Post club fitting

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a club fitting with a local pro and not entirely convinced from the results. Just asking here for a bit of advice on what the numbers mean and what i should be thinking of as a next step on this.

Somewhat considering a full bag fit at precision golf, but also as a cheapskate am looking at second hand irons as well.

Current set are x hot pro 5-pw with dg r300 shafts, std std. 7i Swing speed around 80 upto 87/88 if i step on it but around 80 natural "approach" swing. 150-155 carry with 23 launch about 5.5k spin

Tested a few different heads, and two different shafts, but generally a 95g (elevated?) regular. Best results on the day were the callaway apex (not pro) hitting around 165 carry, 6k-6.2k spin, between 85 and 90 swing speed, getting 95 when i stepped on it. Tried a few different lengths lies, favoured std std, shot shape was a gentle fade, which i understand was from an out to in path.

As i said i wasnt convinced for the fit so didnt buy on the day, not sure where to go next, keen to try out the difference of something in the gap for shaft weight and see how a stiff flex alters things, and for club head was keen to try something more traditonal loft wise.

Asking here so that i can go in with the right questions in mind, and so that i dont waste time on the wrong things to try out.

Have only tested in doors, can take the club out to test on course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What weren't you convinced about..? Did you hit yours on the same launch monitor?
If so then you've got a comparison
You've dropped about 25g of weight off the shaft so that would account for some of the increase in swing speed.
The Apex would have a bit more "pop" than the X Hots as well as a bit less loft
All point to more distance...

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you're swinging a 7 iron at 90mph and upto 95mph
Then I can't imagine you'd be suited to regular flex shafts
Coz that is going some, with a 7 iron mate

I'm sure average on pga tour with 7 iron is 90mph, can't see too many of them being suited to lightweight regular steel shafts.....

Screenshot_20200618_191935_com.android.chrome.jpg

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Should say the swing speed is from a skytrak, since i think there is a difference in where they measure the clubhead speed, however that was why i was questioning the flex. I dont really know what i would see if the flex was wrong, didnt have any dispersion issues (unless what i think is my dispersion is actually a shaft issue?) and it felt solid enough. For comparison I've got stiff shafts in the woods as the regulars felt horrendous there.

Hit mine on the same monitor, which helped be sure of the difference, interestingly i think there is only 0.5 deg between the x hot pro and apex?

Essentially i think there was more i should have tried out, but didnt want to just go back in without a bit of an idea first, i.e. what would a stiffer shaft be solving.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
At the end of the day your speed says you should be in stiff or even X stiff but if your dispersion is acceptable with the regular then it's not really an issue.
It's how you load the shaft and deliver it that matters.
If you're not sure, go somewhere else or go back and Express your concerns.
If the fitter is worth anything he'll double check things to make sure.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If it helps, I had a fitting today and my ss with 7i averaged out at between 85 and 86mph. Low was 84, high was 88
I was fitted for a 105g stiff awt shaft if that means anything?
So at your speed that must be nearly x stiff?

D

Deleted Member 1156

My immediate reaction is that you must be a clubfitter's worst nightmare :ROFLMAO:

80 to 95mph is a massive difference in swingspeed. To get the best from a fitting you need to swing consistently.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
My immediate reaction is that you must be a clubfitter's worst nightmare :ROFLMAO:

80 to 95mph is a massive difference in swingspeed. To get the best from a fitting you need to swing consistently.

Can buy that, my dispersion in swing speed was pretty much around 86/88 with the lighter shaft, not that many on the slower front and faster when i give it some beans. I am going to book in somewhere else for a bit of a second opinion, see what different results i get... then likely buy something neither recommended and be my own golfer, although will stick with the grip choice (+2 layers) as that felt great.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
The shaft weight is a big factor, possibly mores than the flex per se. Fitting average players into fairly stiff but light shafts is common these days. It might be interesting to see what the Mizuno shaft analyser would suggest for you. If high 80s is your normal swing speed with a 95g shaft, but you can push it into mid 90s, that is very quick.

What sort of driver set up have you and what is the swing speed with that?