent enough, but not what I'd hoped for.

Grizzly

Visit site
Oh yeah........

Now, I am not a huge Dream Theater fan. But around 2001, I went to see them with a mate. They were being talked up everywhere as one of the best live acts around.

They came on stage, and I walked out an hour later...during which time they played three songs, one of which was more or less an intro track, alongside each member of the band taking a lengthy solo. This included the keyboardist, who - pretentious tosser alert - had got a keyboard made up to carry like a guitar for the purpose.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Guns n roses. I was too young and skint when they came up to the northeast back in the day.got close to seeing them in Glasgow about 20year ago but they cancelled the tour. I think it was due to Axel going to jail to be fair. They’re coming back to the UK but Axel just can’t do it anymore, looking at YouTube videos.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The one I would have liked to have seen was Queen with Freddie. Saw them later on with Paul Rodgers, but of course not the same.

Back in 1980 joined a long queue at Drury Lane to get Genesis tickets (morning after seeing The Ramones - my taste in music is quite wide!). Left after four hours as it was clear they would be sold out by the time I got to the front of the queue. They added and extra date becuase of the length of the queue, but wasn't aware of this. Never did get to see them live.

The band I really wanted to see in recent times was Rammstein and fortunately managed to get to see them in Coventry last summer.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Jefferson Airplane with Grace Slick

Think since mid 70’s I have seen most of the bands I like. First band I saw were Black Sabbath, and as of now last band was Manfred Mann’s Earth Band.

Skytot

Visit site
The 2 acts I really regret never seeing are Bowie and Prince.

Best I've seen would be The Clash (by a distance, saw them 8 times, the most exciting band I've ever seen), Springsteen & The ESB (Etihad and Glastonbury), The Pogues (6 or 7 times), The Specials (3 or 4 times), The Jam (x4). Seen Weller quite a few times solo, sometimes great, sometimes not so great.
Are you me 😂seen all them , Clash only once though . I would add early U2 , Big Country & Arcade fire
All were great live

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Would loved to have seen Bob Marley & the Wailers . Also Smiths , Roses, Beatles

Loved The Smiths, saw them at The Barrowlands in Glasgow in 85/86, when they had added a second guitarist. Seen Moz a load of times but have sadly given up on him as a result of the tripe he has been spouting over recent years.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Used to watch a live concert every week on BBC2 on Thursday nights in the 70's. Saw Super tramp but would love to have seen them live.
Sight and Sound in Concert? Simulcast on BBC2 and Radio1 FM.
Some of them were recorded at Queen Mary College where I was a student. I was at the Supertramp one. My recollection is that they didn't really play that great. Apart from Dreamer, which I guess they could play in their sleep (I'll get my coat).

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Great thread!

Reading through it you realise there’s any number of bands you wish you’d seen live, and it also brings back memories of this you did see.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Love music but for whatever reasons I never got into going to gigs. Went to a few, but as a teen and into my 20s it wasn’t what we were into doing…plus living at home on outskirts of Glasgow maybe I also couldn’t be that bothered with the travel home from the city centre. Then in Bristol through mid-80s to mid-90s my bunch of mates also weren’t great gig goers, went to a few but not many. Life for me was playing golf and football, and my group more enjoyed pubbing and clubbing of an evening. Missed opportunities many.

That said, with my lad now working on music and other types of show I’m going to more gigs these last few years than I ever did. And I’m really enjoying it.

Newtonuti

Visit site
The one I would have liked to have seen was Queen with Freddie. Saw them later on with Paul Rodgers, but of course not the same.

Back in 1980 joined a long queue at Drury Lane to get Genesis tickets (morning after seeing The Ramones - my taste in music is quite wide!). Left after four hours as it was clear they would be sold out by the time I got to the front of the queue. They added and extra date becuase of the length of the queue, but wasn't aware of this. Never did get to see them live.

The band I really wanted to see in recent times was Rammstein and fortunately managed to get to see them in Coventry last summer.

I was at Rammstein in Cov last year, what a gig! My mate lives in Bedworth and said he could hear the bass in his garden :ROFLMAO:

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Queen and Hothouse Flowers. Wasn’t really a fan of Queen at the time but appreciate them more now and wished I’d seen them live.

Had tickets for Hothouse Flowers at Wembley. Was taken out to play golf earlier in the day and got held up coming home. Didn’t make it back in time to go to the concert…😭

Abba and George Michael.

At the tender age of 14, full of hormones and lust for Agnetha, ABBA was the very first concert I ever went to.

Concerts I can remember going too:

Bowie(x3), Genesis, Fleetwood Mac, Simple Minds, Tears for Fears (x2), The Police, Eurythmics, Cher, Simply Red, Bruce Hornsby & the Range, Chris Rea, Rod Stewart (Status Quo supporting), Michael Jackson, ZZ Top (Bryan Adams supporting), Of Monsters and Men, the Nelson Mandela concert at Wembley which included George Michael, Whitney Houston, Stevie Wonder and a whole host of other names from the day.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Oasis in their hey-day.

Saw original Queen at Wembley in the 80s, supported by a new Aussie band, INXS!

Saw Oasis in 2002, so I guess not their heyday. Thought they were pretty poor tbh, just seemed to be going thru the motions. Very little chat, very little happening on stage.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is the joy of modern TV with programmes like Sky arts and BBC 4 who show many concerts that I would never have seen otherwise.

I saw so many bands in my youth and 20s that it hard to remember those that I saw .

What comes to mind mainly is not seeing Hendrix or Genesis live.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Had booked to see Oasis, bought all the tickets and booked the hotel (6 of us).
Was working offshore at the time, got offered a promotion which meant a change in rotation ☹️
Said about having something on and if I could get it off or do time for time, was told it’s the promotion or the concert!
Was a 12k pay rise, but I had to seriously think about it 😳😳
Oasis was my era, gutted but maybe in the future I’ll get to see them.
Would of loved to see the Prodigy,The Smiths and Stone Roses 😀