How Come There Is No Mention of Seniors Golf On The BBC?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
We don't see any 'seniors' cricket, tennis, cycling or horse dancing on TV.
So why golf.
There isn't senior cricket, seniors tennis is more of a show, not a serious event. Not aware of a seniors Tour of Britain cycling event and you can horse dance at any age. The golf was a Seniors major I believe so not just a regular event.

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
BBC coverage of most sports, especially live sport is terrible! They ignore/can't afford the majority of the events and then complain when the sports threaten to take the 'protected' events off them. Why should they have the FA Cup final, etc when they can't be bothered with the rest of the season? And then, because they don't cover that sport very often, they don't have the expertise to do it properly.

BBC coverage of the FA Cup in recent years is second to none……nearly every game covered….

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Given its budgetary constraints, 'Covers too much' = 'Is spread too thinly'. Which is demonstrated by what prompted this thread!

That may be a 'problem' for those sites, but that (imo non-)issue should have been a startup consideration for those sites, not for BBC!
I agree - but how often do you hear the anti-beebers - importantly in the ranks of Tory MPs - use it to attack and try and undermine the BBC.

4LEX

Visit site
BBC coverage is shocking anyway. If you want good golf coverage don't look to that joke of a company.

I was more surprised at Sky only having it as a bonus stream and that having technical problems on the final two days.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Had Darren Clarke won then I think we would have got something/a mirror image of whatever was on the European Tour site. Used to work at the BBC Sport around 2001-04, three desks (20) of football writers, two people covered all of cricket and half a person on golf

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
BBC coverage of the FA Cup in recent years is second to none……nearly every game covered….
The ones they show on TV live are the same teams you can see week in, week out on Sky i.e. Premiership teams. Why not show the lower league teams for (probably) more excitement and better football with no play acting when 'touched'?

D

Deleted member 16999

The ones they show on TV live are the same teams you can see week in, week out on Sky i.e. Premiership teams. Why not show the lower league teams for (probably) more excitement and better football with no play acting when 'touched'?
No their not, BBC show live coverage of rounds 1 & 2, plus highlights, the PL teams don’t enter until 3rd round and then it’s normally at least 1 or 2 games of a big club v lower league depending on the draw.

D

Deleted member 15344

That’s not true - they show the early rounds and lots of time they show non league teams and lower league teams - they certainly don’t just show the Premier League teams

D

Deleted member 15344

Do you just view the BBC as TV then? How many matches do they stream? National Radio? Local Radio?

Qualifying rounds and all rounds proper….
?‍♂️

Sorry I don’t understand ? The BBC is the network including online , radio etc

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I agree - but how often do you hear the anti-beebers - importantly in the ranks of Tory MPs - use it to attack and try and undermine the BBC.
That's those drongos simply (ab?)using their position to push their own selfish attitudes! I wonder how they'd react to being examined to anything like the level of detail, publicity and permanence that the BBC is - instead of only when their own 'dodgy dealings' are identified and made public!

Crumplezone

Visit site
BBC coverage is shocking anyway. If you want good golf coverage don't look to that joke of a company.

I was more surprised at Sky only having it as a bonus stream and that having technical problems on the final two days.

IMO BBC coverage of golf, when they have it, is fine. It's nor more or less interesting or informative than SKY with the bonus of not having 15 minutes of ads per hour.

TogoPresley

Visit site
That's those drongos simply (ab?)using their position to push their own selfish attitudes! I wonder how they'd react to being examined to anything like the level of detail, publicity and permanence that the BBC is - instead of only when their own 'dodgy dealings' are identified and made public!
To be fair their position is elected every 5 years, so they stand accountable for their attitudes selfish or otherwise. The BBC should be accountable too - they collect a licence fee under threat of jail to watch any live TV and yet some f their presenters seem to think that they are free to project a political agenda too! Reading autocues, hiding salaries in production companies washing their wares in dodgy film schemes. They are at risk of over-egging it!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
To be fair their position is elected every 5 years, so they stand accountable for their attitudes selfish or otherwise....
There are only a (relative) few MPs who are actually truly accountable to their electorate - those in marginal seats. Cameron's recent 'dodgy dealing', for example, hasn't and won't cost him anywhere near what it should (imo) - if it 'costs' him anything at all!
One only needs to refer to the Parliamentary 'Expenses Scandal' of a number of years ago to see how corrupt a portion of our elected representatives can be!
...The BBC should be accountable too - they collect a licence fee under threat of jail to watch any live TV and yet some f their presenters seem to think that they are free to project a political agenda too! Reading autocues, hiding salaries in production companies washing their wares in dodgy film schemes. They are at risk of over-egging it!
You are confusing criticism of 'The BBC as an institution' with that of some of the 'talent'! Go check out the huge amount of 'accountability' that is heaped on the BBC that doesn't exist for other broadcasters!
Those 'dodgy practices' you refer to by the 'talent' employed by BBC - and doubtless other broadcasters, but we don't hear details about their 'talent' to anywhere near the same degree - are not something BBC - or any 'employer' - can/should be concerned about. That's purely, at least initially, something that's between the 'talent' and Inland Revenue imo and is more a reflection of the attitude of the 'talent' imo, not of the organisation(s)!
If you have any real concerns about BBC's presenters exceeding their briefs, there are ways set up to challenge those incidents properly. Anything else - including this discussion - is just scuttlebutt!

TogoPresley

Visit site
There are only a (relative) few MPs who are actually truly accountable to their electorate - those in marginal seats. Cameron's recent 'dodgy dealing', for example, hasn't and won't cost him anywhere near what it should (imo) - if it 'costs' him anything at all!
One only needs to refer to the Parliamentary 'Expenses Scandal' of a number of years ago to see how corrupt a portion of our elected representatives can be!

You are confusing criticism of 'The BBC as an institution' with that of some of the 'talent'! Go check out the huge amount of 'accountability' that is heaped on the BBC that doesn't exist for other broadcasters!
Those 'dodgy practices' you refer to by the 'talent' employed by BBC - and doubtless other broadcasters, but we don't hear details about their 'talent' to anywhere near the same degree - are not something BBC - or any 'employer' - can/should be concerned about. That's purely, at least initially, something that's between the 'talent' and Inland Revenue imo and is more a reflection of the attitude of the 'talent' imo, not of the organisation(s)!
If you have any real concerns about BBC's presenters exceeding their briefs, there are ways set up to challenge those incidents properly. Anything else - including this discussion - is just scuttlebutt!

No I'm not confusing things - the BBC are hand-in-hand with their talent suppressing the headline reward figures by not including the production company fees in the salary reporting - they are not 100% PAYE and this other work has been banked in Film Schemes which IR are onto. I honestly think they are decent value - Lineker is a brilliant presenter, he does use his constant presence as a public salaried employee as loss leader for his crisps and BT work though and dips into his political views too. Of course it's much worse when a news presenter - Maitlis for example continually uses their impartial public platform for their private views. Zero accountability there.

MPs well - they have a tin ear and a brass neck when it comes to accountability - we have one in court this week on a housing fraud charge FFS, but they need to get voted in each election, so the electorate are the judge.