Which shot from the pros...

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
What well executed shot do you enjoy seeing most when watching the pros on TV & why?

Might be long putt, plugged bunker, humungous driver, high lofted wedge, exocet 4-iron etc etc etc

For me it’s a really good fairway wood shot (played off the fairway, not the tee or out the rough or with placing)

They may well practice it for hours but I’d say it’s the shot they play the least in comps (so I’m reasoning it’s the least familiar shot under comp conditions) and it’s a real pleasure to see them hit it close from such distances and with what seems like intimate knowledge and skill to make it either run out or stop in short order
(and even with distance being relative its probably the shot I'm most envious of that I can't pull off with any kind of assurance on the outcome)

You?

(apologies in advance that this isn't a contentious enough topic for some, its just a post about golf... just move along)

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
40-50 yd bunker shot. The number if times they put it to 4ft, hole the putt and get out of there safely is crazy. I usually either leave it halfway to the hole or I'm apologising to the group on the next tee who have my ball right next to them :angry:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I doubt this is the hardest for them, but I like watching them from 100 yards and in where they fire it in low, the ball bounces once and then stops right next to the flag. Lots of confidence in the quality of the strike and that the ball will stop.

D

Deleted member 1418

Not really any one shot but just the variety of shots that they can play depending on the conditions and how they see the shot, mostly around the green - one pro might play a bump and run; another might loft it all the way to the pin.

Surely this thread is calling out for a video montage of all of Seve's most outrageous shots!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The drives of DJ are just unreal. When he bombs one 400 yards I just sit there with my mouth open.

The other shots I love watching are Matsuyama's irons. He has this knack of them just hopping up to the flag and then stopping dead with a little bit of backspin. When he was on form in the latter half of last year, watching his iron play was amazing.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Long iron approach shots; they seem to swing so smoothly yet create phenomenal club head speed and, of course, the contact between club and ball is so accurate.

D

Deleted member 1147

I love watching them chip.
I really enjoyed it when I was at Woburn watching the British Masters. We sat next to the 7th green for quite a while and enjoyed watching the different approaches to very similar chip shots.
Chris Wood & Matt Fitzpatrick were both in fairly unappetising rough next to the green and both chipped. One with a very open lob wedge going skywards, the other closed down the face and bumped it.
Very interesting to see how they played from about 2 feet apart and from very similar lies.
Just goes to show that there isn't one correct approach.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like to see when they are on or just off the fairway but have some low hanging branches in front of them that they have to go under and punch one up near the green. Love the low flight that starts a foot off the ground and then somehow gets up in the air.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The pitch/chip shot from 50yds and I where the ball bounces once maybe twice then stops dead, usually within a few feet of the pin.

Its not really the hardest shot to play. Factor in the brand new pro v, sharp new wedge and beautifully manicured course then it really isn't difficult.

Its one of my favourite shots to play but the courses I tend to play the majority of the time, don't lend to it. They just don't stop quick enough. You just have to factor that in when you play it.

D

Deleted member 16999

I doubt this is the hardest for them, but I like watching them from 100 yards and in where they fire it in low, the ball bounces once and then stops right next to the flag. Lots of confidence in the quality of the strike and that the ball will stop.
^^This^^ all day long.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Just watching the Dubai Dessert Classic, McIlroy, Stenson, Garcia and Pieters all pretty much just played all the shots mentioned above in the space of 1 hole. Awesome to watch

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
shaping shots from behind trees onto a distant green. i'd like to have these shots because i have a history of finding my mumbles in places where shot into the green is blocked