Golf - the safest option

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Our club has just issued guidance as to how to behave in the anticipated Coronavirus epidemic. Included is not to touch each others' balls (ooh er missus! ) & not to touch the flag, which makes the rule change, in retrospect, a good idea.

It strikes me that golf is one of the safest games to playing the present climate, no bodily contact, no body fluids flying about & taking place in the Open air. My wife falls into the vulnerable category & if there's any possibility of the virus in my area I'll be going to the first tee without entering the clubhouse & going straight home from the 18th Green.

After the game today, instead of shaking hands, we did the elbow bump. We lost & my partner was a bit unsporting, elbowing the opposition in the face!

Might as well play golf as, soon, there won't be much else to do.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was speaking about this at work

If I self isolated could I play golf alone

I am a member so I don't pay , I can book a time by myself. Play a round. It's outside. I don't touch anything

Drive home afters

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's one of the few sports that can keep going, at amateur level anyway. I suspect courses may get quite busy in the next few weeks, although clubhouses less so. They may have to get a little inventive there to keep turnover going.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It's one of the few sports that can keep going, at amateur level anyway. I suspect courses may get quite busy in the next few weeks, although clubhouses less so. They may have to get a little inventive there to keep turnover going.

Think it's best to keep the clubhouses as underused as possible.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Think it's best to keep the clubhouses as underused as possible.
I agree but the bar and catering can be crucial income streams for clubs. Somehow they need to keep supplying bacon butties, coffees and cold drinks without confining people to close indoor spaces. If it was Spain we could all sit a distance apart outside but sadly we are in the uk and our weather is not as kind. There will need to be some thinking going on.

D

Deleted member 23270

We had our AGM last night, no plans to close the course. Small groups in large spaces, as safe as you could be in the current environment really.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our caterers have already resigned their contract presumably due to the poor winter and lots of course closures etc.

Somebody said the main guy has decided to drive a lorry for a living instead.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
Normally, the flagsticks would be going in at the beginning of April.
Now, who knows?
I usually play a couple or three rounds at the pitch and putt course before the first game at my club.
That's usually alone, but this whole season is up in the air right now.

There making this thing out to be the Great Plague revisited.

And I'm in the described most at risk group....old and on meds.
What the hell, nothing lasts forever.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Our club has just issued guidance as to how to behave in the anticipated Coronavirus epidemic. Included is not to touch each others' balls (ooh er missus! ) & not to touch the flag, which makes the rule change, in retrospect, a good idea.

It strikes me that golf is one of the safest games to playing the present climate, no bodily contact, no body fluids flying about & taking place in the Open air. My wife falls into the vulnerable category & if there's any possibility of the virus in my area I'll be going to the first tee without entering the clubhouse & going straight home from the 18th Green.

After the game today, instead of shaking hands, we did the elbow bump. We lost & my partner was a bit unsporting, elbowing the opposition in the face!

Might as well play golf as, soon, there won't be much else to do.

All the courses here are now closed for a minimum of 2 weeks, as are all bars and restaurants. Unless you want to go to the docs, the hospital, or the supermarket, there isn't much else we are allowed to do.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Spanish regions are closing their courses

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I heard that. Each country has to make their own judgement. We could all go stir crazy if we don't get out at all. Can we not manage with some normality? Maybe, maybe not ?
Must admit, I can't see any logic in shutting a golf course. Obviously here most people use buggies where they are in close proximity to one other person.
Close the bars - yes. Special precautions when paying in the pro shop would be needed, but once out on the course there must be minimal risk.

Just been to Leroy Merlin (like B&Q) and that's open as normal, not sure where the logic is there.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I hope you're right because there won't be much else to do, or many places to go. My football is all cancelled, as of this afternoon I'll be working from home. Still have badminton lined up tomorrow, but who knows if they'll close the leisure centres soon? Pubs will be closed off before long. Golf in the open air is all that's left.