My Swing Speed Journey

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Went to the range earlier, end of the session I was hitting driver and got some good readings, the last two I used premium balls and the jump in carry was very encouraging and alarming that the range balls are that different!

20240228-173125.jpg
20240228-173132.jpg

20240228-173120.jpg
20240228-173107.jpg
20240228-173115.jpg
What were you in November mate?

D

Deleted member 35504

I've just read all of this, good reading (y)

One question from me which I won't sugar-coat, are there now any cheaper options than the £150 - £200 speed sticks? Having said that, £369 for a PRGR and a set of sticks as a bundle is ok.

abjectplop

Hacker
Visit site

One question from me which I won't sugar-coat, are there now any cheaper options than the £150 - £200 speed sticks? Having said that, £369 for a PRGR and a set of sticks as a bundle is ok.

I've been using the Relentless Golf stick (with interchangeable weights) since January which is £69.99 on Amazon. Their website has a dedicated program and videos. Can't recommend it highly enough and I'm pretty sure it does everything that the £200 sticks do. My results have been really good, consistently trending upwards.

D

Deleted member 35504

I've been using the Relentless Golf stick (with interchangeable weights) since January which is £69.99 on Amazon. Their website has a dedicated program and videos. Can't recommend it highly enough and I'm pretty sure it does everything that the £200 sticks do. My results have been really good, consistently trending upwards.
Thanks.
Definitely on the cards this spring, I like the idea of one club with changeable weights.

Springveldt

Visit site

I bought my Superspeed set off eBay years ago now, got the sticks and the blue swing speed radar for £200 all in. Might be worth keeping an eye out on there. Was like new when they arrived, original packaging for everything.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site

The cheaper - and possibly just as good - option, is just to swing your driver.
The key is having the speed feedback, and trying to push the numbers so with the PRGR you have that.

3 months into Stack and making progress. But at the same rate as I was through 2023 when just using the driver.
You do need to be able to ignore ball outcome and swing out when doing your speed session, but if you can, I think actually swinging at a ball brings merit that a free stick does not. If you want to go for the underweight, an old driver you have around or £20 one, with unscrewable weights would do just as well. If you can remove 20g or 30g, that seems to be the sweet spot for that overspeed feeling. Am just one case, but a bunch of people in the industry saying similar : bebettergolf had a long drive guy suggesting just that, and heard a podcast a while back with Oliver Wilson saying it did it with his driver. 2-3 sessions a week, 30-40 swings/balls, probably does as good as anything.

Springveldt

Visit site
The back garden looks to be finally drying out a touch but still too wet so on the driveway again. I did noticed a couple of neighbours giving me funny looks.

G 123, B 122, R 117 then final green 130. Pretty happy with the session.

D

Deleted member 35504

The cheaper - and possibly just as good - option, is just to swing your driver.
The key is having the speed feedback, and trying to push the numbers so with the PRGR you have that.

3 months into Stack and making progress. But at the same rate as I was through 2023 when just using the driver.
You do need to be able to ignore ball outcome and swing out when doing your speed session, but if you can, I think actually swinging at a ball brings merit that a free stick does not. If you want to go for the underweight, an old driver you have around or £20 one, with unscrewable weights would do just as well. If you can remove 20g or 30g, that seems to be the sweet spot for that overspeed feeling. Am just one case, but a bunch of people in the industry saying similar : bebettergolf had a long drive guy suggesting just that, and heard a podcast a while back with Oliver Wilson saying it did it with his driver. 2-3 sessions a week, 30-40 swings/balls, probably does as good as anything.
Yes.
Without knowing the science, and without doing any speed training previously, it would seem logical to me that doing the training with an actual driver would bring similar results to doing it with a very similar object of similar weight.

But I haven't studied it at all so no idea really.

BridgfordBlue

Visit site
Did some speed training last week as part of our parents group lesson last week. Not sure on the club speed but my starting point with the driver was 150mph ball speed and got up to 160 going all out.

I wasn’t actually seeing that much distance gain though, I’m assuming due to attack angle and spin etc. Does anyone know what good carry/total distances should be for those speeds?

Got a feeling I need to work more on efficiently delivering the club rather than speed as such.

Springveldt

Visit site
Did some speed training last week as part of our parents group lesson last week. Not sure on the club speed but my starting point with the driver was 150mph ball speed and got up to 160 going all out.

I wasn’t actually seeing that much distance gain though, I’m assuming due to attack angle and spin etc. Does anyone know what good carry/total distances should be for those speeds?

Got a feeling I need to work more on efficiently delivering the club rather than speed as such.
I'd expect 150mph ball speed to get you around 250 yard carry and 160mph to get you around 270 on well struck shots.

Springveldt

Visit site
More rain today again so another session on the driveway with wet tarmac. A bit slower today, maybe due to the wet conditions but speeds were G 122, B 120, R 114 then final green at 126. Just need to keep plugging away.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Back at it this evening, finally!

Pleased to say that after a 5 week break my baseline test came out at 111mph. Will try and get a reading with my driver over the next couple of days as well but I'm feeling good!

Springveldt

Visit site
What are you using to measure your speed?
The same device I always have. Superspeed used to sell them a while ago before switching to selling the PRGR.

Just a basic Doppler radar that measures swing speed and nothing else.

My swing speed looks high but that’s with the superspeed sticks. Today my fastest was 126mph with the light one (green) for reference I’ve seen Jon Rahm swing it at 144mph with the same radar device, so a like for like comparison.