Do driver fittings work?

phillarrow

Visit site
So it could be technique that's an issue, hitting down on the ball too much for example.
Or, your shaft flex, location of the kick point, loft etc could be at fault.
So a fitting after lessons is a good idea.

Yes, I think it might be both. I'll complete my lessons and then hopefully invest in a fitted driver and come back to let people know if it worked...for me.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Strange question? It's the fitter that watches the swing and fits the club to help. The driver is designed to do what the club fitter has intended it to do, based on our swings?

Probably best not reading or responding to their nonsense.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
I suppose it depends. In my scenario it massively helped.

My SS is around 100-103, and I knew it hit down on it, slightly out to in. So I was using a 13degree head, had a bog standard reg shaft in it. I knew it wasn’t perfect, but what I didn’t realise is based on how I delivered it etc. Just how bad it was (my carry distance was 200 yards rolling to about 210 peak height was around 140ft with around 5500spin.)

Got fit, carry distance increased by about
20 yards, halved my height, gained about 15 yards of roll on top of carry, spin dropped to 2500-3000)

Very similar results with 3 wood (I was carrying my 4 iron, further than i was carrying 3 wood) similar results.

Would I recommend? 100%, but as I mentioned it’s all relative to how bad what you have is to what your numbers etc are.

Since the fit I have had two lessons.

Pre fit + lessons:
Carry 205
Total distance around 210

Post fit + lessons:
Carry 250
Total distance around 265-270

Seems like a game changer right there - that's anything from 4-6 clubs difference for your second shot, that's huge. Quick few questions though, more out of my own interest rather than addressing the actual question posed in the thread (apologies!).

How much do you put the improvement down to lessons and how much to the fitting? For example, 'Pre-Fit + lessons' - sounds like you were having lessons prior to fitting, so were things improving pre-fit? And immediately after the fitting, what were the stats for before the next lesson (i.e. immediate improvement)? I think an interesting review might be to take your pre-fit driver (if you still have it) and see the stats now that your lessons appear to be paying off.

Also, I'm also interested in what has now happened with your irons or have you changed and fitted those too? I'm thinking pre-fit driver (say 210 drive and carry) was still longest club in the bag so what iron (pre-fit) were you hitting if you had 180 yards into the green and for post-fit (now 260 drive and carry), what iron are you hitting if you have 180 yards left?

Ultimately I'm trying to ascertain how much credit for the improvement is attributed to lessons.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I don't believe fitting is the best way to go - at this stage.
Your issues seem far more likely to be swing related.
So get your swing issues sorted out first. Then consider whether a fitting (I'm a fan) is worthwhile.
Btw. Have you been a cricket player in the past?

Last edited:

phillarrow

Visit site
I don't believe fitting is the best way to go - at this stage.
Your issues seem far more likely to be swing related.
So get your swing issues sorted out first. Then consider whether a fitting is worthwhile.
Btw. Have you been a cricket player in the past?

Yeah that's what I'm doing. I've had the first of six lessons to work on my technique. The pro said that he's not going to make many changes to my swing because there's not an awful lot wrong. He's got me working on my movement at transition and I'm definitely seeing a better shaped ball flight right now, but still the issue of low launch. He actually said at the end of the first lesson that he expects we'll be mainly working on short game after the next lesson - which sounded to me as if he felt there's either not much wrong with my swing...or not much he/we can do about it! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

No, never been a cricket player. I also never had issues with ball height before I stopped playing years ago. It's something new that has come in since returning to golf a couple of years ago.

Anyway, after the six lessons, if it's obvious I've got more swing work to do, I'll keep going. If not, and I'm happy with where my driving is at, I'll save my money. If my swing is solid but my launch is still low, I'll be looking at investing in a new driver. (y)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yeah that's what I'm doing. I've had the first of six lessons to work on my technique. The pro said that he's not going to make many changes to my swing because there's not an awful lot wrong. He's got me working on my movement at transition and I'm definitely seeing a better shaped ball flight right now, but still the issue of low launch. He actually said at the end of the first lesson that he expects we'll be mainly working on short game after the next lesson - which sounded to me as if he felt there's either not much wrong with my swing...or not much he/we can do about it! :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:
Ask him (presumably) why the flight is so low then! In fact make sure he justifies every change he gets you to make (he should do so automatically).
Don't assume anything! He could simply be going through a 'standard' 6-lessons protocol. If so, it's worth discussing with him whether your priorities match - and whether/how to adjust them.

theoneandonly

Blackballed
Visit site
My mate was the same. Slices drives, the fitter said it's not swing path he just has trouble squaring the face at impact. Fitted him the same club, G425 SFT and now he regularly hits a manageable fade instead.

For me, driver fitting absolutely worked. Just over two years ago I did it, ended up with the G410 SFT, but crucially I think with a shaft option that I never would have dreamed of buying were it not for trying it out in the fitting and seeing how much straighter I hit it. Ever since then driving has been the best part of my game, and the most consistent part by far.
How many shots did it knock off your mates handicap ?

Springveldt

Visit site
I suppose it depends. In my scenario it massively helped.

My SS is around 100-103, and I knew it hit down on it, slightly out to in. So I was using a 13degree head, had a bog standard reg shaft in it. I knew it wasn’t perfect, but what I didn’t realise is based on how I delivered it etc. Just how bad it was (my carry distance was 200 yards rolling to about 210 peak height was around 140ft with around 5500spin.)

Got fit, carry distance increased by about
20 yards, halved my height, gained about 15 yards of roll on top of carry, spin dropped to 2500-3000)

Very similar results with 3 wood (I was carrying my 4 iron, further than i was carrying 3 wood) similar results.

Would I recommend? 100%, but as I mentioned it’s all relative to how bad what you have is to what your numbers etc are.

Since the fit I have had two lessons.

Pre fit + lessons:
Carry 205
Total distance around 210

Post fit + lessons:
Carry 250
Total distance around 265-270
I'm not surprised it worked for you, those driver numbers are at the top end of terrible. This is the edge case scenario YouTube fitters dream over.

Post fit + lesson numbers are exactly were I'd expect a 100-103 swing with good launch conditions to be at.
The question was - Do driver fittings work? And I explained in the post that I am asking about whether they make much difference. In my case, I am looking for increased carry and less roll. I don't think anybody has suggested that any kind of club fitting will completely cure every problem a golfer has with their swing. It's obvious (to me at least) that we're not talking about fixing extreme issues that can only be solved with quality lessons, we're talking about reducing the effect of minor issues.
As others have said, it really depends on your current driver. I see you said you are launching at 5-6 degrees so I'd guess fitting could help but a lesson might be more beneficial first.

phillarrow

Visit site
How is it irrelevant? Surely there must be a tangible improvement of scoring or what's the point ?

Enjoyment? Fewer lost balls? Money saved? Sh1ts and giggles? Who cares?

There are so many different facets to a person's handicap that trying to boil golf down into "There's no point doing/buying that because it won't lower your handicap." is just meaningless.

As the OP, I would HOPE that an improvement to my driving would result in a lower handicap. However, if it doesn't but I lose fewer balls and spend less time looking for balls in the rough/trees, I would still consider it a win. (y)

Kennysarmy

Visit site
YES!

Did it 04/19 - Epic Flash Sub Zero - cost was £20 - gained yards and dispersion and now I just know I'm using the best equipment for the job!
Fitting took around 2 1/2 hours to do it properly.

Same guy just did my iron fitting, that started at 1.30 and I left him at 4.40!

Boomy

Visit site
Are you really asking what's the point of keeping your driver in play rather than out of bounds? Really?

I think the thing is, for a lot of golfers the score is irrelevant, they don't keep score, play for fun, play against friends and generally not keep a card - in which case keeping the driver in play is the game changer and extra enjoyment. But for some the score is everything, so if they got a correctly fitted driver for them they'd likely be able to quote that it knocked X number of shots off their average score. Either way keeping it in play helps their games - win win.

I know 100% that when I'm having a good driving day it does save me shots by not hacking out of the rough or losing balls, but I couldn't tell you an average number or factual amount. Drive for dough, and putt for even more dough :)

jwlewes

Visit site
100% helps!
I was a 12 handicap after lessons, was reasonably happy with how I was playing, however was losing shots off the tee, whether it be lost balls, or having to chip out of bushes, penalty shots etc.

Driver fitting and a new driver purchased, and I'm down to a 6 handicap. Rather than losing 2 balls a round (penalties) or having to drop out of unplayable lies, I am now using a club that suits my swing, gets delivered at impact in a much better position that has added distance and reduced spin, I still hit bad shots, but the lower spin and better delivery position mean these don't cost me penalties.

We can all absolutely flush any club out there, once in a blue moon. If you go into a fitting with the hope of making your bad shots better, I believe that is the way to go!

Diamond

Visit site
Had my first ever driver fitting yesterday and it was excellent. Really enjoyed the whole process, digesting the trackman report this morning and it looks like I get 18-20 yards extra carry on average with the budget PXG and the Ping G425. Furthest drive was with the Stealth but far more erratic. The steadiest was the Ping and the shortest carry with it was the same as my longest with my current club. The PXG didnt interest me,didn’t like the look of it but was solid And really surprised me. Only one I didn’t get on with was the Callaway Rogue, couldn’t fault the TSi2 but the PXG and Ping G425 MAX miss hits were better.

JonW

Visit site
Had my first ever driver fitting yesterday and it was excellent. Really enjoyed the whole process, digesting the trackman report this morning and it looks like I get 18-20 yards extra carry on average with the budget PXG and the Ping G425. Furthest drive was with the Stealth but far more erratic. The steadiest was the Ping and the shortest carry with it was the same as my longest with my current club. The PXG didnt interest me,didn’t like the look of it but was solid And really surprised me. Only one I didn’t get on with was the Callaway Rogue, couldn’t fault the TSi2 but the PXG and Ping G425 MAX miss hits were better.

@Diamond - They are good gains. What’s you current driver?

Diamond

Visit site
@Diamond - They are good gains. What’s you current driver?
I have only been playing 2.5 years and bought an 11.5 degree Cobra Airspeed FMAX with regular shaft early 2020. I went from SI 34 to 24 last year and my swing is a lot better. My swing speed is around 93Mph which is with a controlled swing and I knew my current driver is more for 85Mph or less swing speeds.
Going to 10.5 degree with stiff shaft and 65g weighted shaft easily promotes the gains. I think I will visit the fitter and ask to try the PXG and G425 head to head, what I am guessing as the stock PXG just worked but on 2nd batch of shots with the Ping G425 Max he changed the shaft and every Shot was straight and carried to the Best carry my current driver had done.
If I could middle it every other shot I would seriously consider the Stealth because that was as close to my optimised shot as I did all session and I hate red! However performance is everything in my eyes.