Dress Code - Who is responsible?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Jacket and tie does not necessarily equate to smart in the same way that casual attire does not necessarily equate to being a mess. A rule saying all patrons must be smartly dressed, if that is the real aim, would seem to be more apt

D

Deleted member 15344

Smart???????
If you've ever seen someone wearing a jacket over golf attire you'll realise how ridiculous this statement is...
In what Galaxy could wearing a jacket over golf clothes look anything but utterly stupid....?

It's pompous, pure and simple. A rule for the sake of a rule.

Again it's their idea and their rule - they may and prob do see things different to you. And also my statement was aimed towards jacket and tie as opposed to jacket over golf shirt

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Jacket and tie does not necessarily equate to smart in the same way that casual attire does not necessarily equate to being a mess. A rule saying all patrons must be smartly dressed, if that is the real aim, would seem to be more apt

It would be a far more common sense policy but the argument would always be define smartly dressed. It is not that clear cut though is it and how would a club police it.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
A golf course in fantastic condition, with exceptional par 3s, and number of very similar par 4s.

imo not in the same league as the 3 Ws, Hankley or St George's, but still a good course.

the professional clearly doesn't like 'the club'

the 'club' - backward, old fashioned and stuck up their own backsides
Thanks.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Let’s face it this is about the ‘tradition’ of changing for lunch (into whatever, in this case its stipulated as a jacket & tie) presented under the guise of a Dress Code

Is it a tradition at all?
I’ve no doubt that for some social classes changing for lunch was very much the norm or tradition (it’s easy to imagine the upper class doing this in the early 20th century and its depicted in period productions, even when dining at home) So for those at a certain social or class level its undoubtedly a tradition

But similarly I’ve never seen it used historically as normal practice for the common man (or woman, thanks Monty) to change for lunch. Yes I can imagine many working class folks might well change for dinner especially in mixed company or eating out... but not lunch. So unless they visited an upper class venue (which they didn’t) it was never a tradition to change for lunch

The main distinction I can think of from those who’d see it as tradition to those it wasn’t traditional for, is based primarily on a person’s wealth/social status (so a tradition within a class divide)

Can you imagine these traditional clubs even stipulating a dress code a hundred years ago! No of course they wouldn’t, they didn’t need to because the only people allowed in would automatically comply with the expected dress because of their class standing (those that didn’t belong weren’t there anyway)

If I’m kind I could say the club wants you to treat a visit to their course as something very special so please dress up
If I’m harsh I’d say it’s an throwback to an outdated ‘them & us’ class system and some clubs don’t want to let that go

But these days it’s common enough for everyone to know that if they are visiting a posh place then posh dress will be required regardless of time of day, i.e dress appropriately for the venue/function… so the real question is:

Is your golf club seen by you or others as a place befitting of a jacket & tie in order to be seated for lunch?

Fish

Banned
Visit site
The main distinction I can think of from those who’d see it as tradition to those it wasn’t traditional for, is based primarily on a person’s wealth/social status (so a tradition within a class divide)

Can you imagine these traditional clubs even stipulating a dress code a hundred years ago! No of course they wouldn’t, they didn’t need to because the only people allowed in would automatically comply with the expected dress because of their class standing (those that didn’t belong weren’t there anyway)

If I’m kind I could say the club wants you to treat a visit to their course as something very special so please dress up
If I’m harsh I’d say it’s an throwback to an outdated ‘them & us’ class system and some clubs don’t want to let that go

But these days it’s common enough for everyone to know that if they are visiting a posh place then posh dress will be required regardless of time of day, i.e dress appropriately for the venue/function…

You make a good point and one that I think a few were leaning towards but described it incorrectly as being discriminatory, but in all honestly, it is what they are attempting to hang onto, an age old discriminative attitude between them and us and us (the club) being the upper class golf club that them (the lower classes) will have to pull out all the stops to play there and fit in on the day by dressing up accordingly, and knowing that many won't or can't, they simply keep those that they feel are unworthy to play on their hollowed course or walk their corridors, away by there very disguised discriminative rules!

However, I don't agree with your comments in bold, I think this has become more relaxed a great deal over the last few years. I eat out a lot, and even in Michelin Star restaurants I'm not required to get dressed up.

My 'smart but casual' attire will comfortably outprice most people in a suit or J&T so it's not about affordability or class distinction in those establishments, it's about being able to enjoy the experience and more importantly, their food, which if having to sit in a jacket of any kind would spoil.

You could have a fantastic day on a great golf course, enjoy every aspect of the golf, then be subjected to having to change at lunch into a J&T, then back into golf attire to finish your days golf then it's back into a J&T again no doubt having to bring 2 different shirts with you to enjoy, hopefully, the meal afterwards.....so, what is it you will remember about that day the most?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well this got out of hand .....

I've yet to see a dress code thread that doesn't go the same way. In a month a similar thread will occur and exactly the same points will be made. All good fun though and it allows a certain releasing of steam 😁.

I'm not sure how many on here will cope when Comrade Corbyn comes into power and scraps all dress codes as part of his class war revolution. There could be tears 😱

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
You make a good point and one that I think a few were leaning towards but described it incorrectly as being discriminatory, but in all honestly, it is what they are attempting to hang onto, an age old discriminative attitude between them and us and us (the club) being the upper class golf club that them (the lower classes) will have to pull out all the stops to play there and fit in on the day by dressing up accordingly, and knowing that many won't or can't, they simply keep those that they feel are unworthy to play on their hollowed course or walk their corridors, away by there very disguised discriminative rules!

However, I don't agree with your comments in bold, I think this has become more relaxed a great deal over the last few years. I eat out a lot, and even in Michelin Star restaurants I'm not required to get dressed up.

My 'smart but casual' attire will comfortably outprice most people in a suit or J&T so it's not about affordability or class distinction in those establishments, it's about being able to enjoy the experience and more importantly, their food, which if having to sit in a jacket of any kind would spoil.

You could have a fantastic day on a great golf course, enjoy every aspect of the golf, then be subjected to having to change at lunch into a J&T, then back into golf attire to finish your days golf then it's back into a J&T again no doubt having to bring 2 different shirts with you to enjoy, hopefully, the meal afterwards.....so, what is it you will remember about that day the most?

Yeah I agree in terms of restaurants/eating out
I was talking in the wider sense to encompass everything from a mates house for a Bar-Be-Q through to weddings/gala dinners etc. Most folk know what the expectation is

My poshest after golf lunch was at a Michelin star resort with a 9-holer. Course was just OK but the food superb. A change out of golf gear of shorts/polos into more shorts and polos for most of us, great nosh and not a jacket or tie in sight, as you say a very memorable day for the food but no idea what I scored :D

D

Deleted Member 1156

I like to have a choice. Sometimes it's nice to dress up other times tee shirt and jeans are fine. Seems some people on here want to drag everything down to the lowest common denominator which would remove that choice.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a member at a fairly traditional Club where men are still expected to change into jacket and tie in dining room. (I'm not sure what the policy is for society days playing 36 holes but I'll find out.)
For mixed events, the "equivalent" for women seems to be anything apart golf clothing!
Casual or smart dresses, skirt and top, and a lot of smart tops and trousers. In many years of such events, I don't think I've ever worn anything "smart" enough for a job interview or a wedding.

Ross61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I like to have a choice. Sometimes it's nice to dress up other times tee shirt and jeans are fine. Seems some people on here want to drag everything down to the lowest common denominator which would remove that choice.

I don't understand your point. How is dragging it down to the lowest common denominator removing your choice? No one is saying you can't wear a jacket and tie if you wish to. Are you saying you would feel uncomfortable wearing a jacket when nobody else is? If so, why should everyone else wear a jacket just so you can?

D

Deleted member 16999

“The lounge suit was coined years ago. It was a very informal (by 19th century standards of noble gentleman, of course) garment which was meant only to be worn for sports, the country or seaside events.”

Then, the suit came to the menswear furore in the mid-19th century, and quickly became both a casual garment for the posh and a Sunday best-item for the working class. Think off-duty gentleman, when a tuxedo and tails were OTT.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Serious question....
What is the point of that?
I can understand jacket and tie or neither but to go half and half is just ridiculous...Jacket over golf gear..?
Someone's been at the Port ....
So you put your jacket on over your golf gear, walk in, sit down, then talk your jacket off because you're indoors and it's warm. Well worth it! :D

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think the issue was the dress code itself, just that you needed to be psychic to know what it was.

It's a bit of an issue if the club doesn't explain what is required in advance. What I often notice is that even when they do it's always "jacket and tie" with no mention of a women's dress code. I might bring a jacket and tie south with me at the end of the month - just for the bantz!
That's probably because women aren't allowed to sit at the table with the men at these type of places. :lol:

D

Deleted member 23270

Firstly let me say - i have no issues with whatever dress code a golf course wishes to employ. Its their club they can make their rules.

However - Who is responsible for making you aware of those Rules For a whole society day not a normal 4 ball?
(bear in mind this club does NOT have a website and does not communicate via email)

I would say both parties. As an organiser I would ask the question but any society bookings I've been involved with (not many just the odd one now and again) the club have usually provided all the necessary info via letter or email.

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The guys in our society all wear jacket and tie for dinner at all the clubs we go to and the first announcement of the evening is that they can take their jackets off. Why do we bother in the first place?

HDID Kenny

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A 'Green Jacket' looks perfectly fine over golf gear.....if only 😂

I would prefer not to wear a jacket & tie between round of golf, that's just plain nuts. Packed lunch or a Mac D drive through for me at NZ I think 🍔🍟