The golf swing myth.

darriusdax

Visit site
As a hacker learning golf mainly in the 90s I existed under the impression that you have one swing, sure its a touch longer for the driver but everything else gets the same swing... I see it on the golf course playing with other hackers.... same swing every shot... I have finally learned that every club has a subtly different swing - with the lower irons needing a radically shorter and compact swing which massively increases your accuracy and ability to shape the ball.... It frustrates me massively that i did not get this when i was younger and that i see other hackers suffering the same misconceptions... What feels like a half swing with a 7 iron sends it straight and 175 - 180 yards... all you could ever want. Using your phone to video how far back you are swinging is such a good habit, rather than banging range balls one after the other with no idea of the difference between a good shot and a bad one... video how far back you swung it, how stable you were, etc.... Its helping me, i hope it can help others.

darriusdax

Visit site
You only hit a 7 iron 175 - 180 yards? You need to make your swing longer and hit it harder to eke out more distance. 👍
very funny.. if the post helps one person i am happy. The usual sarcasm and smug replies are expected. this obsession with more distance... irons are about control.. if you want more distance hit a 6 iron.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
My swing feels the same for all clubs , I other than ball position I'm not changing much.
I have realised its easy to make what looks like a full swing but In reality is a week armsy swish. I've been putting a lot of effort into getting a good shoulder turn and I am happy with how things are going .

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
you are right.... im an over excited puppy that needs golf attention.... its pissing with rain here so im frustrated i cant get out and hit balls.
Wimp!

Btw. Have you considered 'one length' irons? Or Moe Norman's swing?

And 175-180 yds with a 7 iron, yet 14 HCap suggests something about you game ain't right!

darriusdax

Visit site
Wimp!

And 175-180 yds with a 7 iron, yet 14 HCap suggests something about you game ain't right!
you would have to read all the stuff in the 'midhandicap to scratch' post. I am returning to the game in a serious manner after 20 years away. I have ripped apart my game and am putting it back together with no stone unturned... new swing, hopefully new clubs soon.

darriusdax

Visit site
Wimp!

I believe Moe Normans swing was partly so successfull to him because of his height.. as a tall guy.. to replicate his method on the same swing plane i would need a wedge with shafts almost as long as a driver. Like asking Peter Crouch to dribble like Messi.... never gonna happen lol

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I believe Moe Normans swing was partly so successfull to him because of his height.. as a tall guy.. to replicate his method on the same swing plane i would need a wedge with shafts almost as long as a driver. Like asking Peter Crouch to dribble like Messi.... never gonna happen lol

Not sure that I entirely agree, I play occasionally with a guy who has a Moe Norman replica swing and stands about 5ft 9in and when I saw Peter Crouch playing for Southampton he was pretty skilful - not a patch on Messi but nevertheless the best player on the park 😀

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
You also need multiple swings for each club, depending on the situation.

To simplify it it’s better to have one swing that you can adjust to suit what is needed.

Then one swing = many swings.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That analogy would be true if you were using a golf club like a(n old style) hockey stick. But you are not! A better analogy would be comparing how Messi or Crouch take Penalties!

Moe certainly wasn't tall, but that normally has only a marginal impact on golf clubs. It's wrist to floor length that has 'most' effect, which can be remarkably similar for seriously different height folk - and conversely, remarkably dis-similar for same height folk!

Moe's success was, imo, actually down to remarkable talent - and an enormous amount of repititive practice!

Last edited:

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure that I entirely agree, I play occasionally with a guy who has a Moe Norman replica swing and stands about 5ft 9in and when I saw Peter Crouch playing for Southampton he was pretty skilful - not a patch on Messi but nevertheless the best player on the park 😀
Always thought Crouch was underrated on the floor ,he was a good footballer but was used mostly for his height.

Sandy Lyle did ok with a 3/4 swing ,at 62 I am working on one myself.
It’s going well

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'd be interested to hear what differences there are in all these different swings you think you need?

D

Deleted member 1147

very funny.. if the post helps one person i am happy. The usual sarcasm and smug replies are expected. this obsession with more distance... irons are about control.. if you want more distance hit a 6 iron.
I don’t think it will help anyone though!
Firstly the irons all have essentially the same swing, just different length of clubs therefore different angles of take away and into impact.
Secondly, it’s easier to shape long irons than short irons as there is less loft on the club. Hence the amazement at how much Bubba moved his wedge at Augusta.

The only shots which require different swings are woods off the tee, as you need to return the club without lag in order to hit on the up, and pitching as you don’t want to be digging in too much.