Find What Works For You

• Thread starter Deleted member 21445
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21445

I am returning to the game after a 10 year break from the game.

My enthusiasm has returned and I cant wait to get my handicap and get cracking again.

I formerly played to a top amatuer standard at a championship golf course.
My ambitions for this stage of my golfing adventure are very different, although my competitive nature wants to get as low a handicap as possible.
I do now have restricted time to play due to family and work.

Back then I would say I had pretty decent mechanics in my swing , set up & alignment.

Upon my return I was striking it well straight away but struggling for any consistency of flight & direction.

Having played around a little bit trying things I started to stand open and it felt better and strangely I was hitting a soft draw.
I then started to stand very open and it started to feel very very good with me now virtually taking the right hand side of the course out of play (Less to worry about)
All I feel I have to do now is commit to hitting right through the shot and I hit a consistent draw and flight.
Keeping it very simple, Many times I see players tying themselves up in knotts with too many thoughts and mechanics in their heads

Feeling that this goes against what my head tells me should be happening I booked a lesson with my old teacher.

I was hitting the ball so well and consistently during the lesson that he didnt even try to get me to return to the more conventional set up that I had before.
He tweaked my grip and gave me a takeaway drill but that was about it.
He said that although my set up was very different the plane and path of my swing was great and I was repeating it so stick with it.

As he said that kind of method worked for Fred Couples so why not.

Ive been doing this for 4 weeks now and I have played very well posting some really nice gross scores at my new course as my confidence grows.

So I guess what im trying to say is YES try to get your mechanics as conventional as you can, its the right thing to do for sure but if it aint working dont be afraid to try other things as you may just stumble upon something that works for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi BigDraw, as a naturally talented feel player with clubs from the 80s, you are officially the forum pariah.

:)

Hope you're glad you came back, may I ask why the 10 year hiatus? If personal/work reasons please don't answer! But if it was golf-related by all means it'd be interesting to know what makes someone playing at the top amatuer level walk away.

Cool that you can see your old coach too, I like his thinking, if it ain't broke and all that.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Preaching to the choir here :D

You must have had an excellent understanding of the game so I guess it's a matter of getting back into good, old habits? A nice, relatively consistent soft draw should ease you back in nicely!

It's tough being an amateur simply because golf is a small part of our lives (it doesn't pay the bills, to be blunt) and I've said for a while it's about maximising the time we have available and not worrying too much about getting all the details spot on. This allied to only basic expectations is the simplest way to enjoy yourself I reckon..

D

Deleted member 21445

Hi BigDraw, as a naturally talented feel player with clubs from the 80s, you are officially the forum pariah.

:)

Hope you're glad you came back, may I ask why the 10 year hiatus? If personal/work reasons please don't answer! But if it was golf-related by all means it'd be interesting to know what makes someone playing at the top amatuer level walk away.

Cool that you can see your old coach too, I like his thinking, if it ain't broke and all that.

I had stopped enjoying it as much and was just after a new challenge and tried another sport.
Really enjoying being back at it even in this terrible weather.

D

Deleted member 21445

Preaching to the choir here :D

You must have had an excellent understanding of the game so I guess it's a matter of getting back into good, old habits? A nice, relatively consistent soft draw should ease you back in nicely!

It's tough being an amateur simply because golf is a small part of our lives (it doesn't pay the bills, to be blunt) and I've said for a while it's about maximising the time we have available and not worrying too much about getting all the details spot on. This allied to only basic expectations is the simplest way to enjoy yourself I reckon..

Sorry didnt mean it to come across that way.

I just find it interesting because 10+ years ago I wouldn't have dreamt of doing it this way...but it works and it feels like I can really trust it when I need too

D

Deleted Member 1156

I formerly played to a top amatuer standard at a championship golf course.

You were in the top 50 lowest handicappers at a course that has hosted the Trilby Tour? :eek:

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Watched a video of tiger woods at a golf clinic saying exactly this...

If it works, keep doing it. If it doesn't, try something else.

Posted it before but will stick it up again later tonight for those that want to see it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had stopped enjoying it as much and was just after a new challenge and tried another sport.
Really enjoying being back at it even in this terrible weather.

Out of interest, what was your HC when you played the British amateur? just wondered. As the standard of amateur elite golf is lightyears ahead of where it used to be. You wont even get a sniff in these events unless your off approx +2 now.

D

Deleted member 21445

Out of interest, what was your HC when you played the British amateur? just wondered. As the standard of amateur elite golf is lightyears ahead of where it used to be. You wont even get a sniff in these events unless your off approx +2 now.

SCR +0.3 was the lowest I entered with which just got me in the British back in the mid 90s

That easily got you in the Lytham Trophy, English Matchplay and Brabazon Trophy back then.

Standard of player and equipment has changed a lot since then.

D

Deleted member 21445

Watched a video of tiger woods at a golf clinic saying exactly this...

If it works, keep doing it. If it doesn't, try something else.

Posted it before but will stick it up again later tonight for those that want to see it.

I probably should have simplified the post to that one line.

Be interested to see it

D

Deleted Member 1156

Standard of player and equipment has changed a lot since then.

Certainly has, so has the handicapping system whereby scratch players had to play a certain number of events at away courses to maintain their handicaps. There is an old boy at my club who proudly tells people how he played off scratch at a time when there were only about 70 off scratch or better in the country.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Certainly has, so has the handicapping system whereby scratch players had to play a certain number of events at away courses to maintain their handicaps. There is an old boy at my club who proudly tells people how he played off scratch at a time when there were only about 70 off scratch or better in the country.

that's longer than 10 years ago isn't it?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I probably should have simplified the post to that one line.

Be interested to see it

He doesn't say exactly that but that is the sentiment.

[video=youtube;yzJj4tT6Qf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzJj4tT6Qf0&list=PL289B32474B58D451&index=6[/video]