GPS (which one)

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My old Garmin died - what should I buy?

(Note 1: 20 handicap so a couple of yards this way or that won't mkae much difference.)
(Note 2: Don't want to carry and fiddle round with one of those laser range finders)

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The decision is really watch or hand held (or clamped to your bag). Its a personal thing. Watch is handier I find, when just playing my home course. Hand held is nice when playing an unknown or less familiar course, as the maps help see what is going on, hidden, lay up judgements, etc, that are second nature on your home course.
Within those two categories, they all do the same thing. One has, or, had, an annual fee which would put me off.
Yes, avoid lasers, and slowing down the game for no gains.

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
One has, or, had, an annual fee which would put me off..

Indeed . . . . I've managed OK for 16 years without paying any annual fee . . . I was looking at the SkyCaddie SX400 GPS but that has an annual fee. I don't know what I get for paying that fee or what I lose for not paying i.e. do I need it and is it worth the money without it?

D

Deleted member 23270

Budget £250
Deliver: 1. Distance GPS to flag. 2. View of features and hazards between GPS and flag.
Can a GPS give distance to the flag when it is something that moves regularly? I have a cheap Bushnell watch that gives front/middle/back and also distances to hazards like bunkers and water. Also end of fairway when applicable. Cost £80 at Xmas in the AG sale, normally about £100 I believe. Simple and effective, does the job.
However I also have a laser which I use in conjunction with the watch. If for example I have 165 to the flag and the watch says 150 to the front I know I have 15 yards to play with.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you know, approximately, where the flag is, on many devices, you can move the pin location via the touch screen.
I have the SX400 and it's a cracking bit of kit...OK it costs 30 quid a year but if youre worrying about 58p per week then you've got far more important things to worry about..
Mine stays in a cradle on my trolley but if I need to I can detach it in a seco d and take it with me..

babylonsinger

Visit site
I bought a Garmin G12 earlier this year and feel its helped my game. Front, middle and back distances (it does provide distances to hazards and layups etc but I haven't really used those). Easy to carry, battery seems to last a few rounds and it has found every course I have used it on so far. I like the simplicity of it and the distances are sufficient for me as I'm not precise enough to need anything more.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I bought a Garmin G12 earlier this year and feel its helped my game. Front, middle and back distances (it does provide distances to hazards and layups etc but I haven't really used those). Easy to carry, battery seems to last a few rounds and it has found every course I have used it on so far. I like the simplicity of it and the distances are sufficient for me as I'm not precise enough to need anything more.
As above. I got an S12 this season. Excellent bit of kit. Light to wear, looks smart, quick charging, long battery life.

Imurg

Visit site
What I am unclear about is what I get for the £30 or what I can't do without it?
Distances are supposed to be more accurate as Skycaddie employees walk the course mapping the distances with a dirty great GPS unit on their backs.
The other companies use aerial photos to determine yardage.
If changes are made to a course Skycaddie can send someone out within days to remap the course whereas the others have to wait for new photos which can take a year or more.
Whether that makes a difference to you only you can tell

balaclava

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Re the SX400 . . . . . what I do get for the £30 annual premium and what I can't I get if I don't pay the annual premium OR is the annual payment comulsory?

The Fader

Visit site
Shotscope G3 - £99.99 at justgolfonline.co.uk

Fairly basic but I've found mine to be pretty accurate and user friendly.

You get dynamic front, middle, back distances plus distance to and to clear hazards.

No shot tracking though.

Oneil88

Visit site
As above. I got an S12 this season. Excellent bit of kit. Light to wear, looks smart, quick charging, long battery life.
Yep, been using Garmin for my golf, hunting and fishing(I've made a special waterproof side pocket on my fishing bibs myself 'cause originally it wouldn't really feel good in the big belly pocket). Never had any issues, pretty much a no-brainer.

Last edited:

Imurg

Visit site
Re the SX400 . . . . . what I do get for the £30 annual premium and what I can't I get if I don't pay the annual premium OR is the annual payment comulsory?
Full access to the performance of Skycaddie
I guess that if you don't pay the subscription then you lose major chunks of the performance which renders it not much more than a Front/middle/ back gps....which would make it pointless spending the money on the unit when there are cheaper alternatives that provide f/m/b

carldudley

Visit site
As someone who used to have a Garmin (Fenix not golf specific) I tried Shotscope v4 and couldn't handle the hour I had to spend post round adjusting things - particularly scores and penalties. I tried the Tag Connected Golf - not worth the $2000 price tag, the GPS was awful and would jump around from hole to hole.

In the end i've gone back to Garmin with the S42 and it works perfectly, i have zero complaints with it. If you had a Garmin before and it worked for you, stick with it.