European Tour in Saudi Arabia

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 15344

So what’s people’s tbinking about this

Should the tour be going anywhere near a country which such appalling human rights and disgraceful attitude towards Ladies.

A number of golfers have turned down going there where as a few are being criticised for going

Should sports stars use their platform to make a stance ? Or are they right in the whole “ not a politician “ stance ( or a cop out )

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/golf/20...i-arabian-tournament-human-rights-violations/

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/golf/saudi-arabia-international-golf-tournament-jamal-khashoggi-murder-death-a8750441.html?amp

https://news.sky.com/story/golfers-...iloquists-for-abhorrent-saudi-regime-11620265

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Dubai and China aren’t squeaky clean either in regards to how immigrants or the poorer memebers are treated.

I respect the golfers choice to go or not, but think that if they are refusing to go to one country because of human rights then they should at least be consistent.

Wolf

Visit site
It's a golf tournament with a huge prize fund so is there any surprise that there will be a lot of big name players in the field.

There are other events in countries around the world that don't have good Images but nothing is said about those.

I don't believe politics should come into sports and people have a right to decide where and when they play regardless of other political views. Casey couldn't play even if he had wanted to as a Unicef ambassador it wouldn't look good.

Id say Justin Rose should be more worried about that horrendous orange shirt he is wearing in that article than whether or not he should play in a big event.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I agree with the other posts so far. You can take apart most of the countries that golf goes to, same with most sports. You either have to be consistent, which would pretty much mean only playing in your home country, or separate sport from politics and get on with it. I prefer the latter approach.

There is huge hypocrisy over this issue where people selectively decide to take the moral high ground.

Just seen woofers post below. Totally agree with his comments about sportsmen giving a cop out excuse, pathetic from Poulter. I have no problem with them going there to play a tournament but be honest about it. Don't give politician style answers, it's beneath them.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Take your pick of countries with poor human rights records holding big sporting events .
Yes, but we’re not talking about other big sporting events, we are asking about the European Golf Tour.
Golf, the sport with the image that is “whiter than white” when it comes to fair play.....allegedly.
On this occasion, as is so often the case, money talks .... and it shouts here.
Golfers suggesting they aren’t clever enough to get into politics, they are just “sportsmen” are ducking the issue. They say they are going to “experience” Saudi Arabia for themselves, yeah right! They will experience the same as every week, courtesy cars and high end facilities.
You don’t need to be a politician to understand the Saudi regime, you just need a brain, I can understand Dustin Johnson not getting it, but Poulter does himself no credit by saying his IQ isn’t high enough to get the picture.
I’m undecided about watching it.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Its a tough one... Saudi do what they like and the world ignores it becuse of oil wealth. There is a distinct heiracy of what it is fashionable to take offence over. Qatar getting the World Cup is a classic. Will anyone boycott? Not a chance. Israel qualify... they wont be allowed in.

We had folk on here refuse to play Turnberry last year because they dont approve of the owner. I respect that choice and wonder of they check the ownership of all the courses they go to, or businesses they trade with.

Will any boycott matter one jot to the Saudis? Certainly not. Would I go? Probably not.

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk
I agree with the other posts so far. You can take apart most of the countries that golf goes to, same with most sports. You either have to be consistent, which would pretty much mean only playing in your home country, or separate sport from politics and get on with it. I prefer the latter approach.

There is huge hypocrisy over this issue where people selectively decide to take the moral high ground.

Just seen woofers post below. Totally agree with his comments about sportsmen giving a cop out excuse, pathetic from Poulter. I have no problem with them going there to play a tournament but be honest about it. Don't give politician style answers, it's beneath them.
100% agree, The ET visits China, UAE, Turkey..... where does it ever end?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think as members of the European Tour the majority of players will be able to take their golfing lead (social/business/moral/ethical) from what the tour sanctions, and the tour set it up in that country
As a business the European Tour can take its lead from what other European (& US) business & governments do, and for the most part they all do business with Saudi Arabia

Looking from outside I'd ask, how can it be ok for all those other businesses and governments to ply their trade with Saudi Arabia (no doubt with more than the odd game of golf being played when they set up all those trade deals!) and not ok for a golf business to set up a tournament

I think the players will probably be safer there than in numerous other countries so I don't think player safety will be an issue
As self employed people the players have the option to turn it down on personal grounds if they feel they either don't agree with something or don't feel safe (plenty do this at various tournaments already)

There are certain countries we do business with but for whatever reason we wouldn't sell weapons to but even that restriction doesn't apply in this case, so its either a country you will or wont do business with (as they say you cant be a little bit pregnant)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Plenty of places with a long history in regards to human rights. Heck, it wasn't that long ago the US tour was whites only (Charlie Sifford only joining in 1961 as first Afro-American) so I don't think Saudi Arabia should be hung out to dry. Plenty of issues with China, UAE, Turkey etc all of which are hardly model nations. Players can make their own decision based on their feeling to it but ultimately the ET and this event are a business and money talks and there will be plenty enough willing to take the money on offer for doing well this week.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Not ideal, but probably more likely to drag Saudi into the current century by having these events there, rather than not having them.

Also, it should be clear that this is the Tour's decision to have the event and no players should be criticised for playing the event, whether they need to be there or not.

Clearly a big difference for the likes of Bryson, DJ, Kopka, Reed, and Rose whose ranking and status are not under question (and are probably getting a few barrels of oil for turning up) compared to a host of other guys who are trying to get top 100 or top 50 to qualify for the Masters or USPGA, or simply keep their status for 2020.

And lets not take the moral high ground too highly given the death and destruction that UK and US governments have been responsible for around the world, in this century and the previous (no doubt plenty of other events that we have never heard of).

drdel

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you look hard enough there's plenty to criticise with many countries. If you follow the principle of "...when in Rome..." most places are quite safe.

The ET is now quite happy going to South Africa but its hardly a paragon of virtue.

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
I get the argument about China, UAE etc re human rights and if it’s ok there etc etc.....but maybe a line should be drawn. Saudi Arabia (with U.K. help) is currently engaging in famine as a weapon of war in the Yemen. It’s could be argued it’s genocide. The killing of the journalist in Turkey seems to have been forgotten about also, these aren’t human rights violations but atrocities! But I guess it’s shades of grey 😱

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Even though it still is one of the most oppressive countries in the world, especially towards women, Saudi Arabia seems to be slowly changing for the better. Women are now allowed to drive and to go outside without a headcover (both huge steps forward for women's rights in Saudi Arabia). Of course those steps are by far not enough, but at least there is movement, and large international sports events might be another way in which Saudi Arabia slowly opens up the rest of the world a bit more. And I mean, it is not the Olympic Games or anyhting. It is just a golf tournament.

Actually, while Saudi Arabia always was one of the worst, if not the worst country when it came to disregard of women's rights, all western nations have always kept quite good diplomatic and (most of all) economic relations with it. Nobody bloody cared. There were wars fought against countries like Iraq (one of the most secular Islamic countries in the world at the time) in the name of human rights, but when Saudi Arabia was concerned, everyone turned a blind eye. And then, when the country is finally beginning to change, at least marginally, a sports event should not go where politicians of all western countries have happily (if maybe a bit quietly) traded arms and oil for decades? That's totally bigot.