Golf commentators

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
To me golf and cricket commentators these days do more than just describe the action (ie, what the viewer can see), they are generally ex players and so can pick up on things that the untrained eye can't see eg, difficulty of shot, tactics etc.
Also, i want a commentator to be willing to criticise when appropiate and not sugar coat stuff - if you want to be everyones buddy, dont become a commentator.
Specifically to golf i think Paul McGinley adds something as he is quite opinionated and has strong views that he is prepared to say, and also calls a bad shot, a bad shot - whereas Ewen Murray too often looks to make excuses when a player hits a poor shot instead of calling it for what it is - and also at times gives too much credit, ie, praising spin control when a player was simply hoping to reach the green.

Rich
I find Paul McGinley poor, can't take to him atall. Very much like Mark Roe he won't say things bad about certain players but will have snide digs at others. Rich beem and Wayne Riley are great, butch in fact most of the sky team are, just the two mentioned previously I don't find very good

sunshine

Visit site
There's only 2 commentators I can't stand that's Mark Roe because whenever I listen to him he invariably gets something wrong like a players name, it's wholly unprofessional and makes him look a knob. The other is Peter Alliss, I grew up with him and enjoyed his wit and dulcet tones over the year, but sadly think he should have been retired to the old commentators home a while ago. He is still rolling out the same anecdotes he had 25 years ago, hasn't moved forward with the times and sport and imo is what brings down the BBC commentary team.

Other than those 2 I don't really mind who I listen to but I am a Faldo fan he generally is insightful and says what needs to be said.

Agree with all 3 opinions.

In addition Roe annoys me with his sycophantic Tiger adulation.

Alliss long past his sell by date. Not just his dinosaur sexism but it has become obvious he doesn't follow the PGA Tour so he knew knew nothing about many of the golfers when he was commentating last year. Embarrassing.

Faldo is spot on.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That's the difference between the pundit and the commentators

The former are not voice talent but can provide the insight
The latter have broadcast voices but at best are amateur players (if that)

If the viewers want the insight we need to accept all the voices aren't always going to suit our ears (just listen to exfootballers as pundits) and only a small few even want to be pundits so the talent pool is not big to choose from

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I can't comment on football because I never watch it but I do watch F1 and Ben Edwards gets on my nerves.
He never stops talking except when DC manages to get a word in edgeways.
I think he thinks he's commentating for radio and has to describe everything that is going on.
He's there to comment not to talk incessantly, the clue is in the job title.
Disclaimer
I may be biased as he loves Verstappen and I can't stand the arrogant, smug, egotistical, pompous, big headed, sour faced, miserable, never his fault, violent, spoiled brat him.

Last edited:

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can't comment on football because I never watch it but I do watch F1 and Ben Edwards gets on my nerves.
He never stops talking except when DC manages to get a word in edgeways.
I think he thinks he's commentating for radio and has to describe everything that is going on.
He's there to comment not to talk incessantly, the clue is in the job title.
Disclaimer
I may be biased as he loves Verstappen and I can't stand the arrogant, smug, egotistical, pompous, big headed, sour faced, miserable, never his fault, violent, spoiled brat him.

Did you realise that you spelt Hamilton incorrectly!