Dress Code - Who is responsible?

D

Deleted member 23344

Thought I would put this here as it is broadly relevant, rather than start a new thread.

I played a course for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was wearing smart trousers and an equally smart new polo shirt. The guy in the pro shop, clearly embarrassed, said to me "I'm sorry to ask you, but could you please tuck your shirt in ... the members might object". It was no skin off my nose and I did so. However, as I went round the course, I saw a number of guys in scruffy old trousers and tatty old shirts ... albeit shirts that were tucked in.

Now, I can certainly see the need for some sort of dress code, and I understand that a club can make what rules it likes, but is a guy in scruffy trousers and a tatty old shirt, albeit tucked in, REALLY preferable to one in smart trousers and polo shirt not tucked in? I should add that my own club has the same requirement, but I've never seen it enforced ... action seems to be proportionate and reserved only for flagrant breaches, such as football shorts and sleeveless tops. But it is the rule and I would comply if asked.

Research shows that potential new players are put off golf because of its stuffy image and I think that this sort of rule is a perfect example of what they mean.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's fairly casual at my place, with the Pro not brave enough to enforce the dress code we have on the website. Shirts are out, any khaki trousers or shorts allowed, and with those pump type golf shoes, who can tell what players are wearing? The members don't care about it as long as the visitors are paying the dosh. Casual in the clubhouse as well, as it is used mainly on comp day for a (very popular) carvery, who's going to turn away a paying customer in jeans? No one! I've even seen members in in the clubhouse in flip flops in the summer or those croc things.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Wells Golf Club had an EGM called to have a vote to decide

'Shirts tucked in or left out'

The 'left out' won.

I play with some guys who wear the same well known brand of shirt every time they play and having been wearing it for as long as I can remember.

I used to play the same course week after week as a visitor. I always used to wear my oldest bit of kit because they had decided to line the fairways with hawthorn bushes and you could guarantee some part getting a small snag when trying recover a ball from within them.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Wells Golf Club had an EGM called to have a vote to decide

'Shirts tucked in or left out'

The 'left out' won.

I play with some guys who wear the same well known brand of shirt every time they play and having been wearing it for as long as I can remember.

I used to play the same course week after week as a visitor. I always used to wear my oldest bit of kit because they had decided to line the fairways with hawthorn bushes and you could guarantee some part getting a small snag when trying recover a ball from within them.

We had the same - after a 6month trial period the membership voted 1) shirts tucked in on the course unless styled to be work out 2) clean jeans and trainers can be worn in the clubhouse.

Polo shirts are def in the 'tucked-in' category. I have been pulled up on it. Not bothered. Them's the rules. Good to be able to wear jeans and trainers in the clubhouse.

D

Deleted member 23270

You can police a dress code but you can't really define what is scruffy. A tatty pair of trousers might be perfectly presentable to someone else so all you can do is define what rules the item(s) of clothing must adhere to.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't get the "tucked in" rule, seems quite pointless and petty.

At my place the owner, we are not a members club, pointed out that nearly all female golfers have their tops untucked and so rather than upset all of them he offered equality the other way and so men and women can untuck away. I'm with you, I don't understand that particular issue.

How long before the usual reply, "don't play the course if you don't like the dress code"?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
At my place the owner, we are not a members club, pointed out that nearly all female golfers have their tops untucked and so rather than upset all of them he offered equality the other way and so men and women can untuck away. I'm with you, I don't understand that particular issue.

How long before the usual reply, "don't play the course if you don't like the dress code"?

If the membership of my place had decided that we blokes were capable of dressing tidily 'untucked' then we would have voted for that. Though we are a traditional members club we are not dyed in the wool traditionalists - after all - we approved wearing of jeans and trainers in the clubhouse.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's the usual reply because it's the most appropriate reply

If you are a member of a club and don't agree with the dress code then you can look to change it by seeing if the members agree with you - many clubs have adjusted dress codes because people have stood up and asked

If your a visitor then it's always correct and proper to respect the rules of that club , it's their club and they want to run it that way - as you have said - if you don't like that code and don't want to follow it then don't play the course - if it's that bad then the club will suffer but I suspect there isn't many top clubs in the country suffering because of their dress code

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
How long? Not long :rofl:

Most rules in clubs are etched in stone tablets. A hard core are on committees and they make the decisions. My own experience, I have been on two committess, are if those hard core don't want to change then things stay as they are. It could be two people, chairman and secretary that hold the key. It is not a big enough deal to launch a cout over but it means that clubs are left with antiquated rules. Members don't really get a say over this, it rarely gets to SwingIt's stage where a vote occurs and it is not a big enough deal to sufficient existing members to bring about an AGM vote. We are British, we will just grumble and get on with it or grumble and shuffle elsewhere.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Even after all this time, nobody has ever been able to give a reason for having dress codes other than "because they want to"....
If the sexuality of someone shouldn't stop them playing golf why should what they wear prevent it..?

D

Deleted member 15344

Even after all this time, nobody has ever been able to give a reason for having dress codes other than "because they want to"....
If the sexuality of someone shouldn't stop them playing golf why should what they wear prevent it..?

I believe a lot of golf clubs like to keep a good number of the standards and traditions that have evolved through the game over time. Most other sports have the same sort of dress codes of what must be worn.

For me i like it - I having to tuck my shirt in and wear smart golfing attire and the correct footwear - it doesn't bother me one single bit.

When it comes to reasons not to play the game I would stick what people wear pretty close to the bottom of the pile.

D

Deleted member 15344

How long? Not long :rofl:

Most rules in clubs are etched in stone tablets. A hard core are on committees and they make the decisions. My own experience, I have been on two committess, are if those hard core don't want to change then things stay as they are. It could be two people, chairman and secretary that hold the key. It is not a big enough deal to launch a cout over but it means that clubs are left with antiquated rules. Members don't really get a say over this, it rarely gets to SwingIt's stage where a vote occurs and it is not a big enough deal to sufficient existing members to bring about an AGM vote. We are British, we will just grumble and get on with it or grumble and shuffle elsewhere.

My own experience being a member at a members golf club that if you want to change something you can bring it to an AGM and people have been successful - allowing jeans in the clubhouse a perfect example , it was presented to the membership then a vote and was passed. If it's a true members club then they must get a say

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site

I while I agree with you, I do feel obliged to point out the difference here is that you can choose what to wear but not your sexuality.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think things are just evolving.

In the past I was told I had to wear knee length socks wth shorts, change for lunch, jacket and tie in the clubhouse at all times, ....

Thankfully things are now a lot more reasonable and to be honest some of the golf clothing available is of questionable taste at best.

Golf is in the entertainment sector and is having to evolve to survive. If kids want to emulate their heros and wear collarless shirts, lycra tops, trainer type soft spikes, then it's difficult to argue against it.

The LPGA tried to impose a dress code earlier this year and look at the reaction they got!

Now if someone can explain smart casual to me ........

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Like many clubs we have relaxed our dress code on and off the course. I played with one guy this week who wore one green sock and one red just to wind everyone up! And he got away with it.

User 105

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Funny this should be raised again. I think last time I posted that Knebworth was one of the most traditional (i.e. Stuck in the dark ages) clubs I know and have a pretty draconian dress code.

I got an e-mail from the club this morning that after the recent members survey they are relaxing the dress code for the bar. You're now allowed to wear smart jeans, trainers and a collared top. But no-tee shirts or sandles.

Almost fell off my chair, thought it was April 1st.

Shows things can change I guess.

Interested in how many other clubs do members surveys to gauge interest in 'popular' changes to club rules rather than need someone to propose at an AGM etc