Golf - the safest option

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I do a bit of work for a top surgeon/academic and he said theres almost no chance of a vaccine within 12 months. The only thing they are doing is trying to delay the spread so as not to put as much pressure on the NHS, its inevitable that the old, the weak and the already sick people will have a greater chance of dying but theres nothing that can be done about that I'm afraid. Even if they came out with a vaccine theres no way they could vaccinate everybody in the sort of timescale your talking about, there are just too many people and the cost would be astronomical. Youl have to rely on your immune system and mother nature

I know a plumber, he's not right on everything to do with toilets.

I haven't mentioned a timescale, I said the more we can limit the spread of the virus the more lives will be saved.
The cost would minuscule in a global context.

But you carry on looking after number one.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Course going to be open for changing rooms and toilets. No bar area at all. Greenkeepers working on their own rota to isolate as much as they can and they have their own catering facilities so can keep working and eat/drink. Meetings still going on to decide about flags, raising holes so touch it and it counts etc but for now so far so good. Caterers are a private enterprise but biggest fear over the steward (who has family living on-site) and rest of bar staff and admin functions

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
I know a plumber, he's not right on everything to do with toilets.

I haven't mentioned a timescale, I said the more we can limit the spread of the virus the more lives will be saved.
The cost would minuscule in a global context.

But you carry on looking after number one.
The guy flies all over the world holding seminars and regularly appears on tv because of his standing, I take what he says to be very close to the reality. Some people just refuse to accept reality and want to bury their heads in the sand, the government should have been much more proactive in their measures and if travel was stopped alot sooner etc and everybody coming into the country from known problem areas was tested on arrival we wouldn't be in half as bad a situation, but you can only play with the cards your dealt I'm afraid

Diamond

Visit site
I am currently in isolation as my wife and son started with symptoms on Friday night. Currently neither myself or my daughter have any symptoms. Was considering going out to play 9 holes by myself some time tomorrow or Thursday. Pay by contact less card, and leave the flagstick in and I feel I shouldn't be a risk to anyone (probably be further away from people than if I just went for a walk). I will also be taking some anti-bacterial wipes just in case I hole a putt greater than gimme distance.

I can’t believe you are even thinking about leaving the house if your household has the symptoms. 14 days quarantine and self isolation is the advice we have received by the Chief Medical Officer of the UK and WHO.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I can’t believe you are even thinking about leaving the house if your household has the symptoms. 14 days quarantine and self isolation is the advice we have received by the Chief Medical Officer of the UK and WHO.
Taken just now from the gov.uk website:
If possible, you should not go out even to buy food or other essentials, other than exercise, and in that case at a safe distance from others.
I believe they say 2 metres is a safe distance (other countries are advocating 3). How is golf, by myself and not touching the flag, a contravention of that advice? If you can adequately explain that, I will stand (sit) corrected.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
If possible, you should not go out even to buy food or other essentials, other than exercise, and in that case at a safe distance from others.
I believe they say 2 metres is a safe distance (other countries are advocating 3). How is golf, by myself and not touching the flag, a contravention of that advice? If you can adequately explain that, I will stand (sit) corrected.

1584524899108.png

Don't be a ******* (whatever word you want to use). Stay. At. Home

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
Where is that advice from? It looks like the advice for those with symptoms, rather than those who are not symptomatic but are in a household with those that are (which is my situation, and relevant to the government advice I posted in post #45)

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
Where is that advice from? It looks like the advice for those with symptoms, t=rather than those who are not symptomatic but are in a household with those that are (which is my situation, and relevant to the government advice I posted in post #45)

It's from the NHS.

You conveniently omitted this line just before you quoted your advice on gov.uk

1584525891279.png

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think that a golf course is much more likely to bring you into contact with others than just going for a walk. Both your and others attention is constantly distracted, movements are all in similar places. People are naturally gregarious and keen to chat. Going for a walk you can pretty much concentrate on just steering clear.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I think that a golf course is much more likely to bring you into contact with others than just going for a walk. Both your and others attention is constantly distracted, movements are all in similar places. People are naturally gregarious and keen to chat. Going for a walk you can pretty much concentrate on just steering clear.
I would be playing by myself, and only if it's not busy.

Diamond

Visit site

I understand where you are coming from but the advice we have is to stay at home if you or anyone in your household has the symptoms.

If no one has the symptoms in your household then yes leave the house and keep away from people socially.

Hopefully the virus is no worse than season flu and a case of emperors new clothes but we cant take that chance.

D

Deleted member 16999

Similar situation to yourself, 3 “at risk” at home, so social distancing.

Drove to course yesterday at 2:30, parked away from other cars.
Played 18 holes on my own, saw 5 others on course, never getting closer than 200yds to any of them.

Finished, drove home, back in house for 5pm.

If course had been busy or was likely to come in to contact with people I would not of played.

Springveldt

Visit site
Thing is, you have 2 people in your home who are showing symptoms, if they have it the chances of you not contracting it are probably next to zero. At that point, I think you should be staying home for 2 weeks, even if you think the course is empty. What happens if you lose a ball that you have been handling and someone else picks it up?

SasquatchSQ

Visit site
I wonder what % of the probable 100,000+ deaths that we will have would be prevented if everyone wasn't too selfish to ignore government and health service advice.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Their is a large Tour in Scotland that are currently going ahead with all their events which is simply crazy and very irresponsible in my opinion.

sunshine

Visit site
Played this morning. My club has introduced all the same measures as others have mentioned.

When I got to the first par 3, I started looking on the ground for a broken tee as normal. Then I had the realisation that I should probably use my own tees from now on. I didn't use any of the ball washers either.

The air hose to clean shoes was switched off, which was a pain but a very sensible idea.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Played this morning. My club has introduced all the same measures as others have mentioned.

When I got to the first par 3, I started looking on the ground for a broken tee as normal. Then I had the realisation that I should probably use my own tees from now on. I didn't use any of the ball washers either.

The air hose to clean shoes was switched off, which was a pain but a very sensible idea.
Our clubs have removed the ball cleaners. Saw some pictures on social media and a very full car park so plenty getting up to the club and playing

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Genuine question, is there any details of how long this virus can “live” on rakes/pins etc?

Surely it can’t be that long or shops would be in a right state, ie, I take the flag out the hole and I may be risking those behind me, but if I go to Tesco pick up a tin of soup, change my mind and put it down again I’m risking nobody or at least nobody is concerned.

Am I missing something?

Show off - Good luck with getting a tin of anything in tescos at the moment.