Golf Random Irritations

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sky TV schedule supposedly showing the last round of the women’s Amateur from Augusta. Instead they are showing some guy on the range at the Texas open. 💩 Chelsea versus Villa instead looks like a better option.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sky TV schedule supposedly showing the last round of the women’s Amateur from Augusta. Instead they are showing some guy on the range at the Texas open. 💩 Chelsea versus Villa instead looks like a better option.
Play was suspended due to heavy rain...it's on YouTube if you want to watch it..

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Was a bit of a shock this morning to find out we were open

Decided to carry as it was trolleys only on the paths on the back 9

Was surprised at how dry it was on the front 9 , the ripe drainage doing the business keeping the greens dry

Back 9 we have 3 bad spots on the fairways hence why trolleys must stick to paths

Well clearly that didn’t include the swindle of retired teachers behind us who ignored that taking trolleys wherever they want through the fairways etc ( at the same time as doing their weekly hold up the whole course ) . Asked them politely the first time to move their trolleys to the paths to be told “it’s miles away from my ball” - some clearly just don’t care.

Don’t know about you, Phil, but I wish clubs would take a firmer stance with members who think they can just do as they want.

We have a regular 3-ball who do just that. They play off the back tees even when the blocks aren’t out, meaning the tees are clearly out of use (they have been told that times). They ignore the tee sheet and simply rock up and start when they want, invariably leaving chaos in their wake. The list just goes on. They have no respect for the club, the members, the course or the staff.

As a proprietorship club it would be so easy for the management to simply cancel their subscriptions and tell them their business isn’t welcome but, despite the continuing complaints about their conduct, nothing ever changes.

They would absolutely be the sort to take trollies off paths and onto fairways as you describe.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don’t know about you, Phil, but I wish clubs would take a firmer stance with members who think they can just do as they want.

We have a regular 3-ball who do just that. They play off the back tees even when the blocks aren’t out, meaning the tees are clearly out of use (they have been told that times). They ignore the tee sheet and simply rock up and start when they want, invariably leaving chaos in their wake. The list just goes on. They have no respect for the club, the members, the course or the staff.

As a proprietorship club it would be so easy for the management to simply cancel their subscriptions and tell them their business isn’t welcome but, despite the continuing complaints about their conduct, nothing ever changes.

They would absolutely be the sort to take trollies off paths and onto fairways as you describe.

If you got a bunch to sign a petition threatening to leave if nothing is done about these guys, do you think that might work?
The same applies for Phil regarding the selfish idiots at his course.
Just a thought.

Mandofred

Visit site
Well, at least the course is open today.....12 holes. I'm playing tomorrow and since it is supposed to be nice and dry I'm hoping for at least 14....although I don't see why the whole course won't be open by then. And......that gets to my irritation.....

It's nice that the course at least posts whether the course is open or not....but it sure would be nice (real nice) if when things are shut they post something about why. A couple of weeks ago we played, and they had 14 holes open. A few days later they had 12 holes open even though the course was drier and in noticeably better shape. They may have a good reason....or they may be hungover....we don't know. I don't travel anymore, but I always found it really a pain if my plane was delayed and they never made an announcement of why.....they just left you sitting in the airport wondering what was going on. Jeez, I hated that. Letting you know what is going on makes a huge difference.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
…that in our monthly medals we can choose to play off yellows (front) rather than whites (back). Yes…there is a two shot reduction in PH when playing off yellows…however…in one competition a level playing field for all competitor…? I think not.

Yesterday in the April medal the white tees were off the stones. That makes things quite a bit harder. What made things doubly hard was the wind against, plus damp fairways and so little distance to shots other than carry. And the yellows…? Pretty much where they normally are it seemed.

My problem is simply that I struggle with the idea of members playing off different tees in the same competition as that for me undermines the integrity of the competition…we are not all playing on a level playing field. This was highlighted yesterday with some members choosing to play off yellows as they could see that playing off whites was very likely going to be a good bit more than two shots harder.

For an individual’s WHS purposes…it’s whatever it is, the system takes it into account. But for a common competition? No…it just doesn’t work for me.

I will ask our Golf Manager if he can provide a breakdown of how the Yellow Tee players fared against the White tee players. That might well sooth my fevered brow.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
…that in our monthly medals we can choose to play off yellows (front) rather than whites (back).
[snip]
For an individual’s WHS purposes…it’s whatever it is, the system takes it into account. But for a common competition? No…it just doesn’t work for me.
Isn't this how the future of comps is supposed to go? The goal is to be inclusive.
Consider integrated comps (men and ladies). Do you object to the ladies playing off the reds?
If not, why object to (presumably less able) men playing off the yellows?
Nothing to stop you playing off the yellows if you think it gives an advantage.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Isn't this how the future of comps is supposed to go? The goal is to be inclusive.
Consider integrated comps (men and ladies). Do you object to the ladies playing off the reds?
If not, why object to (presumably less able) men playing off the yellows?
Nothing to stop you playing off the yellows if you think it gives an advantage.
There isn’t…just seems to me than in certain circumstances / weather conditions there is not a level playing field, and the adjustment applied to PH to accommodate this is not consistent with the different courses the competitors are playing in the context of the conditions they are playing in. And as it happens yesterday I did not have a choice, I had to play off whites (for unavoidable reasons).

I just feel that the integrity of the competition is undermined, for some at least, by their perception that those playing off yellows got a very much and unfairly easier ride.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There isn’t…just seems to me than in certain circumstances / weather conditions there is not a level playing field, and the adjustment applied to PH to accommodate this is not consistent with the different courses the competitors are playing in the context of the conditions they are playing in. And as it happens yesterday I did not have a choice, I had to play off whites (for unavoidable reasons).

I just feel that the integrity of the competition is undermined, for some at least, by their perception that those playing off yellows got a very much and unfairly easier ride.
But surely the members aren’t that full of testosterone that they can’t think straight and decide it would be difficult off the whites, maybe play off the yellows to give themselves a chance (and maybe enjoy the round a bit more instead of being beaten up by the course). After all, the pro competitions sometimes move tees forward if the weather is dodgy 😁

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But surely the members aren’t that full of testosterone that they can’t think straight and decide it would be difficult off the whites, maybe play off the yellows to give themselves a chance (and maybe enjoy the round a bit more instead of being beaten up by the course). After all, the pro competitions sometimes move tees forward if the weather is dodgy 😁
In a way an individual‘s choice is not the point, or rather in some ways it is…in difficult conditions and when whites are set long, the two sets of tees effectively give the players two different courses and so across the field there is not a single and level playing field. And you are not really going to fully appreciate that before you go out.

My point is not one of player enjoyment, rather it is one of perception of competitive fairness and integrity of competition that PH adjustment tries to accommodate but that in some circumstances doesn’t.

Anyway…yet another one of those hills that I’m not going to choose to die on. And indeed it may be that most players playing off forward tees struggled just as much.

evemccc

Visit site
In a way an individual‘s choice is not the point, or rather in some ways it is…in difficult conditions and when whites are set long, the two sets of tees effectively give the players two different courses and so across the field there is not a single and level playing field. And you are not really going to fully appreciate that before you go out.

My point is not one of player enjoyment, rather it is one of perception of competitive fairness and integrity of competition that PH adjustment tries to accommodate but that in some circumstances doesn’t.

Anyway…yet another one of those hills that I’m not going to choose to die on. And indeed it may be that most players playing off forward tees struggled just as much.

Good wisdom —- choose your hills to die on!!

IJames

Visit site
Fine for caual rounds, even if for handicap, but daft for a competition - which should be on a single course!

Jason.H

Visit site
As for mixed tee comps. Would it not be easier to organise seperate comps for each tee? If people play mixed tees in a single comp and a pattern appears that the forward tees are most likely to win💁

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
As for mixed tee comps. Would it not be easier to organise seperate comps for each tee? If people play mixed tees in a single comp and a pattern appears that the forward tees are most likely to win💁
Maybe it just so happens that the medal was won by a 19 handicapper playing off the forward (yellow) tees scoring nett 5 under (was actually 7 under against par) 🤔

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Course is open today and after all the rain we have had recently, most members know it really shouldn't. Also it is carry if you can and we also know that many selfish people will still trudge round with their trolleys. Guess who will be the first to moan come the summer that the course is not in tip top condition?

Jason.H

Visit site
Our course bans trolleys. I’d like to think when the course is like this they would stop visitor bookings to reduce traffic but let members play after all they have paid for 12 months. Or is that selfish 😂

Reactions: sjw