Driving ranges?

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My local range is still working on the 'logistics', shame as the pro i work with can't do anything. I asked if the short game area was open, so we could b book a lesson there but that's still not an option.

I must admit to taking some range balls once, the range i was using at the time did a happy hour ( that I didn't know about) where it was 2 for 1, so after the basket fill ed and balls kept chugging out, I filled my bag up with the excess and used them next time :rolleyes::whistle:
Range opens Monday, you have to book via proshop once you get there. Sanatiser as u go through doors and your only allowed in one bay and not allowed to touch/change the rubber tees.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just been down to my local range and was really impressed with their CV setup. Sanitiser as you go in, clear markings on the floor as you got served and plastic barrier to keep assistant safe. As you went in you told one assistant how many balls you wanted and she went and placed them in the bay whilst you paid, all card payments or your range account. When you finished, the basket was left in the bay and they sanitised it before it was used again. Hand sanitiser was also available on the way out along with wipes for your clubs if you wanted them. Very impressed

Mandofred

Visit site
Crap. Booked the practice ground for 8am (not allowed in car park until 15 minutes before playing/practicing)...when I showed up at 7:45 there was already one person hitting. After 20 minutes another person shows up. I packed up and came home. With an open field practice ground, I will share with one person...but not two others. I'm going to have a talk with the pro shop tomorrow (through the door, nobody gets in) I'll see if they will let me going back to my normal hours which at this time of year is about 6:30. I don't share well.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Went to my local range on Saturday -it was great.

Until Thursday it's the outdoor area only, which is actually good practice as it's pretty uneven and the grass isnt great! More realistic than hitting off mats! £5 for 75 balls, loads of space.

From Thursday the main range will be open, they're currently rejigging the layout to provide more space. All bays will have protracer screens, will be interesting to see how that's managed - I guess someone will be cleaning the screen after each person has used a bay. One person dishing out balls in sanitised baskets, one other sanitising the screens. We will see.....

Anyway, it's off to a good start in terms of being very responsible and sensitive to the current situation. The very worst thing any range could do right now is not take things seriously enough and it look like golf is abusing the opportunity to get going again

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Silvermere now opening again.
50 minute slots, 100 balls, £16

I understand they have to staff it for cleaning and loading balls, ... but that looks pricey.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I understand they have to staff it for cleaning and loading balls, ... but that looks pricey.
And you have to prebook and no slots at all for the weekend. Too overpriced though so won't bother. The one near me is open but not sure on the cost of balls as I got mine as part of the lesson yesterday. No pre-booking at this stage but will look at it if the range gets too busy.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site

They clarified the price on Facebook. They are running half capacity for a reduced day and have 3 staff attending it.

Too expensive for me, will use my range card once back to normal.
I still have a half hour lesson paid for but want to take that as short game lesson anyway.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Unsurprisingly they are about the only place still not open, needless to say it's owned by the shower that is Crown golf ?
Our crown golf range is open but I prefer(ed) to go to Silvermere.
Sunbury charges £7 for 90 balls and do 30 minute slots. I don’t think/expect you have to hit 90 balls in 30 minutes?

The reason I go to Silvermere are toptracer, better range ball and wide enough booths for me to hit a driver.

I heard talk about Sunbury upgrading their range, but that was before Covid so I don’t know if they still think about it.

Btw, Crown has just sold a handful of clubs, maybe your range was part of it.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Has anyone been to a Sandown Park?
Toptracer, 100 balls for £ 10 in an hour slot. Good availability, it seems.

I have driven past it on the way back from Silvermere on days I stop at Lidl, depending on traffic it is actually closer to me.

Chico84

Visit site
Has anyone been to a Sandown Park?
Toptracer, 100 balls for £ 10 in an hour slot. Good availability, it seems.

I have driven past it on the way back from Silvermere on days I stop at Lidl, depending on traffic it is actually closer to me.

I’ve not been since lockdown but a mate has and said it was fine there. You need to book I think though. The other aspect is there is a grass area available too - very rare for a larger range.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I’ve not been since lockdown but a mate has and said it was fine there. You need to book I think though. The other aspect is there is a grass area available too - very rare for a larger range.
Just looked at that as it isn't too far. Might bear that in mind to go down and use the grass area for some pitching work (currently bookable next weekend if anyone is interested)

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hope they open soo, I’m currently fashioning a device to carry a couple of clubs with me on my daily cycle commute so I can swing by the range on the way home.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Just looked at that as it isn't too far. Might bear that in mind to go down and use the grass area for some pitching work (currently bookable next weekend if anyone is interested)
I thought your club had a short game area?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I thought your club had a short game area?
We are usually allowed to chip onto the putting green but this is prohibited as golfers are using it to putt on prior to starting on the 1st and they are concerned about too many people congregating around the area. I can pitch on the practice ground, but limited to short sessions and a max of 60 balls whereas Sandown can book 1 hour slots and 100 balls.