Driving ranges?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Went to our local range yesterday and they are doing a fantastic job with the current situation - hand sanitiser at the entrance, contact-less payment ball machine (member of staff presses the desired quantity button for you), all buckets sanitised at the end.

The range was taken over by a guy earlier in the year and has turned what was a very basic setup into something much better including a new bar (obviously out of use at the moment), more / better targets, small pro shop.

Was hoping to get a tee time at a local'ish course for today, but they are rarer than hen's teeth!
However, have got a tee time this afternoon at one course that is a 9 hole, nothing special place (Ivinghoe for those in the know) - cheap and cheerful!
Playing with my son who hasn't played for a year or more, really looking forward to some quality father-son time.
Is that Bierton Gary...?
They've done a lot of work on the site - looks better than it did when it first opened
Impressed

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Is that Bierton Gary...?
They've done a lot of work on the site - looks better than it did when it first opened
Impressed

Yes Ian, the guy has done a fantastic job with the range.
The lockdown gave him a good window to do all of the work.
Only downside is 100 balls cost £6.50 now.

Imurg

Visit site
Yes Ian, the guy has done a fantastic job with the range.
The lockdown gave him a good window to do all of the work.
Only downside is 100 balls cost £6.50 now.
It's been that much since Alistair started there more than a year ago....still cheaper than Long Crendon..
Alistair is going to start fitting clubs soon ..

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Would you miss hitting balls for a few quid?
It was more the principle, the extra costs were understandable with the features etc.
Plus another non TT range had already opened so they'd be no "missing out", but I kept that secret from you as it wasn't as interesting ??

Imurg

Visit site
According to GM there hasn't yret been any official guidance from Government or England Golf etc as to whether driving ranges can open or not...
Seem to be plenty making a preemptive decision....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
some door handle obv thought he was in England this morning, hitting balls in the middle of the local park. hitting full shots with eaither a 6 or 7 iron..

That gets you a £60 fine where I live. The rec is monitored by somebody as the the 'out of use' tapes get replaced most days.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our range is closed but Ive played 18 Wednesday and today. Even with "proper balls" my distances are way down on normal, a friend has said the same - odd!

That was one of the funny things for me with all the gardening etc I have put on some muscle and strength and the balls were going a touch further.

Mandofred

Visit site
That was one of the funny things for me with all the gardening etc I have put on some muscle and strength and the balls were going a touch further.
I put a ton of sand into our back lawn (spiking/spreading). I'm doing pushups, sit-ups......I'm still getting older and weaker. I want your drugs.....

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I put a ton of sand into our back lawn (spiking/spreading). I'm doing pushups, sit-ups......I'm still getting older and weaker. I want your drugs.....

I always used to find that after I had decorated a room ie roller painting the walls I used to gain about 5 to yards with my irons soon lost when I got back in to my usual routine of golf, settee then tele.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
According to GM there hasn't yret been any official guidance from Government or England Golf etc as to whether driving ranges can open or not...
Seem to be plenty making a preemptive decision....
We're still waiting for guidance from England golf before opening practice areas (apart from putting green)
Shame as we have lovely practice area

D

Deleted member 1147

We're still waiting for guidance from England golf before opening practice areas (apart from putting green)
Shame as we have lovely practice area
Our short game area is open for 3 people at a time.
The range is opening by appointment only next week.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Im hoping EGU will clarify if driving ranges will be allowed to open. I cant see it happening myself and I saw in the US golf started before ranges did.

I was thinking last night that most ranges have ball washers, a mild disinfectant could be added to decontaminate the balls between uses.

A bit like what has already been announced, common sense says stay 2 meters apart and it shouldn't be a problem.

Just a bit of a Monday morning ramble....

Not that this has anything to do with your post....... but looking at your Avatar I always thought it looked like a lawn mower ?
Just realized it’s a putter :)