Driving ranges?

Mandofred

Visit site
Slight diversion off topic but do you then collect the balls you bring with you after you’ve hit them? What happens if someone else is hitting balls too?
This has been a problem in the past, which is why I go fairly early in the morning. I have a shag bag
BR35Bshagbag.jpg

This holds around 85 balls. I just walk out and pick them up. Usually, if someone else is hitting they go to the other side of the field. Then if anybody else shows up they split as much as possible. With 3 people on the line you probably have about 25 yards or so between people. Although......if there are two other people out there I either leave or I just stick to short less than 100 yard shots. I'm pretty early (7am?) so I might get one other person at the most. My rule is that if someone goes out to get their balls and I'm hitting, I put the long stuff away and stick to wedges until they get back. Some people have been known to keep right on hitting long shots though.....which is why I go early. I usually stick out cones at 40-60-80 and maybe 100 yards....so probably 60-70% of my shots are less than 100 yards anyway. I always go to the far left hand side of that picture near the line of trees, then if another person comes out they can stay a bit away from me. At the near side of the picture (just barely out of sight on left) is one of the old greens/hole from before I joined.....it's used for short game practice now....and the sand trap that's on the right is also from the old hole and is used for bunker practice. If you practice intelligently you can get a couple guys working around the green and 2-3 more at the far end of the field. But again.....I go early. My biggest irritation is that the guy comes to mow the field while I'm hitting and then I have to either quit or go to the practice green.....I swear that guy must wait in the trees until I show up and then giggles and comes out to mow just to drive me nuts.

Mandofred

Visit site
As a follow-up. The club has talked about putting in some hitting bays....but I don't think they've been able to justify the cost. If they did this it would kill me though. If I had to purchase balls to hit every time I wanted to practice I'd stop practicing....and possibly quit. Just playing without practicing isn't worth it to me. I'm a practice person.....even if it doesn't do any good, I like trying to get better.

C&R

Assistant Pro
Visit site
As a follow-up. The club has talked about putting in some hitting bays....but I don't think they've been able to justify the cost. If they did this it would kill me though. If I had to purchase balls to hit every time I wanted to practice I'd stop practicing....and possibly quit. Just playing without practicing isn't worth it to me. I'm a practice person.....even if it doesn't do any good, I like trying to get better.

Yes I am the same. Love practicing on my own at the range

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My club charges £3 for around 50-60 balls or you can pay £70 per annum for unlimited balls. As someone cut from the same cloth as you and enjoys hitting balls and trying to improve and work on my skills this seems a non-brainer in normal years as most evenings I'd be up the club in the evenings. If the course is quiet when I get up there I may go out but if not I'll work on my distance control up to 100 yards or any swing change I'm working on after a lesson

Mandofred

Visit site
My club charges £3 for around 50-60 balls or you can pay £70 per annum for unlimited balls. As someone cut from the same cloth as you and enjoys hitting balls and trying to improve and work on my skills this seems a non-brainer in normal years as most evenings I'd be up the club in the evenings. If the course is quiet when I get up there I may go out but if not I'll work on my distance control up to 100 yards or any swing change I'm working on after a lesson
I'd pay a lot more than £70 for unlimited balls. Not an issue yet, and with the money getting tight (I would think) over the next year or two....I doubt the issue will come up again at our place for a couple of years.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Our range is bays which if they use every other one the SD is fine.Just before lockdown I handled the basket with antiseptic wipe. Never handled a ball- contactless card. Emptied the balls from basket into the tray. Then I
Used only irons so no need to place ball on tee.
Put irons into plastic bag when finished, got home and washed them in soapy water.
Only problem I see is if all the bays are open.
However, quite happy to just play the course for time being.

Mandofred

Visit site
I had to call to find out, but our practice ground is open, although I can't go as early as usual. I had to book it through the office....2 hour slot so that made me happy. Up to 4 people on the whole field.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Just seen a list that the range i go to reopens on Thursday

They've introduced a one way system

You'll be given a pre cleaned basket

No club sharing

No bay sharing

I can live with all of that and will be there hopefully daily !

GBC

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just seen a list that the range i go to reopens on Thursday

They've introduced a one way system

You'll be given a pre cleaned basket

No club sharing

No bay sharing

I can live with all of that and will be there hopefully daily !

GBC
None of the local ranges have anything indicating when they might reopen. Even a big range like Silvermere hasn't posted anything so I assume they are still looking at the best way to function safely. I can see demand being high if people can't get tee times booked at their local clubs, especially at weekends

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was a tad naughty and broke the rules saying no-one could go out onto the field and pick up balls and so have 7-8 full baskets in the garage to use up. I did do it about 6.30am on Saturday mornings (and was helped by a couple of full buckets being left on the range after the kiddies academy lessons) so once we open up again I have some supplies of ammunition to use
If everybody did that, you would be moaning the range had no practice balls.
Isn't that theft btw?

sunshine

Visit site
Haven't taken up the offer. I was a tad naughty and broke the rules saying no-one could go out onto the field and pick up balls and so have 7-8 full baskets in the garage to use up. I did do it about 6.30am on Saturday mornings (and was helped by a couple of full buckets being left on the range after the kiddies academy lessons) so once we open up again I have some supplies of ammunition to use

So you've stolen all the balls from the range, at your home club. Bizarre

sunshine

Visit site
Got an email to say that the A1 driving range at borehamwood reopened today, and pros were giving lessons again.

Not sure about that, can't see how they can maintain social distancing at a big busy range. It's no different to going to a supermarket, but not really as important (well maybe it is for some!).

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Got an email to say that the A1 driving range at borehamwood reopened today, and pros were giving lessons again.

Not sure about that, can't see how they can maintain social distancing at a big busy range. It's no different to going to a supermarket, but not really as important (well maybe it is for some!).

Can you share the detail of the email if you haven’t deleted it yet of course as their website suggests this is not the case?

Chico84

Visit site
The range I go to is opening next Monday, along with the ‘adventure golf’ crazy golf course attached to it. Instructors will be back doing 1 to 1 lessons but not group lessons at the moment.

Not sure how I feel about it at present. I think I’ll probably leave it a week or two and let them get over any teething problems. We will also have a better idea of what impact easing the lockdown has had on infection rates by then and I’ll be better able to risk assess by then. Some will think this is over cautious but that’s just my approach.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The range I go to is opening next Monday, along with the ‘adventure golf’ crazy golf course attached to it. Instructors will be back doing 1 to 1 lessons but not group lessons at the moment.

Not sure how I feel about it at present. I think I’ll probably leave it a week or two and let them get over any teething problems. We will also have a better idea of what impact easing the lockdown has had on infection rates by then and I’ll be better able to risk assess by then. Some will think this is over cautious but that’s just my approach.
No update from and of my local ranges so going to have to make do with the club practice ground. I'm lucky enough to have the option although once HID goes back to work on 1st June I'll have to commute to the club, which I don't fancy and so would prefer a local range in the evening providing it's a safe environment.