I need a golf partner. Rant Warning.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I've just been googling and found contact details for the Club Seniors Captain.
I've sent him an email explaining the situation so hopefully he'll be able to help me with suggestions etc.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've just been googling and found contact details for the Club Seniors Captain.
I've sent him an email explaining the situation so hopefully he'll be able to help me with suggestions etc.
We have a sheet for the seniors to put their names on to play other clubs in matches.
We have a meet the senior members comp at the beginning of the season.
So have a look on the notice boards.
It’s a great way to get to know people

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Best to try and find some new playing partners, maybe he's not playing well, feels inadequate non competitive, un- fit, sore , or doesn't like being beat by his big brother or mates.
I admit to most of the above and I can understand where he's coming from.
Hard to take being beat by whippersnappers you use to beat easyily in the past.:cry::D:devilish:

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Not family but I started golfing with 2 good friends. Weekly game that we planned every Saturday morning. I got hooked but they didn’t so pretty soon they were cancelling games left right and centre. Still good mates but not golfing buddies.
I joined a roll up at the club and haven’t looked back since. Some great new mates and regular playing partners for comps Am-Am’s etc.
Funnily enough my original two mates now looking to restart golf as they are retiring so have told them to turn up and join in.

Swango1980

Visit site
If you are a member, then just try and speak to a Committee member, or the Pro (might be your first point of contact) to see what your options are, as others have suggested. It is in their interests to accommodate all members, so they won't tell you to sod off. In fact, they should be very enthusiastic that you are getting in touch with them.

If you play several times a week, you'll probably be able to enter competitions, and even the odd roll/up or swindle that happens in between. Yes, you won't be able to win a prize in a competition until you get "c" status again (assuming your club comps have that condition, which I assume they will). But, you can still play the round and have that card go in for your handicap, and then you'll get "c" back again. Also, "c" status will be a thing of the past come November when WHS comes into force. But, I recommend you get as many cards in before then, so when your WHS handicap is worked out for the first time, it has plenty of up to date data to work with.

Honestly, it sounds like your brother is not keen on golf at all. However, it sounds like you are mad keen. If so, I think you would really benefit from participating in club competitions and events. It can be daunting for novice / casual golfers to take that step. But, once they do, you'll find the vast majority never look back.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went round his this morning to collect my clubs (we use one car and they were in his still)
"Ah, you're going to do a few holes on your own then"
Politely but bluntly said "Maybe, maybe not. But had enough this. I'm fed up being f***ked about"
"Oh, ok "

That was it.
Just come back from doing 18 holes on my own - knackered. Ages since I did 18.
Anyway
Just happened to run into one of the guys who works at the club. He was collecting mishit range balls from the fairway I was on.
He asked where my brother was and I told him the situation.
He was excellent. He told me there's loads of stuff I can do and loads of friendly members who would be pleased to have me join them in groups, games, comps etc.
He's going to make a few enquiries and get back to me :)

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Need a new golf partner

Rant Warning first.

I'm really pissed off with my golfing partner (my brother)
We both retired and started playing golf together about 5 years ago when he took retirement.

We both have annual membership at our local club which is excellent value - If You Play Now and Then

Anyway - The original arrangement was we would play 3 times a week.
But almost straight off he looks for excuses to cancel. Routine stuff like Dr/Dentist appointments, shopping, car servicing etc. All stuff that that I or anyone one else would schedule around.

Then came medical issues (HAH) He's fit as a fiddle (4 years younger than me) and I suffer with feet and ankle problems as well as arthritis.
He's decided that pushing a trolley tires him. So now we share my clubs except for a couple that he carries in a pencil bag to satisfy the club regulations.
Also - He will only play a maximum of 9 holes. This has meant our handicaps have expired as we have not been able to put in full cards.

Now this morning he rang me...
I can't play tomorrow as I've got to go to the shops :mad:
But, says I, we always finish by 10:30.
"Er, um, yeah, um . . . . Are you stockpiling food because of the coronavirus" (typical diversion tactics)
Me " WHAT, no. What are you on about"
Him - "Well, with all the deaths there'll be panic buying.
Me - "They've just been discussing it on the TV. 21 people have died in the UK and 14,000 died of Flu last year.
Him - "Er, ok. see you next time then.

I need to find someone else to play with. I enjoy the golf and need the exercise.

Any suggestions welcome.

I would definitely just rock up at your club at the days / times you want to play and ask about on the putting green or 1st tee.

It's comfortable playing with a friend or family member all the time, but as you've found limits your options.

Most clubs will have regular Monday / Wednesday Friday morning group, or Tuesday night / Sunday morning group. Usually a bit of fun competition and the vast majority will be welcoming to a new face.

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
Not going to help in this case but, when I first joined my current club I started a WhatsApp group with 5 of us in, in order to arrange games etc. 3 years on it has grown to over a 100 members, including lady, junior members and even the club pro. The club has now actually put an option on the joining forms for new members if they want to join the group.
Great way for new/existing member to arrange games. The only thing is, it has be "policed" now with so many members so that inappropriate messages aren't posted. I have drawn up a "code of conduct" text that all new members get before joining. It is working well and we don't get many non golf related posts.

Swango1980

Visit site
Not going to help in this case but, when I first joined my current club I started a WhatsApp group with 5 of us in, in order to arrange games etc. 3 years on it has grown to over a 100 members, including lady, junior members and even the club pro. The club has now actually put an option on the joining forms for new members if they want to join the group.
Great way for new/existing member to arrange games. The only thing is, it has be "policed" now with so many members so that inappropriate messages aren't posted. I have drawn up a "code of conduct" text that all new members get before joining. It is working well and we don't get many non golf related posts.
It is a great idea. Our members have a whatsapp group that they use to organise social rounds.

Furthermore, we have a members Facebook Group (i.e. not a message group, but an actual Group page), and when new members join, as part of the welcome e-mail I will recommend they join that group. It is brilliant for organising casual rounds of golf, roll-ups or just provide general updates on the course or whatever. In particular, it has been brilliant for new members, as it is probably much easier to join a group like that and start to get to know people, rather than just turning up at the club in person and hoping you'll find a welcoming member at that moment. That can be quite daunting for some

JollyRedDevil

Club Champion
Visit site
It is a great idea. Our members have a whatsapp group that they use to organise social rounds.

Furthermore, we have a members Facebook Group (i.e. not a message group, but an actual Group page), and when new members join, as part of the welcome e-mail I will recommend they join that group. It is brilliant for organising casual rounds of golf, roll-ups or just provide general updates on the course or whatever. In particular, it has been brilliant for new members, as it is probably much easier to join a group like that and start to get to know people, rather than just turning up at the club in person and hoping you'll find a welcoming member at that moment. That can be quite daunting for some

The key so success of the group is to keep posts golf related and make sure people behave themselves. Having lady/junior members on the group helps quite a lot.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Medal Winner
Visit site
I thinK that expecting someone (anyone!) to play three times a week with you is quite an ask.

Maybe ask him if he’d be happier playing once a week plus the odd extra here and there when the weather is good..?