Electric trolley

stevenk

Hacker
Visit site
Hi thinking about replacing my ancient push trolley with an electric one, is it worth it or just a gimmick.
If its worth it then anything i should look at E.G gps etc or just a basic trolley. Does a electrictrolley make it any easier . Any thoughts please

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
On a hilly course yes, electric is easier. However, when mine died I replaced it with a clicgear. Much easier to maintain than electric and nothing much to go wrong.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Mine makes it easier for me to play I have a basic power caddy but I have been looking at motor caddy they seem to be a much better build quality.

oxymoron

Club Champion
Visit site
If you play on various courses in lots of different weather conditions then an electric trolly will take the work out of getting around & allow you to concentrate on the golf. IMO the best value trolley is a GoKart automatic.

As stated above , the electric will make a round easier on your body less effort pushing\pulling so less aches at the end . I recently got the GoKart manual , really good bit of kit and outstanding value imo.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It depends a bit on the courses you play if you play generally on very flat firm closely mown courses you will notice far less of a difference than on hilly softer shaggier courses. I have a basic electric trolley which works very well. I dont know about GPS I find the standard watches/ handhelds work very well, and have one so I wouldn't pay extra for it in the trolley, especially as I don't always take my trolley to the ball but if I had a good one onthe trolley I might use it instead.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I couldn't believe how less tired I felt after first using an electric trolley, wouldn't be without it. I've got a remote control. Not everyone's cup of tea but I love it. The handle of a trolley never seems to be the correct height & it's great not to have to steer it everywhere. I can navigate with both hands in my pockets.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Definitely worth it IMHO. The Go Karts just don't do it for me, although they seem popular on here I'm sure for good reason.

In my experience:

You don't need all the bells and whistles - they add significantly to the cost.​
18 hole lithium battery is fine for two rounds... unless you play in the Himalayas?​
Get one of the compact models - I neglected this last time and regret it.​

I think Motocaddy is British company as well? So that may sway any decision between the big two. You can get Hot Mitts for the Motocaddy - useful in winter :)

Edit: For my next trolley I think i'll try one with down hill control or braking - this could be useful although i've heard mixed opinions on this. The Motocaddy M1 DHC seems reasonable value (relatively) at the moment

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Ours is quite a hilly course and so an electric trolley is a boon for me. And, given the vagaries of Scottish weather, I can carry enough gear to suit all climates with no pressure on me.
I have a GoKart Mk.1, 10 years+ old and still going strong. For me it's nice and simple. On/Off switch and no fancy electronics to go wrong. I've no plans to replace it as it still works very well, but if I did so, I would probably replace it with another GoKart.
As well as the "Big Two" of Powakaddy and Motocaddy, there are a number of other brands you could consider such as Golfstream, Powerbug, Greenhill, and GoKart.
The only comment I would add is not to scrimp on the battery. Go for Lithium. It's lighter, last longer and charges faster than the traditional batteries.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Electric all day long for me. Although I’ve never had a push trolley to compare to, it’s so convenient having the motor.
Just silly little things like you’ve played last from the tee you can hit the button and put the headcover back on while you’re walking next to your trolley.

The only gadget that I wouldn’t want to be without is being able to send it off a preset distance. If your trolley wants to be left of the green for the next tee but your ball is on the right you can send it left from the front of the green and walk right, rather than leaving it at the front or taking your trolley left then walking to your ball.

If you have a hilly course the electric braking is very good, but not a necessity if you’re on a budget.

pwc

Visit site
Had a hillbilly terrain for last 10 years, but has finally given up - has been great though, still on original lead battery. Sounds like GoKart automatic is a good choice for replacement.

Tinkerman

Visit site
When the battery on my Go Kart finally stopped working a couple of months ago, I hired an electric trolley from the pro shop.
If you're not sure about them, see if you can hire one at the course to try it out.
Everyone I know who has switched to an electric trolley has said that they feel less tired later in the round which has saved them shots.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I wouldn't be without mine. On a course with no flat holes it's proved to be brilliant in stopping me from running out of puff by the 15th hole. I play golf to (try and) get better at golf, not to get fitter, and I found carrying wasn't doing my shoulders or game any good.
The GoKart is very good and I believe the latest model is an improvement on previous, the battery is smaller and easier to carry for starters.
However, I swapped for a Powakaddy CT6 because it's a good bit smaller and I can fit it plus a stand or cart bag in the boot of my A5, whereas it was a bit of a struggle with bigger trolleys. Plus work were paying for it, so a no-brainer.
If you play lots of different courses or in any conditions, built-in GPS can be useful when there's blind holes or it's foggy and the range finder won't pick out things (I don't have a watch, so rely on the range finder. However, I've discovered Bushnell have a gps app for the phone if you've got a rangefinder, which will prove useful), but I decided against it.

Albo

Visit site
Love my electric trolly that said ive just picked up a new one as Id ran my go kart one into the ground. Gokart were really good fixing battery 3 times no questions asked , but all in all it didnt last me as long as I perhaps thought it would ~4 years, but I do use it on average 4 times a week often 36 in a day so its had some miles put on it.
I tend to play a lot before work when the light alows or straight after usually course is quiet and the electric helps me get round quickly. Usually about 2 hours give or take. No way i'm keeping that pace up with a push one or carrying