Golf Random Irritations

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I agree the course needs to be protected.
I've been asking for more paths to be made where needed.

Def makes a difference, and as much of an irritation as 90 degree golf is I'm glad of the 8km of concrete path that means we can still use buggys even in heavy rain

sunshine

Visit site
I'm glad of the 8km of concrete path that means we can still use buggys even in heavy rain

I'm really not a fan of go karting race tracks on golf courses. I recognise that on some modern courses this is required because the holes are so spaced out, but "golf course" and "concrete path" shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm really not a fan of go karting race tracks on golf courses. I recognise that on some modern courses this is required because the holes are so spaced out, but "golf course" and "concrete path" shouldn't be in the same sentence.
You must be familiar with Rickmansworth - I'll never forget the time my tee shot on the 15th went right of the green, hit the path and went flying over the 16th tee box. :LOL: Lucky nobody was there teeing off. In fairness you'd probably need a concrete path to get up that hill, otherwise they'll be installing a ski-lift for winter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Today it has been back to asking us to carry - at least the course is open. No point in messing it up now given the efforts members and the greens team have made over winter to protect the course given the worst ravages of the weather and the ravages we members could inflict on it.

sunshine

Visit site
You must be familiar with Rickmansworth - I'll never forget the time my tee shot on the 15th went right of the green, hit the path and went flying over the 16th tee box. :LOL: Lucky nobody was there teeing off. In fairness you'd probably need a concrete path to get up that hill, otherwise they'll be installing a ski-lift for winter.

15th is the long par 3 across the big dip right?

I always get confused over the hole numbering at Ricky. They abandoned the 3rd hole (was a v short par 3) and built the 17th to replace it.

NearHull

Visit site
1st April tomorrow, normally the time when winter rules is ceased :ROFLMAO:

Not 1April any longer. From EG Website

As of 1st October 2022, through to 30th April 2023 (inclusive), preferred lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less are permissible. Should a club require any extension to the preferred lies period, they are to seek approval from their County, who would look at things on a case-by-case basis.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
15th is the long par 3 across the big dip right?

I always get confused over the hole numbering at Ricky. They abandoned the 3rd hole (was a v short par 3) and built the 17th to replace it.
Yeah that's the one. 'Ridiculous canyon' rather than 'big dip' in my opinion. Ha.

I didn't realise that, I've seen the green there between the 2nd and 3rd holes (as I know them) but never seen it in use - my mate said they used it once as a temporary hole when a different hole was shut. That green has essentially green over now though. That does also explain why the 17th feels rather bunched into a small space.

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Not 1April any longer. From EG Website

As of 1st October 2022, through to 30th April 2023 (inclusive), preferred lies in a part of the general area cut to fairway height or less are permissible. Should a club require any extension to the preferred lies period, they are to seek approval from their County, who would look at things on a case-by-case basis.

When I first started playing 50 years ago it was always 1st April when the Summer golf season started, I've been saying for years that our calendar needs to gain a month, as our Winters last a month longer and Summers now seem to go well into November ;)

sunshine

Visit site
Yeah that's the one. 'Ridiculous canyon' rather than 'big dip' in my opinion. Ha.

I didn't realise that, I've seen the green there between the 2nd and 3rd holes (as I know them) but never seen it in use - my mate said they used it once as a temporary hole when a different hole was shut. That green has essentially green over now though. That does also explain why the 17th feels rather bunched into a small space.

The 17th tee today used to be the 18th tee, so the 18th hole was longer and less squeezed in.
You've seen the space between the 2nd and 3rd is tiny, the old 3rd was a pitch and putt hole really, well under 100 yards.

Just looked at the scorecard and I noticed the slope index off the reds is 101. That's got to be about the lowest slope in the country!

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Email just through..our WR extended until April 30th..
Same here. I was talking to one of our greens keepers this morning and it would seem that we won’t be coming off the winter mats any time soon either. I have almost forgotten what it feels like to push a wooden tee into the grass. 😮‍💨

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looks like this could be my only golf for another week or so. At least I should be good from inside 6 feet, as long as they are dead straight putts. IMG_2764.jpeg

Ando

Visit site
Someone clearly out using the course as a practice ground yesterday; clusters of 8 or so unrepaired divots next to 150 and 100 markers on two holes, with similar clusters 10 yards behind and Infront of those too (the divots to be seen lying on the fairway 10/12 yards Infront of each battered area). The greens on those two holes also had many more unrepaired pitch marks than others as well.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Someone clearly out using the course as a practice ground yesterday; clusters of 8 or so unrepaired divots next to 150 and 100 markers on two holes, with similar clusters 10 yards behind and Infront of those too (the divots to be seen lying on the fairway 10/12 yards Infront of each battered area). The greens on those two holes also had many more unrepaired pitch marks than others as well.
Someone needs a good hiding.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same here. I was talking to one of our greens keepers this morning and it would seem that we won’t be coming off the winter mats any time soon either. I have almost forgotten what it feels like to push a wooden tee into the grass. 😮‍💨

Think it was beefs podcast that rightly pointed out who exactly designs the tee matts that number one purpose is to be used as a tee .. yet you can't get a tee in them

sunshine

Visit site
Inaccurate sizing.

I have a pair of 32W Puma golf trousers that are about 8 years old and don't really fit me any more. I used to be a 32 waist, I'm fatter now, I've accepted that I'm now 34.

Just bought a pair of 34W Puma golf trousers and they are massive, I need to replace them for a 32. I understand that people are getting bigger, so a "medium" size may now be larger, but the number 32 is supposed to be a measurement not a subjective estimate. Who are they trying to kid?