Driving ranges?

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Im hoping EGU will clarify if driving ranges will be allowed to open. I cant see it happening myself and I saw in the US golf started before ranges did.

I was thinking last night that most ranges have ball washers, a mild disinfectant could be added to decontaminate the balls between uses.

A bit like what has already been announced, common sense says stay 2 meters apart and it shouldn't be a problem.

Just a bit of a Monday morning ramble....

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
My local one is opening on Wednesday...
They have quite a bit of space and will be using disinfectant and hand sanitizer.....
I just saw your comment on this in another thread..... Interesting...

Our range isn't enclosed in any way so I guess as long as social distancing can be maintained and people are sensible it could open.

Silvermere on the other hand is just down the road, given the enclosed nature it seems a far greater risk.

Chico84

Visit site
I can’t see how they can safely open when everyone needs to use ball dispensers, baskets, etc. Even if the range does reopen I think I’m more likely to go and play a round before I go to the range.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
I can’t see how they can safely open when everyone needs to use ball dispensers, baskets, etc. Even if the range does reopen I think I’m more likely to go and play a round before I go to the range.
Ball dispenser is contactless, balls are washed thoroughly, baskets can be sterilised. Don't you handle the basket at the supermarket?

Chico84

Visit site
Ball dispenser is contactless, balls are washed thoroughly, baskets can be sterilised. Don't you handle the basket at the supermarket?

You have to press buttons on the ball dispenser at my range to select number of balls. Fair point about the basket. Nonetheless, I’ll be giving it a miss for a while yet.

Siolag

Visit site
You have to press buttons on the ball dispenser at my range to select number of balls. Fair point about the basket. Nonetheless, I’ll be giving it a miss for a while yet.

This is where businesses need to adapt to survive/reopen.

Nothing to stop the range having the balls ready in the buckets for people coming, contactless payment and off you go.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Silvermere on the other hand is just down the road, given the enclosed nature it seems a far greater risk.
That’s the range I am using and I am watching their page for updates.

It is busy on a normal evening or weekend, I can’t see them going every 2nd bay only to generate distance, but the bays are big to begin with.
The lower tear with automatic ball tees I usually avoid, but I would prefer that at the time being, I think.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
My mate runs a range & expects to open in the next two weeks. There is already a screen between customer & staff member & contactless card payments are possible. The ball dispenser is contactless & it's possible to institute a one way system for going in & out.

I don't see a huge risk as long as you disinfect your hands a frequent intervals, especially when leaving. A lot less risky than going shopping, or to work.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The balls themselves should be fine. Where I play they will be sat out on the range for a lot of days, they are collected by machine and go in to a ball washer before being available for use.

DanFST

Head Pro
Visit site
You could just wipe it with sanitiser? Or carry to the bay then sanitise your hands.

People have had to deal with lift buttons this crisis too.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
That’s the range I am using and I am watching their page for updates.

It is busy on a normal evening or weekend, I can’t see them going every 2nd bay only to generate distance, but the bays are big to begin with.
The lower tear with automatic ball tees I usually avoid, but I would prefer that at the time being, I think.
Yeah me too, like you say the bays are spacious but my thinking was if Silvermere opens them my clubs driving range with free balls (for members) should open too.

bradleywedge

Visit site

Like people use baskets at supermarkets you mean? No difference in my opinion. As long as people are prepared to use common sense I don't see a problem

Mandofred

Visit site
Ours is just a big field. You were able to get a basket of balls from the pro shop.....but most people like me just bring their own. My shag bag holds about 85-90 balls. I quite often go through it twice. If I didn't hit any drives I wouldn't even have to touch a golf ball. I also go early so I don't have to share the field.
93492618_1557567557747651_1872487315922747392_o.jpg

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Ours is just a big field. You were able to get a basket of balls from the pro shop.....but most people like me just bring their own. My shag bag holds about 85-90 balls. I quite often go through it twice. If I didn't hit any drives I wouldn't even have to touch a golf ball. I also go early so I don't have to share the field.
thats lush!

Chico84

Visit site
Slight diversion off topic but do you then collect the balls you bring with you after you’ve hit them? What happens if someone else is hitting balls too?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Slight diversion off topic but do you then collect the balls you bring with you after you’ve hit them? What happens if someone else is hitting balls too?
When we were allowed to do the same thing and use our own balls, we had an unwritten rule that if someone wanted to wander out and collect their balls the others would simply stop hitting, or hit a few short pitches etc until they had collected the balls and come back in. I marked all of mine with a thick red stripe which made it fairly easy to see but if people didn't mark their balls again the unwritten rule was pick up roughly as many as you hit out

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
I find it stressful to pick up MY 5 balls from a chipping green. Only really use 15 to 20 if i have it to myself.