Golfer's Car?

RichA

Visit site
I have an Audi A6 with the Biturbo diesel engine. Docile and smooth in drive, bat out of hell in Sport. Big boot and some underfloor storage for miscellaneous kit you don't use very often.

BMW 5 series should be similar sized boot.
Not as good as you'd think. On paper it's a large volume, but not quite wide or long enough for multiple golfers. In practice, one trolley and 2 bags. Great for one - no good if your passenger has a trolley. That's my 2018 xDrive saloon anyway.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not as good as you'd think. On paper it's a large volume, but not quite wide or long enough for multiple golfers. In practice, one trolley and 2 bags. Great for one - no good if your passenger has a trolley. That's my 2018 xDrive saloon anyway.

I think the issue with saloons in general is not the size of the boot, but rather the access point. Makes it really hard to get the best out of them without extremely careful planning.

Springveldt

Visit site
I think the issue with saloons in general is not the size of the boot, but rather the access point. Makes it really hard to get the best out of them without extremely careful planning.
That's my feelings on them as well. My last couple of cars were the Fabia vRS then the Octavia Estate vRS so when I went looking for a new car I knew I wanted a hatchback or estate. When looking for the BMW (loved their diesel engines) I was sure I wanted the GT or the Touring as the saloon, even the 5 series just didn't have the shape I was after. Hatchbacks/Estates just make more sense to me.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
If you're looking for something with a bit of oomph when needed, then I'd be looking at a Plug-In Hybrid. I have one of these and, when you need to overtake, the electric and petrol work together to relieve up the horsepower. Skoda don't do that in anything smaller than an Octavia so not really what you're looking for. Saying that, the new Octavia is getting great reviews.

RichA

Visit site
I now someone who can get 4 players and 4 sets of clubs in a 2014 Seat Ibiza....... but not sure that's what you're after :D
You could have got their trolleys, overnight bags and 4 cases of beer too in my old Saab 900T 3-door but they don't make 'em anymore. ?

Crumplezone

Visit site
You could have got their trolleys, overnight bags and 4 cases of beer too in my old Saab 900T 3-door but they don't make 'em anymore. ?

I had a couple of those. Awesome cars. I now have a 2001 9-5 saloon. Nice but a bit Vauxhally. I can fit 2 bags and 2 trolley in the boot no problem.

D

Deleted member 23270

That's my feelings on them as well. My last couple of cars were the Fabia vRS then the Octavia Estate vRS so when I went looking for a new car I knew I wanted a hatchback or estate. When looking for the BMW (loved their diesel engines) I was sure I wanted the GT or the Touring as the saloon, even the 5 series just didn't have the shape I was after. Hatchbacks/Estates just make more sense to me.
It's a BMW, it has a lovely interior and a great engine......but it was hit with the ugly stick :sick:

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
But I no longer need the big lugger, I rarely have a passenger or second set of clubs

Have I missed something here? The above suggests the OP is looking for a smaller car but everyone is suggesting big tanks :unsure:
...and most have continued to do so.

So how about..

arona fr spec.jpg arona fr.jpg

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
He also said he wanted something with a bit of go, not something with less power than a golf cart.
I will be interested to see your example of a small economical car with a 0-60 of under 9 seconds, under £20,000, less than 4 years old and under 30,000 miles.
I am not "having a go" merely looking for useful examples for the OP and myself as it happens. I am in a similar position to the OP.
I might like to change from my Skoda Rapid (that has a boot bigger than a Mondeo) at some point.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I will be interested to see your example of a small economical car with a 0-60 of under 9 seconds, under £20,000, less than 4 years old and under 30,000 miles.
I am not "having a go" merely looking for useful examples for the OP and myself as it happens. I am in a similar position to the OP.
I might like to change from my Skoda Rapid (that has a boot bigger than a Mondeo) at some point.
Check out this car on cinch
https://www.cinch.co.uk/used-cars/seat/leon/details/d8cf0f44-1c52-469d-97f7-df683e256c8f

Springveldt

Visit site
It's a BMW, it has a lovely interior and a great engine......but it was hit with the ugly stick :sick:
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder or something like that.

I was willing to overlook the "doesn't look like a proper BMW" due to the practicality of it. Was always going to be a bit of a challenge to find something that passed the "family car" test with the wife while having over 300bhp. She's happy I can still fit an Ikea wardrobe in it and I'm happy I can overtake lorries on the A69 with no issues. :LOL: