Golf Things That Gladden The Heart

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Eldest wanted to go putting, took her down the club , had a nice putt and a hot chocolate

She even wrote a note to the manager to say thanks for letting her use the practice green

Love it! What a great little introduction to the world of golf!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love it! What a great little introduction to the world of golf!

She loved it. Was pretty dead aswell so we could spend as long as we wanted. She only wanted 20 mins but I let her lead and decide.

Always a good option on a Friday as she can leave school at 13:00 or stay in after-school club until 1530 so means I can do stuff with her and leave her sisters at nursery

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
She loved it. Was pretty dead aswell so we could spend as long as we wanted. She only wanted 20 mins but I let her lead and decide.

Always a good option on a Friday as she can leave school at 13:00 or stay in after-school club until 1530 so means I can do stuff with her and leave her sisters at nursery
Love it mate. I'm praying my little one gets into it in a few years. She's already sat watching us mash balls at Top Golf a fair few times. 😂

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Love it mate. I'm praying my little one gets into it in a few years. She's already sat watching us mash balls at Top Golf a fair few times. 😂
I doubt she will get much more into it. Prob a passing fad lol 🤣 but I bet at least one of them wants to do it. Money is on twin one. She is a proper daddies girl

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Playing on the frozen course on Saturday. A real challenge and one to get creative with as you could pitch it 100 yards short and still be out the back with the huge bounces. No-one scored well and a few moaners about it "not golf" but as a one-off I loved it. Even I could bomb 300 yard drives thanks to the ground conditions. Pitch and run the order of the day for the short game and if you had a bunker in the way then you had to really think about your options. I wouldn't want to do it every weekend in the winter but good fun

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Playing on the frozen course on Saturday. A real challenge and one to get creative with as you could pitch it 100 yards short and still be out the back with the huge bounces. No-one scored well and a few moaners about it "not golf" but as a one-off I loved it. Even I could bomb 300 yard drives thanks to the ground conditions. Pitch and run the order of the day for the short game and if you had a bunker in the way then you had to really think about your options. I wouldn't want to do it every weekend in the winter but good fun
We had the same issue. I'd been ill and not played for a bit so with the frozen greens I just treated it as a laugh. Had at least five that hit the greens and bounced miles through the back. Like you I had two or three enormous drives that just happened to bounce in the right the place and went longer than my summer distances! On our stroke index 1 I'm normally hitting 5 wood on the second shot, or laying up, this time I had a 9 iron to the green.

Unbelievably, my high-handicapper mate managed his best ever round on our course and broke 90 for the first time - got himself cut from 26.4 to 25.5 since PCC went to 1 (only 1 on a day of frozen greens, makes me laugh but that's another story). He played the conditions perfectly, every approach he just played a little stabby chip and run thing, even from 100-120 yards and somehow he was judging them perfectly! No idea how he did it. I was playing my first round since my lesson so I was just trying to hit nice golf shots and not giving a toss about where they ended up. :LOL:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We had the same issue. I'd been ill and not played for a bit so with the frozen greens I just treated it as a laugh. Had at least five that hit the greens and bounced miles through the back. Like you I had two or three enormous drives that just happened to bounce in the right the place and went longer than my summer distances! On our stroke index 1 I'm normally hitting 5 wood on the second shot, or laying up, this time I had a 9 iron to the green.

Unbelievably, my high-handicapper mate managed his best ever round on our course and broke 90 for the first time - got himself cut from 26.4 to 25.5 since PCC went to 1 (only 1 on a day of frozen greens, makes me laugh but that's another story). He played the conditions perfectly, every approach he just played a little stabby chip and run thing, even from 100-120 yards and somehow he was judging them perfectly! No idea how he did it. I was playing my first round since my lesson so I was just trying to hit nice golf shots and not giving a toss about where they ended up. :LOL:
Can’t believe you had a qualifier on frozen greens. 🤔

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah it was just the monthly Stableford, can't imagine many people bothered entering. :LOL: I certainly didn't.

So many people didn't enter the midweek because of it. We had 5 I came second .. moan moan moan.. I found it a laugh. You just played punch shots into the green rather than going for it . Just don't chip it high 😆

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Unbelievably, my high-handicapper mate managed his best ever round on our course and broke 90 for the first time - got himself cut from 26.4 to 25.5 since PCC went to 1 (only 1 on a day of frozen greens, makes me laugh but that's another story). He played the conditions perfectly, every approach he just played a little stabby chip and run thing, even from 100-120 yards and somehow he was judging them perfectly! No idea how he did it.
35 points won the roll up. Strolled it and I think 31 was the next best. No idea how you could score that well as every shot including putts were a lottery

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A solid 4 hours of practice today.
55 on the range then double that on short game area then putting

All set for Sunday pm tee time

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A solid 4 hours of practice today.
55 on the range then double that on short game area then putting

All set for Sunday pm tee time
Glad you had a good session...personally, I'd have died after an hour.......respect to those who can practice....👏

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Glad you had a good session...personally, I'd have died after an hour.......respect to those who can practice....👏

Took me an hour just to hit the 55 balls on the range
I spent longer than usual (80 mins) on short game working on the usual chips etc plus 'lobbing' with the gap wedge

Couple of breaks for cider and before you know it it's 5 hours since I got dropped off

Honestly I get the same satisfaction as shooting buffer

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Back on the muckier Newport this morning after two days on the links! Shoes all mucky, need a clean. Carried a half set to save another cleaning job. Didn't play as well as previous two days either!

But, who cares? Had a laugh with the PPs and then home to watch the Scots give Wales a beating! That'll keep the locals quiet. 🤣🤣🤣

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Back on the muckier Newport this morning after two days on the links! Shoes all mucky, need a clean. Carried a half set to save another cleaning job. Didn't play as well as previous two days either!

But, who cares? Had a laugh with the PPs and then home to watch the Scots give Wales a beating! That'll keep the locals quiet. 🤣🤣🤣
What a game!
Wales made a game of it and restored some faith in themselves, but you just about got your wish. 😞