Driving ranges?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
England golf issued the guidance on Proshops , lessons and driving ranges today

Pro shops may only be used to take bookings, fees and delivery of parcels
Pro may give one to one lessons only
Full advice on driving ranges is still awaiting government clarification

I don't quite understand how they can allow lessons but haven't worked out what the full story on driving ranges is?

I guess they're going to need to be quite prescriptive about what the appropriate level of cleaning / sanitizing is, and approach to whether the range has to be manned etc.

Most are opening around me, except the one I like using the most. The next nearest has put it's prices up; £10 for 120 balls, or £5 for 60. Quite steep, but not bad given the extra manpower that will be required to run the range in these circumstances.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
some door handle obv thought he was in England this morning, hitting balls in the middle of the local park. hitting full shots with eaither a 6 or 7 iron..

Chico84

Visit site
some door handle obv thought he was in England this morning, hitting balls in the middle of the local park. hitting full shots with eaither a 6 or 7 iron..

It’s been going on for ages where I am. I mentioned before that during lockdown we nearly got hit by some idiot letting his young lads hit balls around the closed course on Wimbledon common. Another bloke on the local pitch and putt, which is in another large local park, was lashing balls around as people were out walking.

I get that some people want to play golf but it’s not necessary to be that selfish.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It’s been going on for ages where I am. I mentioned before that during lockdown we nearly got hit by some idiot letting his young lads hit balls around the closed course on Wimbledon common. Another bloke on the local pitch and putt, which is in another large local park, was lashing balls around as people were out walking.

I get that some people want to play golf but it’s not necessary to be that selfish.
where this guy was hitting from when i saw him was 50 yards from the road than runs along the side, sherman could do some real damage on a normal day, though not many out today as it was raining.. others Obv be doing it as there were balls in the gutter earlier in the week when i came along the road

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just heard that our two teaching pros are each going to be doing two days a week teaching on our range. They'll alternate so that if it's wet they can use our covered bays - but though two bays - only use one.

Don't know what they'll do in respect of range balls. But easy enough to see how balls can be collected by the greens team as normal and washed. The pro can then choose to wear a disposable glove or not when placing a ball for the pupil if the pupil doesn't want to - ensuring pupil and teacher remain 2m apart.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I don't have any time for anyone that thinks it's one rule for them and one rule for everyone else. Selfish is what it is

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just heard that our two teaching pros are each going to be doing two days a week teaching on the range.

Don't know what they'll do in respect of range balls. But easy enough to see how balls can be collected by the greens team as normal and washed. The pro can then choose to wear a disposable glove or not when placing a ball for the pupil if the pupil doesn't want to - ensuring pupil and teacher remain 2m apart.

The risk of contracting the disease from touching a range ball is surely remote if there is any risk at all. Am I missing something?

I could certainly live with that. My only concern with the range is the machine to get balls, but I presume the solution is to have that manned.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
where this guy was hitting from when i saw him was 50 yards from the road than runs along the side, sherman could do some real damage on a normal day, though not many out today as it was raining.. others Obv be doing it as there were balls in the gutter earlier in the week when i came along the road

That's the issue, isn't it? One person doing it isn't really a problem, it's just one person, but other people see it and think, oh good idea, I'll do it too. And before you know it everyone is at it and it's making a mockery of lockdown

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
z
The risk of contracting the disease from touching a range ball is surely remote if there is any risk at all. Am I missing something?

I could certainly live with that. My only concern with the range is the machine to get balls, but I presume the solution is to have that manned.
I think the solution is hand sanitiser. Press the button to get your balls, clean your hands. If you do top tracer do that frequently. Any other risk on teh range is human contact or proximity.

I would like to get a lesson, but the pro is always putting me into position moving my shoulder, hips, head, ... touching the club, ... Can't see an effective lesson without this.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
Just heard that our two teaching pros are each going to be doing two days a week teaching on our range. They'll alternate so that if it's wet they can use our covered bays - but though two bays - only use one.

I cant remember the last time I handled a golf ball at the range - even if the bay doesn't have the auto tees.

I just tip the bucket (gently) on the floor or into the cradle thingy then use a club to get the ball on the mat. if I am using a tee I use the club and my foot to put the ball on the tee

Chico84

Visit site
I cant remember the last time I handled a golf ball at the range - even if the bay doesn't have the auto tees.

I just tip the bucket (gently) on the floor or into the cradle thingy then use a club to get the ball on the mat. if I am using a tee I use the club and my foot to put the ball on the tee

I handle them a fair bit because a lot of mine don’t make it more than a few feet from the bay. I like to give myself a second chance!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
In Homer's defence, if the balls on the practice area are taken there by individuals and discarded, that's always fair game to pick them up if you're intending on using them for practice. That's a whole cycle of hitting balls and leaving them or picking them up.

The baskets though, if they belong to the club, that's not on, they shouldn't be removed, just use your own bag.

he's got 7-8 full baskets, not a handful!
even if the basket only hold 50 balls that's 350-400 balls in his garage

carldudley

Visit site

I've had the same thing on the Common, where I'm a member of one of the clubs. Called the ranger and they swiftly removed them, they're putting people in danger, so many people about walking atm, not worth it. I'd rather take hitting sponge balls than potentially injure someone...

carldudley

Visit site
My local range (World of Golf New Malden) sent an email round the other day saying they're opening up on Monday.

The bays are really big actually, couple of tight spots walking through the shop but should be ok.

Like others have said, baskets, dispensers and Topgolf screens are the things to be careful with.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

I agree. But some folks might choose to let the pro put the ball in place - in the same way as over the last 6-7 weeks when walking on the course I have ignored 'lost' balls I have spotted - and it takes something for me to ignore a 'freebie'.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My local range is still working on the 'logistics', shame as the pro i work with can't do anything. I asked if the short game area was open, so we could b book a lesson there but that's still not an option.

I must admit to taking some range balls once, the range i was using at the time did a happy hour ( that I didn't know about) where it was 2 for 1, so after the basket fill ed and balls kept chugging out, I filled my bag up with the excess and used them next time :rolleyes::whistle: