BBC, Iain Carter Golf reporting.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Thanks for your “help”. Much appreciated. However, the thread was started about the BBC’s reporting of this particular event. The OP said “Iain Carter and the BBC should be pushing the positivity of this event.”
You mentioned the reporting of Sky. No-one else did. My point was that at least Sky are broadcasting the event which is what a broadcaster should do. Surely allowing us to watch an event is preferable to allowing us to read about it?
Whenever the BBC is mentioned, you always jump to its defence (fair enough) but you do this by favourably comparing them to Sky, which usually doesn’t stack up. You have done so again here.
I would rather watch it than read about it so Sky win hands down for covering the event. I find a lot of the BBC sport website is pretty average compared to Sky but funny how whenever any sort of BBC v Sky comes up there are some that will not have a word said against good old Auntie, even though their contribution to showing golf is minimal

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Umm sky was mentioned by two people before I mentioned them

And surely with Sky being the “Home of Golf” when someone is being critical of what the BBC report then they are a good comparison

So compare the two reporting functions - websites - simple.
I think Sky call themselves the home of golf because they have a channel dedicated to golf. Not because of their website.
They do cover golf news on their Sky Sports News channel as well an their apps thingy on Sky Q.
Going back to the OP and the interest in women playing in this particular tournament, Sky also promote female participation in all sports, through their Sportswomen series.
So it might be a bit harsh picking on their website when everything else they do is industry best.
TBH, I can’t really comment on their website, I don’t use it. I get enough from their TV stuff. If I do need golf news I would use a golf specific site.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

And surely with Sky being the “Home of Golf” when someone is being critical of what the BBC report then they are a good comparison

So compare the two reporting functions - websites - simple.
No! Compare the overall 'reporting' - website, Live action, live reporting. Sky wins hands down for overall coverage. The Beeb simply can't compete - overall! And for the simple 'business model' reason - Beeb provides it 'for free' (well, every project competing within a fixed budget) while Sky makes a (considerable) profit from it and is, basically, driven by the amount of revenue (subs, advertising, sponsorship) each area can bring in!

Homer

Visit site
So in line with what many have said, the BBC reporting of golf is getting pretty poor as time progresses. Iain Carter talks about ‘growing the game’. Apart from the leaderboard, the ISPS Handa Victoria Open is getting zero column inches on the BBC website.
The Vic Open here on Australia may not the biggest tournament, but it had been co-sanctioned by the EuropeanTour and LPGA. I believe I’m right in saying it is being shown over there in the UK on Sky? Why is this significant, well bothe the men’s and ladies are playing concurrently on the same course, alternating between ladies and men’s groups. (Yes, some tees are slightly moved up for the women, as any right minded person would expect).
The biggest part is that both Ladies and Men’s tours are playing for equal prize money.
I think that taken these points into consideration alone that Iain Carter and the BBC should be pushing the positivity of this event. She may not be everyone cup of tea, but Christina Kim’s appreciation and enthusiasm for being allowed to play in amoungdt the men’s groups was plain to see. Dame Laura Davies also spoke very well on how this could raise the profile of the lesser tournaments with this format. Meanwhile, in the States, the PGA Tour have are pandering to the celebrities that do not need further exposure at Pebble beach. Meanwhile the worldwide ladies tours that are suffering with little sponsorship support and infrequent competitions. The PGA and the pebble beach tournament would be richer for having the ladies as per the ISPS Handa and ditching the celebrity love in....in my opinion? Thoughts ladies and gents?

Perhaps there is just little interest? It’s not really even a proper men’s event to be honest is it?!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
So in line with what many have said, the BBC reporting of golf is getting pretty poor as time progresses. Iain Carter talks about ‘growing the game’. Apart from the leaderboard, the ISPS Handa Victoria Open is getting zero column inches on the BBC website.
The Vic Open here on Australia may not the biggest tournament, but it had been co-sanctioned by the EuropeanTour and LPGA. I believe I’m right in saying it is being shown over there in the UK on Sky? Why is this significant, well bothe the men’s and ladies are playing concurrently on the same course, alternating between ladies and men’s groups. (Yes, some tees are slightly moved up for the women, as any right minded person would expect).
The biggest part is that both Ladies and Men’s tours are playing for equal prize money.
I think that taken these points into consideration alone that Iain Carter and the BBC should be pushing the positivity of this event. She may not be everyone cup of tea, but Christina Kim’s appreciation and enthusiasm for being allowed to play in amoungdt the men’s groups was plain to see. Dame Laura Davies also spoke very well on how this could raise the profile of the lesser tournaments with this format. Meanwhile, in the States, the PGA Tour have are pandering to the celebrities that do not need further exposure at Pebble beach. Meanwhile the worldwide ladies tours that are suffering with little sponsorship support and infrequent competitions. The PGA and the pebble beach tournament would be richer for having the ladies as per the ISPS Handa and ditching the celebrity love in....in my opinion? Thoughts ladies and gents?

Completely ignoring the issue of BBC coverage, I have a major 'problem' with the concept of 'equal prize money' when the playing field is not actually equal!

If the Ladies Tour are really pushing for 'equal pay' then the solution should really be 'for equal ability' - which means that Ladies should compete in the same tournament - off the same tees - as Men!

I believe the same, bifurcation, should apply in Tennis as well! BJK and others have done an extremely good job (congratulations to them) at achieving 'equal pay' in Tennis majors (well, in a token way), but, imo, it's actually seriously distorted towards the Ladies! It's not 'equal pay for equal work'!

Now it's not that I don't appreciate the amount of training etc that Ladies in both sports put in, but the interest from the 'general public' is simply not there! So sponsorship is significantly less - corresponding to reduced exposure. ISPS Handa is doing an incredible job promoting/funding Ladies Golf, but it's not something that can make the Ladies Tour as interesting as the Men's Tour - and that's irrespective of the 'indistinguishable' Korean heritage Ladies involved.