Golf Random Irritations

D

Deleted member 15344

How does that impact comps, will they be qualifiers? Our place will be the same I imagine and I’m wondering if the scores will count for my handicap.

England Golf allow clubs to extend preferred lies until the end of April and still have Q cards , anything beyond that needs county approval.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just irritating me that I don’t 100% know this…but in a match I’m down dormie 4; I’ve played three and my opponent is a foot away in two; I pick his ball up and congratulate him. Have I lost 4/3 or 5/3? Let’s say that the actual score matters.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just irritating me that I don’t 100% know this…but in a match I’m down dormie 4; I’ve played three and my opponent is a foot away in two; I pick his ball up and congratulate him. Have I lost 4/3 or 5/3? Let’s say that the actual score matters.
You've conceded that hole which then determines the outcome of the match...so you lost 5&3.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
You haven't said if your 3 is in the hole or not. By picking his ball you give that putt IMO.

D

Deleted member 31467

Two guys have raised the issue at my club that using winter mats is an alignment aid as we sell the plastic backed hard ones and they have straight edges. I see where they are coming from, could get interesting.

D

Deleted member 31467

Sounds to me like they just don't like winter mats.
One definitely doesn't, the other guy isn't too fussed one way or the other but he runs the midweek rollup and is quite a stickler for fairness for all. We have just come off compulsory mats and they are now optional so some will abuse it while others won't.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course is closed today and tomorrow. Wondering whether to try and book a game elsewhere or just not bother. Weekend will be boring without it though. :(

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
My course is closed today and tomorrow. Wondering whether to try and book a game elsewhere or just not bother. Weekend will be boring without it though. :(

youll want to travel a bit if youre going to, not going to be many "dry" courses in your area after the rain this week and the majority being on clay. Royston? Chiltern Forest?

and those that are open are going to be busy!

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
youll want to travel a bit if youre going to, not going to be many "dry" courses in your area after the rain this week and the majority being on clay. Royston? Chiltern Forest?

Sandy Lodge? That's the only course in the area that isn't on clay AFAIK.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Chiltern has been closed..not sure if it still is..
We're open Carry only, although that may change tomorrow.
Medal tomorrow so no visitors until 2.30 I believe....

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I understand why people get irritated when courses are regularly closed owing to wet weather. But believe me, I am equally irritated that ours remains open!!

It is now ridiculously wet underfoot, despite being by some distance the best draining course for miles around. If they don’t close the course, there are at least three holes on the back nine which they could/should close as they are waterlogged. They are close together so closing them would cause no issues.

But, no, they remain open. Not only that, but they are allowing buggies out. Go figure.

D

Deleted member 15344

Was a bit of a shock this morning to find out we were open

Decided to carry as it was trolleys only on the paths on the back 9

Was surprised at how dry it was on the front 9 , the ripe drainage doing the business keeping the greens dry

Back 9 we have 3 bad spots on the fairways hence why trolleys must stick to paths

Well clearly that didn’t include the swindle of retired teachers behind us who ignored that taking trolleys wherever they want through the fairways etc ( at the same time as doing their weekly hold up the whole course ) . Asked them politely the first time to move their trolleys to the paths to be told “it’s miles away from my ball” - some clearly just don’t care.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

We didn't really think it through that much. I just booked Stockley Park for tomorrow as it's local-ish and doesn't cost too much. Managed to grab a 10:30 time and it was empty after 11 so hopefully not mad busy. Sun's out tomorrow anyway so fingers crossed for a nice round.