How do you set up a Golf Society in the UK?

4irons

Visit site
How do you set up a Golf Society in the UK?

I can't find any guidance on England Golf. I see the old EGU would charge a fee and you would need 20+ playing members registered officially.

Any advice/guidance/links to registering a society in the UK would be much appreciated!

Thanks

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I've never heard of any kind of registration scheme for golf societies. What makes you think that EG maintain a register?

4irons

Visit site
Ok thanks for the responses guys! Out of interest how many members do yours have? And how has it worked with getting booked in at clubs - I guess they've never asked for a registration number?

Also - any general advice about setting up a new society? :)

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How you start a society.....
You find a few like minded friends and decide where you want to play as a group. You give your newly formed group a name, and you are now a society. You book your chosen course under your new society name.
You & your like minded friends invite other friends along, and soon your society grows in numbers.
If some of you have official handicaps, great. You play off those. If others don't have official handicaps, then you have to trust them to be honest about their abilities and award them handicaps based on that. After a few meetings you will discover who, and more importantly who wasn't being honest, and you can adjust accordingly. One of the biggest, if not THE biggest arguments you will have within a society is handicaps!!
There is no national register of society's, and the most discount I ever received as an organiser was a free place every now and then.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok thanks for the responses guys! Out of interest how many members do yours have? And how has it worked with getting booked in at clubs - I guess they've never asked for a registration number?

Also - any general advice about setting up a new society? :)

The only number a course will ask for when you book a society day is your credit card number for the deposit :)

Good luck with it

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Years ago (late 80s) you could register a Soc with the EGU. I was on the committee of a work based Society and we wondered if it was worth it. We didn't bother in the end. In the next 15 years I was involved, never were we asked if were were affiliated, never were we refused a fixture and never did we reconsider the decision.

It can be as formal or competitive as the membership wants. From the clubs perspective it is a group booking. Hopefully plenty will show up and spend lots of money in the bar and pro shop! (and not damage the course too badly!)

There's lots of stuff if you google "how to set up a society"

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There was a time when clubs asked/informed societies that all members must have a minimum handicap level as many clubs insisted on something like a 24 handicap to play on the course. With handicaps now at 54+ for most clubs it is probably just about the money now.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Just a couple of tips....

Most golf clubs websites will show what packages are available for Societies.... they are usually under the "visitors" tab but not always.
Once you have decided on a course, check what packages are available. Some are 18 holes with meal, others are 36 holes with a meal in between and evening meal etc.
Check the golf club for availability. Some clubs have specific days for visiting societies, and a lot of the more popular venues can be booked months and months in advance.
Don't be too ambitious with numbers. I have been caught out before. You might get 50 people say they want to attend but once the day gets closer, watch them drop like flies.
Keep the club fully up to date with numbers etc. I don't mean contact them every time one person drops out, but it's worth mentioning to them should you get a significant fall in attendees.
Always contact them at least two days before the event with a final head count. Failure to do this will see you likely being charged for the no shows too, so keep your wits about you.