My Swing Speed Journey

Springveldt

Visit site
Forgot to update yesterday but the best thing I can say about the session is that I did it.

Had to swing up the drive (drive is on an incline) to make sure I was swinging away from the cars and it was directly into the teeth of a pretty strong wind. Speeds were down (g 120, b 115, r 113, final green 124).

Not sure if swinging into the wind affected the speeds but it did blow away 2 of my clubs twice and it blew the swing speed radar down the drive 3 times as well.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nearly finished 2nd sessions with Stack. But disappointingly stalled on 102mph for the last 2 months.

Do seem to have been making better progress with just a couple of range sessions with the driver per week. Or maybe I was close to my ceiling anyway when I started Stack in December. It certainly appears it has either given me nothing, or is the cause of my stalling. Hard to say. Maybe 3.5 sessions a week is too intensive.

Anyway, going to park it for the moment and just go range with balls for the season like I did last year. Still pushing though. Will reconsider Stack again in the Autumn. Still 5mph faster than I was last summer. Expect it to be worth a couple of shots improvement on the hc.

Springveldt

Visit site
Was meant to do a session today but it's rained non-stop since 8:30am this morning that I didn't get a chance to. Hopefully the weather is better tomorrow.

Springveldt

Visit site
So life was getting in the way again but I managed to get a session in tonight. Had to do them on my front path in the dark (started at 19:45) with the dining room light on so I could see the radar.

G 119, B 118, R 116 then final green at 124.

Bought a Fitbit this week and my heart rate peaked at 154bpm so got a bit of a workout in as well.

FormerBigDaddy

Visit site
Hello all, new member here. I've posted for awhile on another golf forum but the speed training thread has gone kind of dead and I see that this one is still pretty active. A little about me... I'm 41 years old and about a 6 HC. I've been doing the superspeed sticks very consistently Since December of 2022 and completed all of the protocols last June of 2023. Since then I've been doing a modified program 2 days a week (52 swings each session) and it's going well. Not really gaining speed anymore but I still feel like I could gain 1-2 MPH and my numbers are very consistent. Anyways, I wanted to share my results b/c I've had a great experience with the program. I use the PRGR Black for SS.

Training Session 1 - 12/17/22: Green 118, Blue 113, Red 107
Training Session 136 - 4/1/24: Green 131, Blue 126, Red 121

PR's: Green 133, Blue 127, Red 121
Those were set in the last few weeks!

Not really sure exactly what my starting driver speed was (while hitting a ball), but I think it was about 104. These days a average 112-113 at the end of a speed session. Last spring/summer I was at about 110 on course and I think I'm 1-2 mph faster this year. In addition, I do train in the gym 2-3 days a week with pretty high intensity. About a year ago I added some more golf specific moves (cable rotations, stretches) within my program. I sort of feel like I'm pretty maxed out as far as what I can do physically at my age and any improvement left on the table is probably through technique. One thing I learned last year was that you really do have to be careful with how you schedule your training and workouts. Last spring I actually got slower bc I wasn't giving myself enough rest after a gym session. I've seen much better results in the last 8 months if I go in to a speed training session with a day of rest from my lifts.

Anyways, if anyone has questions feel free to ask!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hello all, new member here. I've posted for awhile on another golf forum but the speed training thread has gone kind of dead and I see that this one is still pretty active. A little about me... I'm 41 years old and about a 6 HC. I've been doing the superspeed sticks very consistently Since December of 2022 and completed all of the protocols last June of 2023. Since then I've been doing a modified program 2 days a week (52 swings each session) and it's going well. Not really gaining speed anymore but I still feel like I could gain 1-2 MPH and my numbers are very consistent. Anyways, I wanted to share my results b/c I've had a great experience with the program. I use the PRGR Black for SS.

Training Session 1 - 12/17/22: Green 118, Blue 113, Red 107
Training Session 136 - 4/1/24: Green 131, Blue 126, Red 121

PR's: Green 133, Blue 127, Red 121
Those were set in the last few weeks!

Not really sure exactly what my starting driver speed was (while hitting a ball), but I think it was about 104. These days a average 112-113 at the end of a speed session. Last spring/summer I was at about 110 on course and I think I'm 1-2 mph faster this year. In addition, I do train in the gym 2-3 days a week with pretty high intensity. About a year ago I added some more golf specific moves (cable rotations, stretches) within my program. I sort of feel like I'm pretty maxed out as far as what I can do physically at my age and any improvement left on the table is probably through technique. One thing I learned last year was that you really do have to be careful with how you schedule your training and workouts. Last spring I actually got slower bc I wasn't giving myself enough rest after a gym session. I've seen much better results in the last 8 months if I go in to a speed training session with a day of rest from my lifts.

Anyways, if anyone has questions feel free to ask!
Very interesting, thanks.
Gym is not a stage I have gone. Yet.
Would you say it makes a difference or is the speed training itself the real lever ? Were you a gym person anyway, or is it with golf speed in mind ?

FormerBigDaddy

Visit site
I would say that everyone will see an increase in swing speed through just doing speed training. What it actually does is train your central nervous system to move faster and doesn't have anything to do with getting stronger or more flexible. Which is why you can see results REALLY quickly but it take time to make those changes more permanent. If you stop doing speed training completely your speeds will drop back down over time due to your CNS. In my opinion speed training is VERY SIMILAR to strength training. Anyone who's ever lifted weights for a period of time knows you see a massive increase in strength in the first 6 weeks or so. This is for the exact same reason... you central nervous system is actually adapting to the imposed demands and it's really not your muscles that are growing and getting stronger. You are just unlocking your potential. Speed training works very much the same way. Big jumps early and then it takes work to make those gains stick and it takes even more work and dedication to see more gains after the first month or two.

As far as combining gym workouts with speed training, I absolutely do believe you will see even more gains if you do both. There's a reason why serious golfers do resistance training workouts, speed training, and mobility/flexibility routines in conjunction with each other. Adding more baseline strength will allow you to not only create more force and speed, but handle that speed with less chance of injury. Our CNS is very smart... it basically acts like a limiter/governor and will try it's best to keep us from doing things that will injure ourselves. Adding strength and flexibility will only raise the limits for speed training. So in summary, if you want to unlock your absolute full potential with speed training you should hit the weight room and stretch. I think there is also something to be said for cardio... having good cardiovascular health allows you to recover faster between sets. If you're gassed when starting your next set I promise your leaving speed on the table and wasting reps. Speed training is all about creating absolute MAX speeds on EVERY REP. It's just like lifting HEAVY with LOW REPS. You have to be recovered to max out! Think of every swing as a 1 rep max! Resistance training will definitely make you faster and I have no doubt that I didn't gain over 10mph at 40+ years old from just speed training alone!

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
For all you guys using speed training tools, does it readily convert to the course?

I'm 59, fairly fit and I know can swing faster than I do on the tee, proven by testing inside with GC Quad, but when I stand on the tee with the risk of a bad outcome, I am more focussed and feel I swing at maybe 85-90%. I get that training might mean my 85% is faster than it was, but do you really feel the speed achieved is transferred to your tee shots or does that element of caution come into play?

FormerBigDaddy

Visit site
For all you guys using speed training tools, does it readily convert to the course?

I'm 59, fairly fit and I know can swing faster than I do on the tee, proven by testing inside with GC Quad, but when I stand on the tee with the risk of a bad outcome, I am more focussed and feel I swing at maybe 85-90%. I get that training might mean my 85% is faster than it was, but do you really feel the speed achieved is transferred to your tee shots or does that element of caution come into play?
There’s absolutely no doubt that it translates to the course. I don’t feel like I’m swinging any harder than I did 16 months ago but now my 85% swing goes 20yds further. Combine that with the fact that I’m 1 club longer with my irons I’m now hitting 3 clubs less into greens on my home course than I did before I started speed training.

For example, on a 430yd hole before I might have 155 in and be hitting an 7 iron in, now I have 135 in and hitting a PW. I’d rather have PW from the rough every day over 7 iron from the middle of the fairway. Not to mention the satisfaction of blowing it by your playing partners.

Even if you misses are marginally bigger (not my experience) being 20 yds closer to the hole and hitting my irons further far outweighs the potential of a slightly bigger miss.

You won’t regret it.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It most certainly does. Doubt I swing on the course, with driver at least, at the speed I push at the range. Nevertheless, putting drives out distances I had never experienced before. 2 clubs lower into greens. Its a very striking (😉) experience to see the same golf course but in a very different light effectively.

FormerBigDaddy

Visit site
Training session 137 was interesting yesterday.

132 Green, 125 Blue, 119 red.

I've only gotten it over 130 on green a few times and to get it to 132 is big, but couldn't get that red stick moving very well. Hit driver at 115 once and 114 a few times at the end while hitting a ball which is above my average. Overall good day but I want to get that red number up over 120 consistently but it doesn't want to!

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There’s absolutely no doubt that it translates to the course. I don’t feel like I’m swinging any harder than I did 16 months ago but now my 85% swing goes 20yds further. Combine that with the fact that I’m 1 club longer with my irons I’m now hitting 3 clubs less into greens on my home course than I did before I started speed training.

For example, on a 430yd hole before I might have 155 in and be hitting an 7 iron in, now I have 135 in and hitting a PW. I’d rather have PW from the rough every day over 7 iron from the middle of the fairway. Not to mention the satisfaction of blowing it by your playing partners.

Even if you misses are marginally bigger (not my experience) being 20 yds closer to the hole and hitting my irons further far outweighs the potential of a slightly bigger miss.

You won’t regret it.
But has it made a difference to your scoring? Distance is fine but I’ve yet to see it on a scorecard 🤪

FormerBigDaddy

Visit site
But has it made a difference to your scoring? Distance is fine but I’ve yet to see it on a scorecard 🤪
My career low happened last season and my handicap dropped 3 strokes. I did not practice any more than I did before and I got no lessons. So yeah... and i'm 1-2mph faster this year so I'll let you know more later! Ask Matt Fitzpatrick or Bryson if it worked on the course for them! Also, speed training does absolute wonders for your weight shift, transition, and sequencing.

Last edited:

D-S

Visit site
My career low happened last season and my handicap dropped 3 strokes. I did not practice any more than I did before and I got no lessons. So yeah... and i'm 1-2mph faster this year so I'll let you know more later! Ask Matt Fitzpatrick or Bryson if it worked on the course for them! Also, speed training does absolute wonders for your weight shift, transition, and
Interesting to hear Oliver Wilson’s view of this process and how it effected his iron striking.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Absolutely has made a difference to my scorecard. Over the winter I had 3 rounds in low 80s and also shot a 79 at my home course for the first time ever - my index is 14.2 currently.

Distance wise, my smooth swings are definitely up and aligned with some training drills I'm doing my ball striking is the best it's ever been. My playing partners last week were commenting on how much they could hear the compression with my irons.

Training wise, I've had a recurrence of an old wrist injury which has just hampered my training this past week - actually injured it carrying my DJ equipment which is rather annoying.

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
Nearly finished 2nd sessions with Stack. But disappointingly stalled on 102mph for the last 2 months.

Do seem to have been making better progress with just a couple of range sessions with the driver per week. Or maybe I was close to my ceiling anyway when I started Stack in December. It certainly appears it has either given me nothing, or is the cause of my stalling. Hard to say. Maybe 3.5 sessions a week is too intensive.

Anyway, going to park it for the moment and just go range with balls for the season like I did last year. Still pushing though. Will reconsider Stack again in the Autumn. Still 5mph faster than I was last summer. Expect it to be worth a couple of shots improvement on the hc.
Anyone else do the Stack? I've also stalled.. on about 101 mph but still on the Foundation Course.

I don't do any swing training or weights.. I guess that is essential to increase speed.. doh.

I'd be interested to hear about others Stack experiences..

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Anyone else do the Stack? I've also stalled.. on about 101 mph but still on the Foundation Course.

I don't do any swing training or weights.. I guess that is essential to increase speed.. doh.

I'd be interested to hear about others Stack experiences..
Progress is never linear, there's always peaks and troughs. Keep going and at some point you'll breakthrough that barrier and move onwards and upwards. I've seen this with my own training.

FormerBigDaddy

Visit site
I obviously don't do stack, but I definitely saw my progress slow to a crawl last year about 3 months into the program. What I have noticed in the time since then is that I have become extremely consistent. My numbers are almost ALWAYS within 1mph of each other on every drill from session to session and week to week. I also feel like I am able to hit my top speeds earlier in the session. Up until maybe 6 months ago my first set of green swings was always up to 5 mph slower than the finishing set of green. Now I'm almost always within 1 mph of my max on my very first set. I do suspect that is possibly due to the fact that I've really dialed in my warm up prior to my first set over the last 6 months as well. My advice is to continue to push as hard as you can each session but don't also be afraid to experiment with different feels. I'm like 16 months into consistent speed training and I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing different on days I'm at my fastest. I take even take notes on those days to try to replicate it. I've also tried to have an idea of schedule wise when my body is primed to be at max speed. Meaning good rest/recovery from the day/night before to even my diet.

Session 138 yesterday

Green 131 - Blue 125 - Red 120 - Driver (with contact) 115

All I really want is to be able to hit 131/127/123 consistently. I've hit the green and blue numbers but have only hit 121 on red 3 times ever, but all 3 have been in 2024 so I guess that's good.

Keep swinging yall!