Frilford Heath, Red Course

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am playing the Titleist qualifier at Frilford Heath on Monday. Having never played there before are there any holes that need particular attention, or is it a case of what you see is what you get? Any top tips would be very helpful.

D

Deleted member 15344

Played there in the back to Black a couple weeks ago

It’s a tough course with big greens and some very nasty pin positions , it’s not that tight of the tee but the par 3’s are a challenge.
Its all about the putting and short game there and if it’s a northern wind it’s going to help on some of the tougher par 4’s -‘especially 8 which is a tough one ( keep right side of the fairway )

The fairways were very Patchy because of the drought but greens superb

Enjoy it , it’s a course I like.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice track, not as easy off the tee as Phil makes out (but then he does drive it a lot straighter than me!), greens are usually excellent , keep it below the hole if you can (albeit they shouldnt be too quick end of October)

Play well

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I wouldn’t rush back to play it despite the greens being absolute lightning when I played there the day after the European tour qualifying. Too many samey holes for my liking.

D

Deleted member 15344

I wouldn’t rush back to play it despite the greens being absolute lightning when I played there the day after the European tour qualifying. Too many samey holes for my liking.
Umm that’s because you prob kept hitting the same fairway regardless of what tee you were on 😂

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Take the lightest putter you can find, cut 8 inches off it, cut the heel and toe off your putter then tickle it at every hole.

Fastest greens Ive ever played without frost on them.

D

Deleted member 15717

Played there in the back to Black a couple weeks ago

It’s a tough course with big greens and some very nasty pin positions , it’s not that tight of the tee but the par 3’s are a challenge.
Its all about the putting and short game there and if it’s a northern wind it’s going to help on some of the tougher par 4’s -‘especially 8 which is a tough one ( keep right side of the fairway )

The fairways were very Patchy because of the drought but greens superb

Enjoy it , it’s a course I like.

I was due to play in it but had to pull out the day before with injury...wasn’t happy! Will sign up for next year thiugh

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far, I like fast greens (as long as they are true) so I'm hoping to do well. Looking at the scores for the last few years it seems that if I can play to handicap I might qualify.
Are the fairways as wide as Liphook?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not as dog-leggy as LipHook Steve & you can pretty much see where you're going with what's in front of you...… but yes the greens were fast.... but true. It was preferred-lies but in places you'd struggle to get somewhere within 6" to set it up so a mat may be useful if you're used to them. Good luck & play well (y)(y)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I enjoyed the course. Thought it was very much a 'middle of the green' course and not one to go firing at flags as you could leave yourself some horrible up and downs. If your off the tips then just use your shots. Bogey is a good score on some of the holes, esp if they are playing long into the wind.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well I played like a man with no arms and failed miserably when a steady game to handicap would have qualified easily. Greens were excellent and I putted well but had trouble with my approach shots on the first 6 holes and was playing catch-up after that. Not sure how the course is rated so high as I found the first 8 holes pretty boring and samey. There is always next year:)

kevingopher

Medal Winner
Visit site
I can't help agree with what your saying about the course. I got through to the final this year also, but decided last minute that I just couldn't be bothered to drag myself 4 hours across the country to play there, having played their in the same final a few years back. That said I have been lucky enough to have been drawn away to Dawlish Warren, Teignmouth and St Mellion for free this year, which certainly makes the entry worthwhile and will ensure I enter again next year.