New driver...but which one?

GeordieGolfer

Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for reading...hopefully this isn't too waffly as I'm struggling with what to do so would like some advice and thoughts.

I'm in the market for a new driver after deciding my trusty i15 needs upgrading after being in my bag for over 10 years. I've enjoyed the driver but it's time for a change and the market has changed somewhat in this time, price now being a big factor. I've also lost a little confidence in the club so would like a fresh start. The club itself was bought after testing a few drivers at a local driving range; 9.5 degree with a stiff Flex Proforce 69 Series Shaft. This suited me for a long time and I enjoyed everything about it.

I have a stretched budget of £200 and after much research have got a few secondhand drivers in mind (from the brands Cobra, Taylormade and Srixon) but this is where it gets tricky. I've never been fitted but have always played a stiff shaft with a lower loft as I hit quite a high ball with a fairly quick swing. With modern clubs having the bonus of adjusting the loft, I'm tempted to stick with the 9.5 or go with the 10.5 knowing that I can change them slightly and play round with the settings on the driving range. What I'm struggling with is the shaft because even looking at the stiff shafts there are a massive choice - my main worry would be ballooning drives so without any science behind it am tempted by the low spinning stiff shafts (for example HZRDUS Black). I also play golf on quite a windy course so want a low flight and not my natural higher flight.

I've booked a free fitting at the local American Golf but will this help? Will they recommend the spec shaft I need or will it be more of a sales pitch? I'm assuming if I get a breakdown of my swing diagnostics I can match this to a shaft. Sadly, I can't stretch to a local pro fitter as my budget won't allow it.

The alternative is to buy drivers that catch my eye and return/sell on if I don't like them.

What are peoples thoughts?

Thank you :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for reading...hopefully this isn't too waffly as I'm struggling with what to do so would like some advice and thoughts.

I'm in the market for a new driver after deciding my trusty i15 needs upgrading after being in my bag for over 10 years. I've enjoyed the driver but it's time for a change and the market has changed somewhat in this time, price now being a big factor. I've also lost a little confidence in the club so would like a fresh start. The club itself was bought after testing a few drivers at a local driving range; 9.5 degree with a stiff Flex Proforce 69 Series Shaft. This suited me for a long time and I enjoyed everything about it.

I have a stretched budget of £200 and after much research have got a few secondhand drivers in mind (from the brands Cobra, Taylormade and Srixon) but this is where it gets tricky. I've never been fitted but have always played a stiff shaft with a lower loft as I hit quite a high ball with a fairly quick swing. With modern clubs having the bonus of adjusting the loft, I'm tempted to stick with the 9.5 or go with the 10.5 knowing that I can change them slightly and play round with the settings on the driving range. What I'm struggling with is the shaft because even looking at the stiff shafts there are a massive choice - my main worry would be ballooning drives so without any science behind it am tempted by the low spinning stiff shafts (for example HZRDUS Black). I also play golf on quite a windy course so want a low flight and not my natural higher flight.

I've booked a free fitting at the local American Golf but will this help? Will they recommend the spec shaft I need or will it be more of a sales pitch? I'm assuming if I get a breakdown of my swing diagnostics I can match this to a shaft. Sadly, I can't stretch to a local pro fitter as my budget won't allow it.

The alternative is to buy drivers that catch my eye and return/sell on if I don't like them.

What are peoples thoughts?

Thank you :)

Have you looked at the second hand sites. Some give a description of the shaft and flex and offer a 7 day return policy. They have loads of models including the adjustable versions from recent years so may be worth a punt and trying it for a few days and if it doesn't suit send it back. My views on AG fittings are well documented on here and aren't favourable (based on three fittings at different stores) but not all AG stores are the same and there are some better ones out there

GeordieGolfer

Visit site
Have you looked at the second hand sites. Some give a description of the shaft and flex and offer a 7 day return policy. They have loads of models including the adjustable versions from recent years so may be worth a punt and trying it for a few days and if it doesn't suit send it back. My views on AG fittings are well documented on here and aren't favourable (based on three fittings at different stores) but not all AG stores are the same and there are some better ones out there

I have read quite a few reviews on American Golf and the feedback is very mixed, it does look like it depends who you get. This is part of the reason I decided to ask the question...knowing my luck I will get someone who's only just started and has never fitted anyone before.

I have looked at a couple of the sites - I am tempted by the 7 day option which is more or less a cost free way of trying the club in familiar surroundings. And I know how I hit my current club for comparison. I had talked myself into this approach until someone from work spent all day today telling me that I had to get fitted...

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
Don't be afraid to try the Benross drivers whilst your there. I don't think they do 9.5° just 10.5° but they are decent clubs and a new one would be under your budget.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Get fitted and try as many different options as you can as the options are ridiculous and a complete minefield.

Low spin heads, straight flight heads, high launch etc etc. the same can be said for shafts, hi/mid/low launch and the same in spin with heavy or light versions. I’m currently using a very light low spin shaft that I have never been fitted for as most fitters never have this spec option in their fitting carts.

Enjoy it.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Playing with the loft settings will alter the face angle though, closing or opening it slightly, so better to find the loft that's right for you.
The other issues you'll find is that there is no standard for 'stiff' and weight of shaft will give you different results too.
Don't discount Ping drivers either, as of you can find the right shaft, they're very good.
American golf will give you an idea of things, but as others have said, it depends who you get. If you're not happy with how the fitting is going, then tell them what you wanted and they should pull their fingers out!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Get fitted and try as many different options as you can as the options are ridiculous and a complete minefield.

Low spin heads, straight flight heads, high launch etc etc. the same can be said for shafts, hi/mid/low launch and the same in spin with heavy or light versions. I’m currently using a very light low spin shaft that I have never been fitted for as most fitters never have this spec option in their fitting carts.

Enjoy it.
There's a good reason or that! Weirdo! ?

GeordieGolfer

Visit site
Thanks all, some good suggestions there.

I looked at the cheaper brands such as Ben Ross but as this is a long-term purchase, I think I would feel happier with a "branded" club in my bag. Hence I thought buying a one which is a few years old would make more sense for me.

The Ping is an interesting suggestion. I had originally looked at the Ping but ruled this out as I couldn't decide whether or not the Max would launch too high. I hadn't really considered the LST.

A couple of questions on the G400s...
- how do they compare to the more modern Pings? Have they stood the test of time?
- could I get fitted for a new Ping and then use this info to buy a G400? Assuming the heads and shafts are similar?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thanks all, some good suggestions there.

I looked at the cheaper brands such as Ben Ross but as this is a long-term purchase, I think I would feel happier with a "branded" club in my bag. Hence I thought buying a one which is a few years old would make more sense for me.

The Ping is an interesting suggestion. I had originally looked at the Ping but ruled this out as I couldn't decide whether or not the Max would launch too high. I hadn't really considered the LST.

A couple of questions on the G400s...
- how do they compare to the more modern Pings? Have they stood the test of time?
- could I get fitted for a new Ping and then use this info to buy a G400? Assuming the heads and shafts are similar?
The G400 is a great club.
It’s as good as the new ones imo
I still have my Alta stiff shaft off it in my G425. Adapter change though as it has a flat setting.
The G425 is imo a tad more accurate for me no longer than the G400 but for your budget you can’t go wrong.
If it dosnt work you always get your money back on Ping more or less
If your going for a fitting keep your options open, but yes a fitting for a G425 is not a lot off a G400 the shaft hasn’t changed that much.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think the only thing the G410 and 425 have over the 400 is adjustability.
There is adjustability on the 400 but not a lot.
If you don't need much adjustability then the 400 is as good as the others.

GeordieGolfer

Visit site
Thanks both, very helpful.

There seems to be a shortage of Pings on the market so I might also look at the Taylormades as well. Keep my focus on those two brands as I've never hit one of those before and they have always tempted me (even if to just rule out).

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Thanks both, very helpful.

There seems to be a shortage of Pings on the market so I might also look at the Taylormades as well. Keep my focus on those two brands as I've never hit one of those before and they have always tempted me (even if to just rule out).
Ping have, virtually, nothing to sell at the moment so any decent used clubs are going fast..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site