New Swing Video

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Wrist hinge is difficult if it doesn't come naturally. I struggle with it and spent hours using a swing guide a few years ago, but if other bits of the swing work it's not the end of the world if you can't manage it. If I can manage to get down to 2 with little or none, I don't see why you can't continue to improve

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wrist hinge is difficult if it doesn't come naturally. I struggle with it and spent hours using a swing guide a few years ago, but if other bits of the swing work it's not the end of the world if you can't manage it. If I can manage to get down to 2 with little or none, I don't see why you can't continue to improve
As I mentioned in the other post, I do struggle with strike which is often hitting it slightly fat and up on the ball or level, rather than a downward strike; and I felt like this small bit of added wrist hinge might help improve that. But it's hard to tell if you're hitting it fat at a range mat as opposed to damp grass of course. We'll see what happens this weekend. :p They felt like better strikes so hopefully that proves to be the case, as it's only a small change really, which is the only kind of swing change I like.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As I mentioned in the other post, I do struggle with strike which is often hitting it slightly fat and up on the ball or level, rather than a downward strike; and I felt like this small bit of added wrist hinge might help improve that. But it's hard to tell if you're hitting it fat at a range mat as opposed to damp grass of course. We'll see what happens this weekend. :p They felt like better strikes so hopefully that proves to be the case, as it's only a small change really, which is the only kind of swing change I like.
It will definitely improve the strike by having more WH, I know from my time on the swing guide, tempo can also help with it, when I'm quick thsys when I have little or none.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Last edited:

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He is amazing in what we do in the shadows. ?

Your swing looks tidy, if a little short in the backswing.

Perhaps try standing a little taller at address.

Avoid locking your right leg. A pro once gave me a drill to do at home to try and lose that.
https://www.golfdistillery.com/swing-errors/locking-your-right-knee/

He’s unreal in Year of the Rabbit and Gareth Marhenghis Darkplace too ? Basically he’s the same character in all of them and it’s always funny.

Toast. You’re getting a significant amount of power through impact. That can’t be a bad thing. Lots going right here. This might be the worst piece of advice given on here (and that saying something), but..

how about you make another video - set up, ready to hit the ball, then step away. Put another ball inside the one you were about to hit, closer to you so that you wouldn’t hit it with the heel of the club face. Now take your address to the original ball again, and tilt from the hips only so that you’re clubface is addressing the second ball. Maybe you can’t even take a swing at that ball. Don’t worry don’t hit at it if it’s too strange just have a look at he video and see what you think.

Other than that like I say, there’s a whole lot to like in that swing ??

evemccc

Visit site
He’s unreal in Year of the Rabbit and Gareth Marhenghis Darkplace too ? Basically he’s the same character in all of them and it’s always funny.

Toast. You’re getting a significant amount of power through impact. That can’t be a bad thing. Lots going right here. This might be the worst piece of advice given on here (and that saying something), but..

how about you make another video - set up, ready to hit the ball, then step away. Put another ball inside the one you were about to hit, closer to you so that you wouldn’t hit it with the heel of the club face. Now take your address to the original ball again, and tilt from the hips only so that you’re clubface is addressing the second ball. Maybe you can’t even take a swing at that ball. Don’t worry don’t hit at it if it’s too strange just have a look at he video and see what you think.

Matt Berry is superb in Darkplace ??

evemccc

Visit site
…not hijacking the thread but ? but if you haven’t seen the after show interviews or their commentary over the show, you really are in for a treat ?

Yep - all on YouTube — by far the best bit. Superb characterisation comedy

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

You've totally lost me with that, not gonna lie. I'm not going to try and make myself more upright, honestly can't describe how horrible it feels. I've no desire to start learning how to play from the start all over again. It'd be roughly equivalent to learning how to play left-handed I think. ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Any chance of getting a photo from face on to look at your grip and set up.

Would you say you have a weak left hand grip?

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
You've totally lost me with that, not gonna lie. I'm not going to try and make myself more upright, honestly can't describe how horrible it feels. I've no desire to start learning how to play from the start all over again. It'd be roughly equivalent to learning how to play left-handed I think. ?

Fair enough! Yeah I’ve no mind for a rebuild even though I know it would improve things. No time. I’m just enjoying it for what it is for the foreseeable. I’m quite sure you can play some handy golf with that swing - enjoy!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Great to see a forumer post their swing. People dont do it enough.

Theres plenty to like in the swing and quite a few things you could implement over the winter to improve.
Thing is..I don’t video my swing as I don’t want to see what it looks like.

I’m trying to get an instinctive feel for my swing being in the right place, on the ‘plane for me’. I don’t actually care what it looks like, as what my head thinks about my golf swing; what looks right; what looks not right about it, and what it has to do to change things, are not normally correlated with improving my strike of the golf ball.

And so things like ’wrist hinge’, ‘transition’, even length of backswing, are for me not things I bother about, they’ll be whatever they’ll be or become when I find my instinctive swing, the swing with which I can make the ball do what I want it to do. I have a couple of things relating to my stance, address and ball position I have to make sure I have set about right for each shot, and that’s it.

An occasional check with my pro to make sure I’m not on a path to engrain new bad habits that might limit my scope to improve does me. It’s been hard enough breaking the bad habits of my ‘old’ swing ?

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I like your swing it has many good things going on.

If you were to work on anything I would say loosen your wrists (Not your grip) so that you can allow the club to naturally fold in the backswing then lag in the downswing so you have a better chance of achieving a forward leaning shaft and presenting the club's sweet spot to the ball.

Well done.