European Tour in Saudi Arabia

• Thread starter Deleted member 15344
  • Start date

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Yes, but we’re not talking about other big sporting events, we are asking about the European Golf Tour.
Golf, the sport with the image that is “whiter than white” when it comes to fair play.....allegedly.
On this occasion, as is so often the case, money talks .... and it shouts here.
Golfers suggesting they aren’t clever enough to get into politics, they are just “sportsmen” are ducking the issue. They say they are going to “experience” Saudi Arabia for themselves, yeah right! They will experience the same as every week, courtesy cars and high end facilities.
You don’t need to be a politician to understand the Saudi regime, you just need a brain, I can understand Dustin Johnson not getting it, but Poulter does himself no credit by saying his IQ isn’t high enough to get the picture.
I’m undecided about watching it.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Anyone know if the golf course will be treated as a “western compound” in which the dress code is a bit more relaxed than the public areas?
As far as I know, the general dress code rules prohibit men from wearing shorts in public, and women have to be covered down to wrists and ankles.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
European Tour offered a tournament and sponsorship. Guess what the ET is going to do!!!!!

Money talks.

OLgolfer

Visit site
Can’t understand why anyone would direct any criticism to the players. It’s the European tour who organises the events and decides where it goes.

For me it stinks a little of taking the hypocritical moral high ground. It’s golf... what’s a boycott of a country really going to do... nothing

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Can’t understand why anyone would direct any criticism to the players. It’s the European tour who organises the events and decides where it goes.

For me it stinks a little of taking the hypocritical moral high ground. It’s golf... what’s a boycott of a country really going to do... nothing

The players are self employed, no one makes them go there, it’s between them and their conscience
It’s difficult to judge, if it was my job, who knows, but it’s not true to say a boycott would achieve nothing. Sporting boycotts work amongst a raft of other sanctions. The fault lies with the European tour but as has been said previously, it’s about the bottom line.
The Saudis are using this event to help legitimise their regime, but it feels grubby imo

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm against it although I think the criticsm should be at the European Tour more but players have to stand by their own position. I also think a new event is slightly different to an established one as you're making the choice to take it on despite the current events happening.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I'm against it although I think the criticsm should be at the European Tour more but players have to stand by their own position. I also think a new event is slightly different to an established one as you're making the choice to take it on despite the current events happening.

Tbf, the countries I’d consider dubious we’re all dubious when they were awarded it too. It’s not like things have only recevently got bad in China or Dubai.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Apart from the stars, many pros need to earn a living. They never know if their form will leave them tomorrow or that injury will force them out of the game. Yes they have a choice but for some it might make a significant difference to them, e.g. will they finish the year with enough money to keep their card or a win might give them an exemption they might never get near to winning again.

Blame the tour not them.

And how many of us will be asking where the fuel we put in our car is from? Will we fill up the tank in whatever garage we choose or...? Just who are the hypocrites in the wider picture, all of us?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Apart from the stars, many pros need to earn a living. They never know if their form will leave them tomorrow or that injury will force them out of the game. Yes they have a choice but for some it might make a significant difference to them, e.g. will they finish the year with enough money to keep their card or a win might give them an exemption they might never get near to winning again.

Blame the tour not them.

And how many of us will be asking where the fuel we put in our car is from? Will we fill up the tank in whatever garage we choose or...? Just who are the hypocrites in the wider picture, all of us?

Very True, if anyone should be making a stand its the UK Gov, not sportsmen and women

While the Uk Gov are happy to trade arms, buy oil and host official visits for this regime, why should sport be made to make a stand?

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
ER where do I start, my club has been taking Blood/ oil money for years. Which in turn through transfers to other prem league clubs inc Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal have all banked said money. So what's the differance in the European league going there. Well as has been mentioned slowly slowly Saudi Arabia is changing its stances. Golfers and others may well help to speed that process up, it may not.

D

Deleted member 1147

For some of the players, the money and points earned this week may be the difference between keeping or losing their card.
So I can understand some of them playing.
I also applaud those that won’t. Paul Casey for example is a UNICEF ambassador, so has distanced himself from the event.

The main issue is that the tour so desperately needs money to keep up with the Yanks it goes to many undesirable places.

My worry is what happens if Rolex ever stop pumping money into the tour?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Blame the tour not them.

I agree. How many of those at the bottom end of the rankings who are able to play this week are already worried about a card for 2020 it is another opportunity to get some money and retain their playing rights. Again, it might even be "that week" and a breakthrough performance for someone.

As for petrol, who on here really cares where it comes from as long as it comes out the pump and the car goes from A to B

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Mr Pepperell:

I’ve seen a number of tweets saying we shouldn’t be here in Saudi Arabia. But let me remind you of this; Only last year women weren’t allowed to wear any clothes AT ALL in my house.

😁😀

He is quite simply the best thing about Twitter! Some of his exchanges are fantastic!

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Agree with what JR said. “I’m a pro golfer, not a politician”

There are all sorts of bad things happening all around the world, why pick on Saudi?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Agree with what JR said. “I’m a pro golfer, not a politician”

There are all sorts of bad things happening all around the world, why pick on Saudi?
Because theirs seems more extreme than others ?
Treatment of women especially.

Britishshooting

Club Champion
Visit site
You're not going to change anything by not hitting a golf ball around one of their courses.

I don't think any players should be criticised or feel as they can't go, they didn't select the venue the Tour did.

Turn up and play, decline to comment on politics, take your wage and go home.

Anybody offended by you playing there will be offended by something else within the hour anyway and lose their focus on you.