Driving ranges?

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
My local range (World of Golf New Malden) sent an email round the other day saying they're opening up on Monday.

The bays are really big actually, couple of tight spots walking through the shop but should be ok.

Like others have said, baskets, dispensers and Topgolf screens are the things to be careful with.
That’s close to me, but I never drove through Kingston yet. For a reason.

It is supposed to be a great range. Is it busy? Very busy?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
My local range is still working on the 'logistics', shame as the pro i work with can't do anything. I asked if the short game area was open, so we could b book a lesson there but that's still not an option.

I must admit to taking some range balls once, the range i was using at the time did a happy hour ( that I didn't know about) where it was 2 for 1, so after the basket fill ed and balls kept chugging out, I filled my bag up with the excess and used them next time :rolleyes::whistle:

where is your local range?

carldudley

Visit site
That’s close to me, but I never drove through Kingston yet. For a reason.

It is supposed to be a great range. Is it busy? Very busy?

Its a very good range, bit pricey but i like it. Occasionally gets busy late afternoon and Sunday's. Even when there is a queue, you're not waiting more than 10mins.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Did you emulate teh Rick Shields video hitting 1000 balls? ;-)
Just the 60 that were already laid out on the range for each member to use. To be honest my back was sore after a dozen after 8 weeks of inactivity. Glad I didn't go straight onto the course but found something vaguely functional towards the end. Tee time booked for Saturday

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just the 60 that were already laid out on the range for each member to use. To be honest my back was sore after a dozen after 8 weeks of inactivity. Glad I didn't go straight onto the course but found something vaguely functional towards the end. Tee time booked for Saturday
Why didn't you use your garage supply of balls rather than the ones laid out for members who didn't have their own personal supply of pilfered balls? ?

sunshine

Visit site
We get free range balls to use on the practice area. Used to be able to use your own, but health and safety etc when picking them up got it banned.

There are plenty of balls. It's the baskets that go missing. Some people like to have one in their car in case there aren't any available. If everyone does this, they soon disappear. Especially if someone who has a basket takes it home, forgets to bring it, and bags another one. The club has bought way over 100 baskets, but there are only about 20 in circulation. You can buy your own, but people don't. We have been asked to dob in serial offenders, as it affects everyone, and is a real pain in the bottom to turn up and find there are no baskets.

Bell ends. I bet these were the same people panic buying all the loo rolls.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Just read the local range has temporarily removed the top tracers and all the tees, plus a contacless card reader for balls.
It didn't say if they've put the prices back to pre-top tracer rates, if they have then quite tempted.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Our range re-opens on Monday apparently - be good to hit some balls again.
Just checked all of the ranges in the area and Silvermere which is our biggest one within driving distance and they are all closed according to their sites. If there has been guidelines issued how difficult would it be for each range to comply seeing as most courses are open again with booking systems and those that have practice grounds have those open and procedures in place regarding cleaning the balls and baskets

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Just read the local range has temporarily removed the top tracers and all the tees, plus a contacless card reader for balls.
It didn't say if they've put the prices back to pre-top tracer rates, if they have then quite tempted.
Would you miss hitting balls for a few quid?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can say as I was there - we both were trying to find something resembling a swing.

Unfortunately I left before Homer so I can't say if he really did find anything resembling a swing! But he knows I didn't!!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can say as I was there - we both were trying to find something resembling a swing.

Unfortunately I left before Homer so I can't say if he really did find anything resembling a swing! But he knows I didn't!!!
Short answer....No

I did get a couple out of the middle but not sure the distance was that good. Putting it down to being short distance range balls. Not ideal preparation for the first round tomorrow but I've sticked up with extra balls in the golf bag and anyone following me may be able to find my waifs and strays.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Short answer....No

I did get a couple out of the middle but not sure the distance was that good. Putting it down to being short distance range balls. Not ideal preparation for the first round tomorrow but I've sticked up with extra balls in the golf bag and anyone following me may be able to find my waifs and strays.

it's always the balls fault!

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to our local range yesterday and they are doing a fantastic job with the current situation - hand sanitiser at the entrance, contact-less payment ball machine (member of staff presses the desired quantity button for you), all buckets sanitised at the end.

The range was taken over by a guy earlier in the year and has turned what was a very basic setup into something much better including a new bar (obviously out of use at the moment), more / better targets, small pro shop.

Was hoping to get a tee time at a local'ish course for today, but they are rarer than hen's teeth!
However, have got a tee time this afternoon at one course that is a 9 hole, nothing special place (Ivinghoe for those in the know) - cheap and cheerful!
Playing with my son who hasn't played for a year or more, really looking forward to some quality father-son time.